Moving from Vegas to Northern Minnesota

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
Just get ready for being passed only for them to do the exact same speed but in front of you. It's a MN, I couldn't ever really understand it.
Sponsored

BDoug

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.pgfarm.com
Vehicle(s)
03 F250 6.0 Diesel, 2017 E250 Transit Van
Occupation
Specialty crop farmer
You might find it best not to use your heated windshield wipers or even defroster when snowing (unless your windshield fogs). When your windshield is cold, the dry snow will bounce off. if the glass is warm, the snow will stick then turn to ice, making your wipers ineffective. I don't know why I know this.

Also, just to set expectations, at about 15 below, seat cushions lose their "give" and it's like sitting on a block of wood. Kinda weird the first few times.

IRQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT, 95 YJ
Everyone here, as well as everyone that I met in Minnesota on my first visit, have been extremely helpful. If this is how midwesterners are, I think that I am going to be fine and really enjoy living there.

For my first winter I am going to try not to venture too far and really pay attention to what everyone else is doing. Here are the things that I am planning to do.
  • Put together an emergency kit to keep in the truck
  • Get a block heater cord
  • Install heated wiper blades
  • Invest in large quantities of wiper fluid and bug spray
  • Get a set of Maxtrax
  • Buy some really good winter clothing
  • Apply an undercoating
  • Install a winch and get some recovery gear so that I can help others
  • Enjoy my new midwestern lifestyle!
Take a road trip to Ely and stop in Steger Mukluks and grab a pair of boots, warmest boots you can buy.

Last edited:

nonorrys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
Thanks for your help. We're thinking of moving to The North Star State with my wife. The houses here donā€™t cost as much as homes in major cities like LA, NY and we work remotely. Weā€™re interested in buying property in Minnesota and looking for a reliable moving company. https://starkmovers.com/malden-movers/ malden movers is a good one?

Sponsored

The Crusader

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting gray JTSD.
Occupation
Field Engineer
Insulate your hard top after you paint it with bedliner paint.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™d hold off on buying tire chains until you get there.

Tire chain laws vary dramatically from state to state. In fact, they were illegal in Ontario from what I recall.

Unlike the snow we get west of the Rockies, the snow they get in the Midwest is very dry. Nine times out of 10, a good set of tires, a rear LSD and a steady foot is all you need.
Exactly. I grew up in WI and needed chains exactly zero times. Good three peak rated tires like your existing at3wā€™s and defensive snow driving. Youā€™ll be all good.

Rocksalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
forget tire chains I grew up in N MN and still own property there. Nobody needs chains. Nobody. Good AT tires will be fine. Dedicated winter tires better but not necessary.

Sponsored

DailyMoparGuy

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 3.6L
Occupation
Engineer
Like others saidā€¦scrapers for your windshield and winter windshield washer fluid.

Also drive slow as you feel comfortable driving in snow. Some people fly around at 70 mph in snow on the interstate but itā€™s perfectly fine to go slower. DONT feel like you need to keep up with everyone else driving fast in those conditions. The truck that passes you going fast on snowy roads will be the same one you see later down the road wrapped around a tree.

Iā€™d keep some blankets/coats in the truck as well just in case you get trapped on a road in a blizzard or lostā€¦who knows. It happened to me and my buddy in college in West Virginia once after spring break of all times.

Congrats on the move!

Rocksalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
guess what? Folks in N Mn drive regular cars... unless you live out in the forest with no plowed roads, you will be fine with a Prius... jeezus folks need to get a grip

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
guess what? Folks in N Mn drive regular cars... unless you live out in the forest with no plowed roads, you will be fine with a Prius... jeezus folks need to get a grip
Yep. I never owned a vehicle with 4wd in WI winters. Rear and fwd cars and vans. Youā€™ll do great in a JT with falken ATā€™s. The block heater will help your diesel though.