My experience, OEM sport s shocks to Falcon SP2 2.1

SkyKing

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Have you had the steering box replacement TSB done?
Yes, currently on #3.
I have the SteerSmart Sector Shaft brace installed as well. I’ve had very poor luck with OEM steering components AND the local Jeep service center. There was a competent service manager but the dealership changed his job…

I have installed all SteerSmart YETI components. I love them.

I have a ARE bed cap. Maybe my rig is top heavy and wallers about on a narrow tire with weak sidewalls.
I installed a TERAFLEX 1.5” leveling kit, maybe I should have dropped he rear end 1.5” instead.
Wider tires?? Wider stance? My wife hated 33s I had on a Rubi…
Sponsored

SkyKing

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When I first got my 22 Rubicon it wasn’t fun to drive. Even after lowering tire pressure at highway speeds it wandered badly, felt like floating, and required constant steering correction. First mod was adding the 1/4” longer front LCAs from the Mopar lift kit to give me a little more caster and they helped. The wandering was still there but not as bad. A few months later I replaced the original Fox shocks with a set of Eibach pro truck. This was another big positive improvement. Now a very small amount of wander and the wind did not push me around nearly as badly. A couple weeks ago I installed my first lift, Clayton 2.5” Overland Plus and for shocks I went with Falcon 3.1s. After the lift and shocks, there is no wander at all and Jeep tracks straight as an arrow. I came home thru tonight thru a small 14 mph south wind and did not have to correct steering at all.
very interesting. I just order new shocks. Maybe I need to cancel and rethink the next move.

SkyKing

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When I first got my 22 Rubicon it wasn’t fun to drive. Even after lowering tire pressure at highway speeds it wandered badly, felt like floating, and required constant steering correction. First mod was adding the 1/4” longer front LCAs from the Mopar lift kit to give me a little more caster and they helped. The wandering was still there but not as bad. A few months later I replaced the original Fox shocks with a set of Eibach pro truck. This was another big positive improvement. Now a very small amount of wander and the wind did not push me around nearly as badly. A couple weeks ago I installed my first lift, Clayton 2.5” Overland Plus and for shocks I went with Falcon 3.1s. After the lift and shocks, there is no wander at all and Jeep tracks straight as an arrow. I came home thru tonight thru a small 14 mph south wind and did not have to correct steering at all.
The lower control arms seems reasonable since I raised the front 1.5”, leveling kit.
SteerSmarts has us tow out slightly.

Idlethunder

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
very interesting. I just order new shocks. Maybe I need to cancel and rethink the next move.
I am learning as I go but everything I've done has been after a lot of reading here on the forum about the experience others have had. So far this has worked well and everything I’ve done to mine has been an improvement. Even after reading others say how much better their Jeeps drive and handle after installing a lift, I honestly did not expect this much of an improvement. My wife drove mine right after I bought it and hasn’t been willing to drive it again. Coming home from dinner tonight I talked her into trying it again. It was fun to watch because she was smiling the whole time.

Idlethunder

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
The lower control arms seems reasonable since I raised the front 1.5”, leveling kit.
SteerSmarts has us tow out slightly.
After watching some you tube videos I played with the toe a little and really could not tell very much difference but I never moved it more than 1/4". Mine is towed in about 1/8" now

Sponsored

SkyKing

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

SkyKing

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not exactly a shock issue but I do want to get the word out.

2020 Gladiator Overland.
I installed a Teraflex 1.5” leveling kit.
https://teraflex.com/jt-1-5-performance-spacer-leveling-kit-no-shocks.html

I’ve experienced trouble with OEM steering components and bad gearboxes. I’ve installed SteerSmarts components and multiple aftermarket shocks but the Jeep never handled properly for me, especially at highway speeds.

Today I solved my problems.
I installed Teraflex adjustable lower control arms.
https://teraflex.com/jl-jt-alpine-short-control-arm-kit-front-lower-0-4-5-lift.html

I adjusted the new arms 3/8” longer than the OEM arms.
Now the Jeep is rock solid at 80 mph.
I will have the caster set to 8° for my preference of only on-road use.

It appears the root cause of my handling problem was caster. Factory sets caster at approximately 6° by the length of the lower control arms. When I lifter the front end 1.5” it changed the caster on my Jeep enough to be a nightmare at highway speeds.

The tech support at Teraflex guided me to the solution. Maybe this is common knowledge but might not be for the common Jeep owner. Now I know and I hope this information helps someone else!
Good luck and be safe!
JK
Sponsored