First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 GC Ltd
Occupation
Retired
I've had it happen a couple of times. Didn't lose anything so that's a good thing. I have the factory tonneau cover on mine. When I close the gate, I give it a pull to make sure it's fully closed. Wouldn't want to lose over $250 in groceries from BJs because the gate opened :LOL: :LOL: But, seriously, no matter where I've been and had to open the gate, I just give it a tug to make sure it's closed securely. 99 44/100% of the time it is.
Sponsored

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Mine fell open and I lost my freedom panel bag. No idea where it ended up. Now I slam the crap out of it.

DavdZ

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2016 Ural 2008 Mercury Mariner
Had it happen twice, I know one of them was trying to open only to find frozen to cover, the other time I assumed the same.
I now carry a putty knife to slid between the top of the tailgate and cover to "unfreeze" it.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Only time I've had it happen was after trying to open the tailgate only to find it was frozen to the tonneau cover and would not open, so I just drove off. After it warmed up it opened.
Not to sound like a high priest for Tazer, but one of the features it adds that Jscan and the rest can't do is it lets you EASILY activate the rear cam whenever you want. Easy way to check if you left the tailgate open.
Can't you activate the camera while driving anyway, I got the cheap small screen in mine and you can turn the camera on.

GOCAMPN

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Disabled Military Retired
My tailgate opened only once, was fully loaded up so I expect something got in the way. I always give it a good shut and tug now.

Sponsored

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Can't you activate the camera while driving anyway, I got the cheap small screen in mine and you can turn the camera on.
You can, but it's a pia to go through the menus and apps while you're moving to find it. The tazer maps it to a physical button (press mute twice)

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
You can, but it's a pia to go through the menus and apps while you're moving to find it. The tazer maps it to a physical button (press mute twice)
I gotcha, I don't have all the apps on mine just the basic one. You just hit the more button and then you can turn it on by hitting the rear camera.

Jeep Gladiator My tailgate falls open sometimes... 16481203707557343997840561343323

Jeep Gladiator My tailgate falls open sometimes... 16481204060523464561616324398762

GCoop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT Mojave ( ̶O̶n̶ ̶o̶r̶d̶e̶r̶)
Happened to me once. Puzzled me for a bit though. It is just because it didn't latch all the way. I can replicate now at will if not enough pressure is applied at close. I have factory bedliner and Mopar hard tonneau.

Garemlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Willys Gladiator
I've had it happens few times. The only way I knew is my rear parking sensors went crazy when backing up. I'm very mindful of making sure I close it with some force.

I actually have got into the habit of pulling up the backup camera when driving after I had the tailgait open just to make sure it's closed.

Sponsored

MikeyK

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Teacher
Hasn’t happened yet, but I closed it in the garage and noticed that it looked loose. I didn’t close it hard enough. Gave it a good slam, closed tight!

JohnFinx

First Name
Fin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 1988 Cherokee , 1969 Plymouth Satellite Conv
Occupation
Telecom engineer
Vehicle Showcase
It's happened to me about 6 times. Mostly when the wife closes it. I've watched her, and I don't see any reason why it doesn't latch.
I also saw a gladiator a couple days ago, back full of groceries, and their gate was down too. They were going up a ramp to the highway, so I couldn't catch them to tell them it was open.
Sponsored