More problems with the shop that did my re-gear

Sticks702

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Black Widow
A few days ago, I posted about the service 4WD system light coming on in 4L after a re-gear. After programming in 5.13 gears this issue "seems to have gone away", but I have not had the chance to trail test it yet as there is now a new issue. My lack of faith in this shop is increasing. So after I picked up the Gladiator from the shop that did the work, on the way home, I started to hear what sounded like a bearing whine, metal on metal turning into a screech. I immediately took the Jeep back and took the service manager for a ride, and he said it sounded like the caliper backing plate was rubbing on the rotor and to let them have it for a few more hours, They called me to come and pick it up and said my steering stab was hitting something moving and they rotated it and fixed the issue. The steering stab is not close to anything that could cause that noise, but I picked it up anyway. I drove out of the lot, and low and behold, the noise was still there and getting worse. Took it back for the third time, and they kept it overnight. They called me yesterday and said it was the pinion bearing, and they had a new one on the way in. So obviously, they put too much preload on the pinion and smoked the bearing. I asked that before they button it up today, they provide me with the specs for preload, pinion depth, and backlash, as well as another photo of the gear pattern. I was told that since they were just doing the pinion bearing, they did not redo any of the gear installs and did not have those numbers. Am I crazy to think that the tech that did the original install would have these numbers written down in my file in case anything went wrong? I got a labor and material warranty on the work from them, which, at this point, seems like a godsend. I am at the point now where I want to take it to another shop, pay them to tear it down, and put it back together again to the correct specs because I absolutely no longer trust the shop that is doing it. If I do, and find that it is improperly done, again, do you all think I would have any legal recourse against the shop that did the crappy work? Getting very frustrated. I spent a fair amount of $'s on gears and lockers and now I am gonna be afraid to drive the damn thing.
Sponsored

pcrawfordpt

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
PT
I had an issue with my re-gear on the front diff, however it took several thousand miles to appear. It turned out to be the pinion. The shop tired to reset it, but the gear pattern was trash, so they just replaced everything. it’s been fine now for several thousand miles. If yours only had a few miles on it and the pattern after adjustment was good, you should be good. you have the extended warranty, maybe just play it out? however, since you asked, they should have shown you what they did to fix it, just for your peace of mind.

djthumper

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Sport S Eco Diesel, Jeep Renegade
Occupation
I.T.
I would be interested in what shop did the work, there are a few shops in town that I have heard some problems with.

BigBry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Mojave
I always pay for stuff like that by credit card and pay it off when I’m satisfied with product or service. . The consumer protections have teeth. Filing a dispute will get their attention and if it’s not resolved to your satisfaction they will refund the money. I had a boat shop that did crappy work. Paid them and disputed bill. Sent photos of disputed work. Didn’t have to pay the charge and took it to another shop to do it right.

MojaveLawyer

First Name
Agent X
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Law & Veteran
A few days ago, I posted about the service 4WD system light coming on in 4L after a re-gear. After programming in 5.13 gears this issue "seems to have gone away", but I have not had the chance to trail test it yet as there is now a new issue. My lack of faith in this shop is increasing. So after I picked up the Gladiator from the shop that did the work, on the way home, I started to hear what sounded like a bearing whine, metal on metal turning into a screech. I immediately took the Jeep back and took the service manager for a ride, and he said it sounded like the caliper backing plate was rubbing on the rotor and to let them have it for a few more hours, They called me to come and pick it up and said my steering stab was hitting something moving and they rotated it and fixed the issue. The steering stab is not close to anything that could cause that noise, but I picked it up anyway. I drove out of the lot, and low and behold, the noise was still there and getting worse. Took it back for the third time, and they kept it overnight. They called me yesterday and said it was the pinion bearing, and they had a new one on the way in. So obviously, they put too much preload on the pinion and smoked the bearing. I asked that before they button it up today, they provide me with the specs for preload, pinion depth, and backlash, as well as another photo of the gear pattern. I was told that since they were just doing the pinion bearing, they did not redo any of the gear installs and did not have those numbers. Am I crazy to think that the tech that did the original install would have these numbers written down in my file in case anything went wrong? I got a labor and material warranty on the work from them, which, at this point, seems like a godsend. I am at the point now where I want to take it to another shop, pay them to tear it down, and put it back together again to the correct specs because I absolutely no longer trust the shop that is doing it. If I do, and find that it is improperly done, again, do you all think I would have any legal recourse against the shop that did the crappy work? Getting very frustrated. I spent a fair amount of $'s on gears and lockers and now I am gonna be afraid to drive the damn thing.
Document everything (detailed). Take pictures.

