Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
hi all, new here just got my Jeep last week. I too was frustrated with the over size key fob so I did this today.

See photos below

71CD26E5-4745-4304-8B62-9A1F9CB6DEA6.jpeg

A2BDD483-D667-44FF-A6CF-37E648876AE5.jpeg

8DE7BDA1-94CB-4883-9C30-57451BA411F5.jpeg

C976CB57-C645-46DA-B5A7-220C99FB5275.jpeg

86AC0A4D-9662-43B2-A44F-D485A6086AD3.jpeg

4C9E3A4B-3D34-441D-9AA2-EEBB00B1B20E.jpeg

862344DD-FFC9-4B6F-8C7C-6FCC8EA469E9.jpeg
Are you having to use the key to crank the jeep?
Sponsored

Veloruche

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport
Are you having to use the key to crank the jeep?
Yes, I use it to push the start button. So nice having a small key in a pocket compared to the factory. As a bonus the key I removed the chip from still works as long as it has a battery. I’m looking at how I could create a small fob out of the internals also.

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
hi all, new here just got my Jeep last week. I too was frustrated with the over size key fob so I did this today.

See photos below

71CD26E5-4745-4304-8B62-9A1F9CB6DEA6.jpeg

A2BDD483-D667-44FF-A6CF-37E648876AE5.jpeg

8DE7BDA1-94CB-4883-9C30-57451BA411F5.jpeg

C976CB57-C645-46DA-B5A7-220C99FB5275.jpeg

86AC0A4D-9662-43B2-A44F-D485A6086AD3.jpeg

4C9E3A4B-3D34-441D-9AA2-EEBB00B1B20E.jpeg

862344DD-FFC9-4B6F-8C7C-6FCC8EA469E9.jpeg
beautiful solution, just add a little hook on the dash right there to hang the keys and gtg, question, where did you get that blue key? mine didn't come with one, just came with two full size fobs

Veloruche

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport
beautiful solution, just add a little hook on the dash right there to hang the keys and gtg, question, where did you get that blue key? mine didn't come with one, just came with two full size fobs
Great idea on the hook.
We have a awesome locksmith here in town and I took my factory key to her and she made the copy.
only $25 too

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
Great idea on the hook.
We have a awesome locksmith here in town and I took my factory key to her and she made the copy.
only $25 too
well i checked with my power locks if i can just hit the button on exit and use the key to re-enter but the alarm goes off instantly...so i need that key with one little button to lock and unlock the doors lol, and while at it to turn on the ignition and stay in the dash where it belongs ;)

Sponsored

Veloruche

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport
Tell me more, where do i get that?
Absolutely, since I had my local locksmith make this duplicate key I’ve learned that you can have the chip duplicated so that you don’t need to remove it from your original key.

I think the best way to do this is call your local locksmith (mine is Keever's in Hickory NC - Keeverskey.com)

Funny thing is she told me that the key required a battery to work and while that’s true for the proximity function of the start button it’s not necessary if you use that side of the key to press the start button. She also didn’t realize that chip was internal in addition to the battery powered proximity.

So here’s what happens if you leave your normal proximity key at home and only use this key with the chip inside. When you go to start the car you will have to press the button with the side of the key and you’ll get a notification that the proximity key has left the vehicle all you have to do is press the OK on the steering wheel. The car will continue to work and you can restart it at any time using the same method. I have a base level sport without power door lock so it doesn’t matter.

I hope this helps if you need any help sourcing the key let me know I’m happy to go to them to get you a blank but you can probably send them your extra key to have a duplicate made they only charged me $25.

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
ya i have power locks, when you lock it even hitting the button not remote then as soon as you enter with key the alarm goes off, that key with a lock unlock button and a remote would be ideal, no issue with the start method you've got

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
I have my key hanging on a lightweight aluminum carabiner clipped to a belt loop. I just don't even notice it there at all. I absolutely love never having to reach for a key, and just getting in/out. The fact that I can leave the vehicle, lock, and leave it running (cooling) in the summer is a great bonus.

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
Where do you clip to when you have the board shorts on headed for some water time?

Sponsored

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Board shorts have generous, huge pockets and the key has no penalty in them. But actually, with swim shorts on I clip them to the bag that has my street clothes, sunscreen, and other outdoor/water supplies. I've been carrying my key this way since the JK days, just now I don't need to pull it off to use the vehicle.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Just happened to see this thread as I was curious if the truck would run without the fob in it after starting. Was looking at some article earlier about there being a possible updated lawsuit against manufactures to make it where the vehicle will not be able to be driven far without the fob or shut off after a short time without the FOB. I know there have been other lawsuits against them and many have not complied with making the changes.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Just happened to see this thread as I was curious if the truck would run without the fob in it after starting. Was looking at some article earlier about there being a possible updated lawsuit against manufactures to make it where the vehicle will not be able to be driven far without the fob or shut off after a short time without the FOB. I know there have been other lawsuits against them and many have not complied with making the changes.
The FOB has to be in the vehicle to start it, but does not have to remain in it to drive it. Having a vehicle that shutoff after the FOB was out of it for a certain amount of time would result in safety issues and lawsuits. The screen flashes a warning if the FOB leaves the vehicle. That is all you'll get for now.

Higher_Ground

First Name
J. T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
Killing the engine might result in safety issues or lawsuits, but having the anti-theft system activate (horns/flashers) might draw enough attention to the fact there's no key to make you either turn around or abandon it. Seems like a colossal hassle for anyone who just forgot the key but maybe still better than that expensive taxi ride. I wonder how long or far you'd have to drive to set it off for it to work well?

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
The FOB has to be in the vehicle to start it, but does not have to remain in it to drive it. Having a vehicle that shutoff after the FOB was out of it for a certain amount of time would result in safety issues and lawsuits. The screen flashes a warning if the FOB leaves the vehicle. That is all you'll get for now.
Seems most the older lawsuits were all based on the fact that people had died because the vehicles did not shut off when the key fob was removed some distance from the vehicles (Carbon Monoxide) Manufacturers were supposed to employ systems that would provide visually and sound off at 85 decibel warning if the FOB was removed from the vehicle Not sure if the JT does this guess I need to test it. I haven't seen it give much warning at all so far as I hop in and out of mine all the time grabbing the mail but I am just like 10 feet away.
Sponsored