First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Photographer
I wanted to introduce myself as being new to the forums. A few weeks ago I purchased a 2023 Jeep Gladiator and taking advantage of some huge discounts. The Gladiator replaces my 2019 Honda Passport, which was a fine vehicle but obviously not as off road capable as the Gladiator.

I am a full time photographer (Landscape & Wildlife), and wanted a vehicle to get me to more places with more confidence than the Passport. I don't intend to do rock crawling, or a significant number of days "off grid". Just need to get places off road, spend a night or two and get back to the road.

I will be spending the summer in Denali as a photo guide, and I just drove it close to 4K miles from Indiana to Denali. I put together a simple youtube video of how it was to drive on the trip:
Jeep Gladiator New 2023 Gladiator: Road Trip to Alaska DSC06781_HDR

In general, I"m happy with the Gladiator for my use case and it ran flawlessly on the trip. Three things I need soon:

1) A dead pedal ( the foot well is not comfortable at all).
2) A canopy camper of some kind. Still trying to decide which one. I know there are a lot of AluCabs in these forums.
3) Mud flaps (This thing flings mud all down the sides. Makes it challenging to stay clean while getting camera gear in and out of back seats or truck bed.

That's all for now, but I expect to post more as my experience with the Gladiator grows.

John
www.johnrobertsonphotography.com
Sponsored

Spuddy

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Mojave
We are making the trip to AK next yr, leaving 6-01. We have done the drive 2x with a trailer or MH. The upcoming trip will be in the Mojave; pulling a small lite trailer. Long drive but very much worth it. We will take 2 months. Have fun!

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
I wanted to introduce myself as being new to the forums. A few weeks ago I purchased a 2023 Jeep Gladiator and taking advantage of some huge discounts. The Gladiator replaces my 2019 Honda Passport, which was a fine vehicle but obviously not as off road capable as the Gladiator.

I am a full time photographer (Landscape & Wildlife), and wanted a vehicle to get me to more places with more confidence than the Passport. I don't intend to do rock crawling, or a significant number of days "off grid". Just need to get places off road, spend a night or two and get back to the road.

I will be spending the summer in Denali as a photo guide, and I just drove it close to 4K miles from Indiana to Denali. I put together a simple youtube video of how it was to drive on the trip:
Jeep Gladiator New 2023 Gladiator: Road Trip to Alaska DSC06781_HDR

In general, I"m happy with the Gladiator for my use case and it ran flawlessly on the trip. Three things I need soon:

1) A dead pedal ( the foot well is not comfortable at all).
2) A canopy camper of some kind. Still trying to decide which one. I know there are a lot of AluCabs in these forums.
3) Mud flaps (This thing flings mud all down the sides. Makes it challenging to stay clean while getting camera gear in and out of back seats or truck bed.

That's all for now, but I expect to post more as my experience with the Gladiator grows.

John
www.johnrobertsonphotography.com
There are a handful or more of different style campers on here.

OP
OP
JWR_Explore

JWR_Explore

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Photographer
We are making the trip to AK next yr, leaving 6-01. We have done the drive 2x with a trailer or MH. The upcoming trip will be in the Mojave; pulling a small lite trailer. Long drive but very much worth it. We will take 2 months. Have fun!
This was my fourth trip to Alaska. Once on a motorcycle, twice in the Honda Passport. It is a beautiful drive.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JWR_Explore

JWR_Explore

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Photographer
There are a handful or more of different style campers on here.
Yes, I have been looking at the different options. No clear cut "best one", they all have trade offs. I'm still considering the options and the tradeoffs for what I need and want.

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Yes, I have been looking at the different options. No clear cut "best one", they all have trade offs. I'm still considering the options and the tradeoffs for what I need and want.
Weight savings was on the top of my list. Plus a straight pop up. The ability to build out the inside myself.

OP
OP
JWR_Explore

JWR_Explore

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Photographer
Weight savings was on the top of my list. Plus a straight pop up. The ability to build out the inside myself.
The OVRLND is on my list. How long have you had yours? Any issues? My priorities are weight, ability to configure the inside as well. Wedge style seems less complex vs straight pop up, why was the straight pop up a requirement for you?

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
The OVRLND is on my list. How long have you had yours? Any issues? My priorities are weight, ability to configure the inside as well. Wedge style seems less complex vs straight pop up, why was the straight pop up a requirement for you?
No issues whatsoever. About a year. Been slowly building it out. Pop-up because you can sleep either way and it allows you to sit up in the bed in any position. Ease of setup is super simple. Less than a couple minutes. There is also hiatus campers. Hard wall straight pop-up. It weighs more.
What really sold me was the ability to have Jay and Maggie totally customize it the way I wanted it built. If you can dream it. Jay and his crew can build it.
I have asymmetrical full barn doors. Not a fan of the tailgate option. I also had the bed shortened up top to fit a Hest queen mattress. Allows for slightly more room when bed is deployed.

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mojave
Dead Pedal:

https://metalcloak.com/jl-wrangler-jt-gladiator-dead-pedal.html

10% off and free shipping ends today... just ordered mine about 15mins ago so i can't speak to how good it is but MetalCloak has a great reputation and can't see one dead pedal to the next being that much of a difference... I took advantage of the 2023 sales too and am getting mine ready for my trip up there next summer, can't wait!!!

Sponsored

nanook12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Pilot
Well I just made the trip! Bought a 23 JTRD in January down in Washington State, found a Smartcap in Everett. Ended up parking it until May 1st (I live in Alaska), took it over to Off Road Essentials in the Spokane Valley, in one day they helped me install the Smartcap load bars, an Ironman Swift RTT and 4.6 awning off the rear. They also installed the Rok Blokz mud flaps. Great bunch of guys there…Here is the JTRD on the beach at Kluane Lake - yesterday May 6th.
Jeep Gladiator New 2023 Gladiator: Road Trip to Alaska DDEE5226-DF7D-4655-91BA-2A903523FCC8

WestwallNF104A

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Antique dealer
I opted for the OVRLND out of Flagstaff. We pick it up in June and I will be posting pictures of the install.

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation

Redruby

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I have a 21 Gladiator Rubicon with the Alucab Canopy Camper last summer drove to Prudhoe Bay 17,000 miles 3 months and the camper was great I have spent a total of 200+ nights in it and it’s the greatest. I love the single full door spare mounted on the back and I custom built the interior for my needs. I will be at the Overland in FLAGSTAFF IN THE DIY sections if anyone wants to check me out
Jeep Gladiator New 2023 Gladiator: Road Trip to Alaska IMG_4980

IMG_5895.jpeg
Sponsored