Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
Installed fire sprinklers (retired)
Are you a comedian in real life? Because that was hilarious….:facepalm:

I do agree that outside of your gun safe, no handgun should ever be carried or stored without a holster that shrouds the trigger. Particularly in a center console or glovebox that could hold other items that could snag a trigger.
So what is CCH?
Sponsored

Jeepasaurus_Rex

First Name
Mike🖤
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 KJ -- '21 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Lol at the CCH stuff. Well... and the rest of this thread.

As far as I know, CCH is - Conceal Carry Handgun. It is a type of permit.
I think its just a less widely used nomenclature.

In Texas we don't need a permit or anything anymore, for both open or concealed carry. Vehicles are theoretically an extension of your home/castle.

I've been looking for a good, secure storage solution as well... for similar reasons to the OP. It isn't meant for quick-access while driving, or seated somewhere in the vehicle. It'll be on me then. I'm interested in something reliable to that be secure while I'm temporarily away from the vehicle, and unable to carry for some reason.

This thread definitely got a little bit de-railed, but I think there are enough posts in here to answer the OP's question. And I've enjoyed the responses that provided links and such as well. I'm very choosey with things, especially in this subject matter, so this has been a helpful thread.

HankB

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport, Porsche Panamera 4S
Occupation
Retired
Not quite. Mass has laws that govern transport and storage. The requirements are different.
If you are in the car, you are governed by transport laws.

The transport laws are very different from FOPA.
1) Locked container only for large capacity RIFLES or shotguns.
2) No transport restrictions on an unloaded pistol
3) Loaded pistol must be "under your direct control". This is generally interpreted to mean on your body or within easy reach.
4) No transport restrictions on non-large capacity rifles and shotguns. You could drive your lever gun to the range with it across your lap. As long as it's unloaded.

The storage laws, which apply once you park the car and get out, allow the use of a firearm lock or a secure container. So similar to FOPA, with the addition that a lock meets the requirement. There is case law in MA that a locked glove box or center console DOES satisfy the "locked container"

Citations to relevant MA laws below.

Storage - applies when parked
https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section131L

Transport - applies while in the vehicle
https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section131C
Yes, you are technically correct. A couple of things to consider, the first being Mass gun laws are extremely convoluted, overlapping and in some cases contradictory as your example shows. The second being that in such an environment a prosecutor has a great deal of leeway to interpret the law in how they charge.

The practical reality is that sooner or later the vehicle is going to stop, and the situation reverts to being one of storage the instant you step out. Wouldn’t the safest policy be to treat transporting a firearm as if it were stored?

In any event the discussion in this thread is about storing a firearm in a car when it is stopped and owner absent.

HooliganActual

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I was working on the Gladiator today and though I'd snap a current pic of my actual setup. Note that the lock Box is mounted in the exact same place, I just have the Goose Gear Rear Seat Delete Platform installed over top of it. Not only is it still bolted to the tub, but the Goose Gear access panel can also be locked.
Jeep Gladiator Need recommendations for center console gun safe LockBox01

Jeep Gladiator Need recommendations for center console gun safe LockBox02

Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you a comedian in real life? Because that was hilarious….:facepalm:

I do agree that outside of your gun safe, no handgun should ever be carried or stored without a holster that shrouds the trigger. Particularly in a center console or glovebox that could hold other items that could snag a trigger.
In our home we have a protocol that works very well. Any gun in any safe anywhere in the house that is in a holster can be counted on to be loaded.

This is different from the first rule of firearm safety, treat every gun as if it's loaded.

In this case if it's in a holster IT IS LOADED. This is useful for if you hear something go bump in the night. Or the day.

It also works with minimizing administrative handling. I typically carry either OWB with a paddle holster or IWB with a holster that has clips that can be removed by opening the clip[ and pulling straight up. When I get undressed for bed, the entire holster comes off.

Not super important in the home, but again, there's no reason to handle the gun so why not.

I'm guessing that some young pups will be thinking "If you can't handle gun without it going off then you should be handling a gun". Ahh. . . . to be young, naive and cocky again.

