Sponsored

Muffler Delete videos - crackle/pop + drone

Ryan...

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Willys
Decided to go with a muffler delete, thought I would share my opinions because my experience varies from what I read before doing this.

My truck: '21 Willys, 6 speed, soft top, 33 Falken ATs. I drive about 95 miles a day for work, with at least 85 of that at 68-73 mph. Typically I do that in 5th gear where the truck feels most comfortable, and that's usually around 2200-2400 RPM.

1) Almost everyone says there is no drone with a muffler delete if you leave the resonators... I left both resonators in place, only had the muffler removed. There is most certainly at least a little drone on the highway in that 2100-2500 RPM range. Is it bad? No, not nearly as bad as some of my previous vehicles with straight through exhausts, but you can most certainly hear it. I can play with speed/gear a bit to navigate around it, mainly by shifting into 6th gear and dropping my RPM closer to 2k. Only downside to that is now instead of going into "auto pilot" I just have to pay more attention and be ready to downshift if I need to go around anyone. Not a big deal, but when you drive about 25-30k a year it's nice to relax the brain on those long boring drives from time to time

2) I get some "pops" before the engine/exhaust gets up to temp. Haven't seen that before, I get it just slowly rolling through my neighborhood between 1-2-3 gear. Once up to temp it goes away.

3) Overall I think it sounds pretty good when cruising around the city. Its nice to actually hear something when revving up to 3k, other than the engine valvetrain coming through the dash.

In all likelihood I'll keep it, but if not I'll look for a small cheap straight through muffler just to take a couple more dBs out.

** That's mud on the exhaust from my trip to The Badlands off road park, not rust **

Jeep Gladiator Muffler Delete videos - crackle/pop + drone 53235180488_c304ce7346_c

Cold start, rev'd to about 2500 RPM

Sponsored

RodRecket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AEV JT370
I'm not familiar with the claim that if you remove the muffler there is no drone... what I have done on two different JTs now is taken off the back resonator and just slash cut the pipe after the axle. That is almost indiscernible.

ATL_Rubi

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Caretaker to various super cars
Occupation
Sales
Decided to go with a muffler delete, thought I would share my opinions because my experience varies from what I read before doing this.

My truck: '21 Willys, 6 speed, soft top, 33 Falken ATs. I drive about 95 miles a day for work, with at least 85 of that at 68-73 mph. Typically I do that in 5th gear where the truck feels most comfortable, and that's usually around 2200-2400 RPM.

1) Almost everyone says there is no drone with a muffler delete if you leave the resonators... I left both resonators in place, only had the muffler removed. There is most certainly at least a little drone on the highway in that 2100-2500 RPM range. Is it bad? No, not nearly as bad as some of my previous vehicles with straight through exhausts, but you can most certainly hear it. I can play with speed/gear a bit to navigate around it, mainly by shifting into 6th gear and dropping my RPM closer to 2k. Only downside to that is now instead of going into "auto pilot" I just have to pay more attention and be ready to downshift if I need to go around anyone. Not a big deal, but when you drive about 25-30k a year it's nice to relax the brain on those long boring drives from time to time

2) I get some "pops" before the engine/exhaust gets up to temp. Haven't seen that before, I get it just slowly rolling through my neighborhood between 1-2-3 gear. Once up to temp it goes away.

3) Overall I think it sounds pretty good when cruising around the city. Its nice to actually hear something when revving up to 3k, other than the engine valvetrain coming through the dash.

In all likelihood I'll keep it, but if not I'll look for a small cheap straight through muffler just to take a couple more dBs out.

** That's mud on the exhaust from my trip to The Badlands off road park, not rust **

53235180488_c304ce7346_c.jpg

Cold start, rev'd to about 2500 RPM

I run a turndown pipe right beneath the drivers seat (where the rear exhaust section connects to the downpipes) so no resonators and no muffler. Dumping it there wasn't my first choice, but the cheapest and easiest. I get drone at 65-70 but that's about it. It was worse before i was able to get the turndown pipe installed.

Slam it from 2 to 3 at about 5,000+ rpm and you'll even get what the VAG crowd calls "exhaust farts"

OP
OP
Ryan...

Ryan...

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Willys
I'm not familiar with the claim that if you remove the muffler there is no drone... what I have done on two different JTs now is taken off the back resonator and just slash cut the pipe after the axle. That is almost indiscernible.
Seems to be the common theme on the FB pages, maybe they're running mud tires and just don't hear it over the tire hum lol

I run a turndown pipe right beneath the drivers seat (where the rear exhaust section connects to the downpipes) dumping it there wasn't my first choice, but the cheapest and easiest. I get drone at 65-70 but that's about it.

Slam it from 2 to 3 at about 5,000+ rpm and you'll even get what the VAG crowd calls "exhaust farts"
I think mine has seen 5k maybe once, trying to make it up the last 25 ft of a particularly steep incline at The Badlands park.

Sponsored

piroman683

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gladiator
I cut mine off right after the resonator under the driver's seat. At first there was a noticable drone at highway speeds(just a straight cut 2 in off the resonator)

After a week I added on a 12in long turn down and pretty much eliminated the drone. On 37's and 5th gear (4.56 rears) doing 73-75 I'm around 2450 rpm and minimal engine load - I hear nothing. But shift into 6th and it's noticable

I now have the Magnuson Supercharger and it sounds way different on WOT, normal driving every sounds fine

sl65racer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon
Occupation
None
I swapped for a straight pipe keeping the two resonators. 8 speed auto and at 70 mph in 8th gear with 37” KO2s and 4.88 gears I barely hear the exhaust above the wind. Not sure what rpm it’s turning, haven’t paid attention. I don’t get drone at other speeds either. It’s a wife friendly exhaust. Perhaps the long exhaust with stock exit minimizes it.

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
i did the same: deleted the middle suitcase while leaving both resonators. I don't hear any drone and have never heard a pop. also 6spd

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
I deleted the front resonator for improved ground clearance. I replaced it with a 2' piece of 2.5" pipe expanded to 2.58" ID at the ends to slip over the factory pipes. I noticed no real difference in sound.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ryan...

Ryan...

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Willys
i did the same: deleted the middle suitcase while leaving both resonators. I don't hear any drone and have never heard a pop. also 6spd
Interesting, guessing you don't have any extra sound deadening either. I have carpeting + Jeep rubber mats front and rear. Not sure why some seem to have drone and others have nothing.

I don't think I have sensitive ears either, I've been riding loud motorcycles for years with no ear protection, shooting guns, etc so if anything I'm leaning more towards the "going deaf" end of the spectrum

DailyMoparGuy

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 3.6L
Occupation
Engineer
Suitcase swap with Flowmaster 40 and rear muffler delete (little resonator left on). It drones on the highway @65+, screams when I’m on it, farts here and there

Wouldn’t do it again but pretty fun around town

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Interesting, guessing you don't have any extra sound deadening either. I have carpeting + Jeep rubber mats front and rear. Not sure why some seem to have drone and others have nothing.

I don't think I have sensitive ears either, I've been riding loud motorcycles for years with no ear protection, shooting guns, etc so if anything I'm leaning more towards the "going deaf" end of the spectrum
Ah yea... I do have sound deadening. Armorlite flooring. That would mask some drone, but wouldn't mask any pops.
Sponsored