Sponsored

No Retractable Tonneau Covers for Gladiators?

OP
OP
WMWHV

WMWHV

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel, 1947 Willys CJ2A
Build Thread
Link
I started a separate thread on the pros and cons of the Truck Covers USA cover. Maybe I should have kept it here, but was worried that people would miss it in this thread. The main concern I have upon study of that unit is that it encroaches on the side of the bed several inches on each side, leaving only a 48 inch opening when the cover is open. Not sure how that impacts the use of the bed and would love input from those who actually have had retractable covers and know what the real life consequences are when you try to load something tall in the truck and try to secure it to the side of the bed. Now I am wondering if I should get the BAK Revolver instead.
Sponsored

Naroko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep gladiator
My problem is I want something that I can use a bed rack in conjunction with. I like the retractable because its very secure. My family goes camping with a RTT and we are wanting to be able to utilize the bed space but still use the retractable cover if need be without taking off the rack etc. Unfortunately no one seems to have a good design for this.

OP
OP
WMWHV

WMWHV

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I don’t have the RTT, but as a paddler, I too would like a track/rack option that will also work with a tonneau. Everything is a compromise...

Naroko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep gladiator
I found this video, Which indicates that truckcoversusa makes a retractable version that accepts their ladder rack.

This is what I am thinking for the rear of the gladiator.

E94AE20B-D8B2-4374-85F7-258EE89989B2.jpeg

D3302EDE-42AD-4E6C-820D-FE28F752C0AB.jpeg

Last edited:

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
I found this video, Which indicates that truckcoversusa makes a retractable version that accepts their ladder rack.

That's exactly what I want! Hopefully they make on for the JT.

Edit: just the Nuthouse logo, but that isn't their rack...?

Sponsored

Tim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I contacted Truck Covers USA about a month ago to inquire about pricing. They quoted me $2,699 for the cover with the tracks. That was just way too steep for me. I also didn't like how far into the bed the sides encroached. Looking at the pictures I am not sure how well a heavy load on a rack or crossbars would be supported. It looks like the tracks don't rest on the bed rails but are inboard and potentially unsupported. I only carry bikes and skis on my rack so that wouldn't have been a deal breaker but I don't know if I would mount a tent on the Truck Covers USA/Yakima system.

I ultimately bought a Diamondback SE cover for $1649 and mounted Front Runner crossbars on top of it for another $419. The major difference between this and a retractable cover is that the Diamondback is not retractable. I can load directly on top of it, though, if need be. I saved at least $600 doing it this way. I have no regrets. The Diamondback is a great cover.

As an alternate to the Truck Covers USA tonneau Leer/Pace Edwards released their Full Metal Jackrabbit retractable tonneau. I don't think it is offered with tracks or rack compatibility, though.

Last edited:

Racer_X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red Rubicon Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Hey tim - how hard is the diamondback to remove? That does seem to be the best solution, but I haul stuff that requires its removal.

OP
OP
WMWHV

WMWHV

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Hey tim - how hard is the diamondback to remove? That does seem to be the best solution, but I haul stuff that requires its removal.
I don’t know, but their website says 10 minutes.

Tim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I haven't take it off yet but I think the 10 minute estimate is reasonable if not actually over stating it a little. Could probably be removed in 5 minutes. Something that may be useful is that you could fold one panel back over the cover or remove a panel if you need to haul a tall item that doesn't require more than 40% of the bed.

Anyway, the 2 panels can be removed without tools so lets say 1 minute for each one. The center section is held to the bed with 4 clamps which have 1 bolt each. So loosen 4 bolts enough to allow the clamps to clear the bed rails or trail rail (depending on the configuration of your truck) and the center section can be removed. So that's another 2 or 3 minutes.

Re-installation shouldn't be too difficult either. The initial installation is a little tedious as you have to position everything where you want so it is centered and looks good. You also have to add weatherstripping to the bulkhead in the bed which takes time. If you mark the bed rail caps with the position of the center section before you remove it re-installation shouldn't take more than 15 minutes.

I was hesitant to drop $1,600 on the Diamondback but now that I have it installed I am very impressed. If you won't need to remove too often I highly recommend it. If you need to have fully open access to the bed on a regular basis then I would consider it cautiously and potentially look for other solutions.

20191112_213250229_iOS.jpg
20191112_213302118_iOS.jpg
20191112_213304870_iOS.jpg

Racer_X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red Rubicon Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for all the detail - it really helps. I like the look of the open bed. It's more using it at specific times than taking it off. Most of the time I'll have 2-3 people in the cab without a need for protected stuff. However, I'll have a need for 4 people in the cab and secure storage in the bed with racks when we go on the road.

Sponsored

DrJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi Overland

From what I've seen, the racks made by TruckcoverUSA install into the stake pockets on other brands of trucks, the Gladiator doesn't have stake pockets.

Markpod7

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
The title to my post is wrong. There IS (or will be) a retractable for the Gladiator, as you guys noted above. I communicated with www.truckcoversusa.com and they provided me the following picture of a cover for the Gladiator that has tracks for a Yakima rack. They said they got around the fuel filler by making their box smaller so that it fits. They should be available soon. The cover in the picture is $2199 and the tracks run another $200. I am a bit bummed, because I spent three days last week within a couple of miles of their facility and did not click to where they were until I got back. Oh well.

JeepGladiator (002).jpg
Looks good but thats probably 5k lol

Racer~X

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Mainly replying bc we are both Racer X fans with gladiators looking for the same accessories...LOL