There are 2 kinds of shooters in this world. Those that have had a ND and those that will. Mine was hunting. I tripped and stumbled and the gun went off. I was so sure my finger was outside the trigger guard and the safety was on, that I sent if off to Cole (the best Beretta double gunsmith in the country) to have it checked out. They said there was nothing wrong with the gun. So it was my fault.

Nobody was hurt because I followed the 2nd rule of safe gun handling. The gun was pointed at the ground.

Bottom line if you carry, shoot, compete, hunt enough, you will have a ND.

alextremo

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
A center console safe is not going to be the safest way to store it. The entire console is plastic and the safes are held in place by screwing into plastic.

It's better than nothing. But I'd much rather have an inexpensive box that tethers to the seat mount with a cable.

I have this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Younion-Portable-Travel-Gun-Safe/dp/B07D9DCJLH

I generally don't EVER remove my gun from my body. I live in a state with no prohibitions on carrying into pretty much anywhere other than a school. (No restaurant, bar, house of worship prohibitions - Mass. Amazingly). I"m also self employed.

However, I always keep this in the car just in case. A couple of years ago I lost the keys to one. I decided to see how secure it was. I attached it to a tree and yanked on it repeatedly trying to get the cable to come out and it was not easy.

In fact, inside the confines of a car, I don't think it could be done without tools.

The only thing this safe does not accomplish is being fast to get into in an emergency.

So it excels in the use case where you stash the gun then put it back on as soon as you get in the car.

It does not work well in the use case where you are too much of a qussy to deal with a gun on your belt while driving ad need to stash it for "comfort" (Pro tip - if your gun is too uncomfortable for you to drive with it on your person, then get a smaller gun or a different holster)

This is directed mostly at the oh-so-fashionable guys who will tell you all day long that appendix inside the waistband (AIWB) is the greatest thing ever. It does work well EXCEPT for when you are seated for long times. Common sense would suggest that if AIWB is uncomfortable for you either get a smaller gun or carry in a different place. I carry around 4:00. But when I get into the car, I slide it to 3:00.

And thanks to all the members of this forum who did not refer to a carry gun as s CCW. The stupidest term on the planet. It's more syllables than the word gun. It's more keystrokes. And it's less accurate. (A CCW could be a stick,, a knife, whatever you have on your person). But its trendy and oh so popular with the guys who carry a Sig 365 Macro with a light and a dot sight using an AIWB holster but have never taken any training and would be lucky to score Marksman in an IDPA match.
Without debating the safety of center console boxes, one correction to your post. At least the one I have is not mounted by screwing anything into plastic. The sides are installed first, then the bottom and top are bolted to the sides. When it’s assembled the box is larger than the opening at the top of the center console and can‘t be removed. You could drill through the lock, or saw through the plastic on the center console to gain access. Not impossible, but not easy or quick.

RudeJeepin

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Without debating the safety of center console boxes, one correction to your post. At least the one I have is not mounted by screwing anything into plastic. The sides are installed first, then the bottom and top are bolted to the sides. When it’s assembled the box is larger than the opening at the top of the center console and can‘t be removed. You could drill through the lock, or saw through the plastic on the center console to gain access. Not impossible, but not easy or quick.
That's some good food for thought.
Please tell us which one you have.

Sponsored

Choatecav

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Sales
I sure hope the bad guys give you all plenty of time to open all of these secure boxes. Most of them are not that obliging.

DronePilot

First Name
Edwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator 2020 Sport S
Occupation
Retired U.S Army
Well to cover my behind in case that I could not take my gun to a building this its what I've. If get vandalized and stolen I'll have an alibi. Let the PD do their part.

Gun safe.png

Old Young Man

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
My rule is if I have a loaded gun legally on me or my vehicle
When approached by the officer my vehicle is shut off, window down, hands out the window.
Tell the officer I am carrying and where the firearm is
Only move after the officer tells me what to do next.

trader979

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Financial Services
So what lock box fits best behind the locking seat? Not meant for quick access but for when you need to keep it in the vehicle for a location that does not allow ccw.
Sponsored