1. Breach of Contract.
2. Negligence.
3. State by state, consumer protection laws.

Hope this is a good start. Consult with an attorney within your jurisdiction. (This one is on the house)

- Seg

Sponsored

Panthers65

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Occupation
Account Manager
describe the noise, is it a constant high pitch noise or a "UFO" type sound? Does it does it all the time, or just when your one the gas/off the gas/coasting?

Sikjeep2

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Wow, some of you guys are jumping the gun. I don't think you need to go get a lawyer.

If there is a issue always give the shop a chance to make it right. Could very easily be a defective product and not a install issue at all. I know allot of guys don't write down set up numbers. I know some old timers that set up completely by feel and never have issues.

What brand gears did you get?

I have been a fan of using Dana Spicers on the JL/JT. I have see some pinion issues on other brands in low mileage.

OP
OP
Sticks702

Sticks702

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Document everything (detailed). Take pictures.

1. Breach of Contract.
2. Negligence.
3. State by state, consumer protection laws.

Hope this is a good start. Consult with an attorney within your jurisdiction. (This one is on the house)

- Seg
Thanks for the detailed info!

OP
OP
Sticks702

Sticks702

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow, some of you guys are jumping the gun. I don't think you need to go get a lawyer.

If there is a issue always give the shop a chance to make it right. Could very easily be a defective product and not a install issue at all. I know allot of guys don't write down set up numbers. I know some old timers that set up completely by feel and never have issues.

What brand gears did you get?

I have been a fan of using Dana Spicers on the JL/JT. I have see some pinion issues on other brands in low mileage.
Thank you. I went with Dana/Spicer, as, in my opinion, they are the best. I am still learning all that goes on and has to go right in a diff change on a Jeep. I fear something else underlying in the front will not show up until a very inconvenient time. I did not get the warm fuzzy from the shop after the repairs of the initial regear. I had it out on a run this weekend, and it seems fine, but the whole experience has left me with a serious lack of confidence in my Gladiator on the trail now. Instead of enjoying the experience, I am worrying about what is gonna go wrong next.

Sikjeep2

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Copy, It is always a good idea to change fluid after 1000-2000 miles. See if they will pull the cover at that time and check the pattern for you for piece of mind. They can also check the preload on the pinion bearings and make sure it is still in spec.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Sticks702

Sticks702

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well this saga is continuing. Something popped in the rear diff today, accelerating from a stop light, and there is now a significant vibration in the driver's seat at anything above 40mph that gets worse with speed. There is also a screech under the initial accel, a "whirr" when decel/ coasting, and a distinct whine backing up in reverse. I know I am new to this, but it seems like it is even more screwed up than it was before. WTF is going on here?

texanjeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport-S Granite Crystal Metallic
Occupation
I.T.
Document everything thoroughly, but give them the chance to make it right. It's when they start acting like they're tired of trying to make it right, that it's time to start thinking about legal representation.

I'd not count on any warranty support either - there may be a good chance that it's voided now.

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
Who's the mechanic? Give us a place not to go to have stuff done. Not in Vegas myself. But I did have work done down there at Vegas 4X4

BigBry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Mojave
That really sucks. At this point you’re better off getting them to make it driveable with unnoticeable issues then immediately dumping it at a dealer as a trade for a deeply discounted 2023. You may still be in the hole but I doubt you’ll ever trust that truck again to get you back to the pavement. Even if someone else fixes it.

OP
OP
Sticks702

Sticks702

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Who's the mechanic? Give us a place not to go to have stuff done. Not in Vegas myself. But I did have work done down there at Vegas 4X4
100% NOT Vegas 4 X 4. I should have taken it to American OffRoad Customs, who is probably gonna be the shop that ends up finishing the job.
Sponsored