First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
retired
Drove my new Mojave to Maine on a hunting trip. A grinding noise, like running over rumble strips, began when I left home. At first it was sporadic and for only a few seconds. After 200 miles I could stop it by tapping the brakes. After 300 miles I had to pull off the road as it was constant. I put it in 4-wheel drive high and the sound went away. As soon as I went back to 2 wheel drive the sound came back. During the entire hunting trip I kept the JT in 4 whl. high. For about 100 miles of driving on the way home I was in 4 whl high and I decided to put it back in drive. No issues for the next 600 miles or since. Took it to the dealer and they said there was nothing wrong with it. The sound was exactly like running over rumble strips and got worse the more miles we covered. Any ideas ?
Sponsored

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Is it still making the noise, if not and the dealer said it all checked out not much you can do.

OP
OP

Allagashbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
retired
The vibration was awful and I can't imagine that there is no damage somewhere on the drivetrain however you are probably right. The sad part is the I just don't trust the dealer's service department and the truck is new. Thanks for the response.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
The vibration was awful and I can't imagine that there is no damage somewhere on the drivetrain however you are probably right. The sad part is the I just don't trust the dealer's service department and the truck is new. Thanks for the response.
Find another dealership, or an auto shop and get a diagnosis and take that knowledge back to the dealership.

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
My guess is either something in the FAD (coupling sleeve not fully disengaging, or perhaps a bad bearing or bushing) or the spider gears in the diff. Did they check the front diff oil? If not, I'd pull the fill plug and stick your finger in there to check level as well as see if there id any metal in the oil.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Allagashbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
retired
My guess is either something in the FAD (coupling sleeve not fully disengaging, or perhaps a bad bearing or bushing) or the spider gears in the diff. Did they check the front diff oil? If not, I'd pull the fill plug and stick your finger in there to check level as well as see if there id any metal in the oil.

OP
OP

Allagashbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
retired
I will do that. It was strange as at first I thought we were bumping the rumble strips and as the trips progressed the intervals became longer and the shaking more violent. I remember that if we hit a bump on the road the grinding would stop. That was only during the first two hours of driving. After that it got a lot worse.

Nukeman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
I will do that. It was strange as at first I thought we were bumping the rumble strips and as the trips progressed the intervals became longer and the shaking more violent. I remember that if we hit a bump on the road the grinding would stop. That was only during the first two hours of driving. After that it got a lot worse.
Did you figure this out? I have the exact same issue and dealer diagnosed as a faulty right front axle half shaft but I'm very skeptical. Mine started out as a rotational whining noise at slow speeds but progressed to the rumble strip noise and is worse by the day.

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
Did you figure this out? I have the exact same issue and dealer diagnosed as a faulty right front axle half shaft but I'm very skeptical. Mine started out as a rotational whining noise at slow speeds but progressed to the rumble strip noise and is worse by the day.
That’s where the fad is, so they likely got it right?

OP
OP

Allagashbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
retired
I took to to the dealer in 4 whl dr and it stopped grinding. The dealer could not find a problem and it has not made the noise since. My gas mileage has dropped significantly however. Frustrated,

Sponsored

Josh00333

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Freedom
Build Thread
Link
OP that sure sounds like a FOD issue, may be that it's now engaged and not releasing hence no sound but poor (worse) mileage.

Shaqeroni

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator & 2021 Jeep JL Wrangler
Occupation
Retired LEO
When it happens pull out your phone and record it...make a movie. Post it here if you can. As a sidenote, as an owner of an 8 month old Gladiator I would be furious.

notoriousms33

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator 21 mojave
They are replacing my front diff on Monday. Mine started with a shaking floor board. I brought it in the first time they said it’s normal as well as the click noise as I put it into 4hi. They said they all do that.
A week later buddy drained front diff found metal shards.
Took it to jeep again, told them about metal.
They are replacing it after the weekend.

could anyone tell me if this will actually resolve the shakyness comming from the floor board? Any response is appreciated as I have been scratching my head over how terrible the driving experience has gotten.
Sponsored