Sponsored

Noise after gear change

Geekjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
Just curious as I’m going to get gears done in a few. Do you get any new noises going to 4.88 or 5.13s. Some people say yes there will be some whining/buzzing. Others are saying it should be quiet like stock. So in a few weeks once I get it done. Expect a new noise or should be quiet.
Sponsored

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
They will be quiet if they are installed correctly--pinion depth and preload, backlash and preload, and then gently broken in for 500 miles. Some on this forum recommend driving like you stole it, either a new JT or new gear set. That is almost guaranteed to scuff the gears. By the way, use the highest grade lube, and change it after 50 miles and after 500. My favorite is LE 1605 but others are good too.

OP
OP

Geekjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
Why are some people saying whines are normal

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
When you choose your shop by lowest price, or lowest talent (even if high priced), you will whine and so will your gears. I am never in a hurry when setting a diff, but when a clock is ticking, job shops have to hurry. Another factor is poorly made gears.

OP
OP

Geekjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
Well one of the sources that says they make noise is beyond reputable. I know little about gears other than ratio charts. That’s all.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Some gears are just simply inferior to others, and are not helically-cut or run-matched from the factory... Typically the lower-priced brands, or gears made in a foreign country are the ones to avoid. And they will be loud and make a slight roaring noise, especially if they were setup incorrectly. But if installed correctly, you should barely notice the slightly louder noise. Richmonds are loud from my experience... Had some Richmond 4.56's (front & rear) in a Z71 and they were kind of clunky and roared somewhat, even when installed correctly. The 36x13.50 SS Irok Radials drowned it out a good bit, but when I put on street tires to trade it in, you could REALLY tell.

Personally, I'm a big fan of Yukon, Motive, and Dana and AAM factory gears. I have not had any issue with those brands. They setup right, and they run quiet, and are VERY strong.

Motive is my first preference, but Yukon has always been a solid gear, and it is nearly a tie, as to which I prefer. If I can't find Motives, I have no problems picking up a set of Yukons, and never think twice about which gears I'm putting in there.

Motives are nice, but they're harder to find, and more expensive, and less-available as far as the different axle types, years, and gear ratios available. And Yukons are typically more readily available for a wider array of vehicles, and from more vendors, and for more wallet-friendly prices.

I wil most-likely go with Yukon 4.88's in my JTR.

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
If 5.13 or 5.38 has less pinion teeth that are thicker then you can get additional noise.

OP
OP

Geekjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
So a light buzz/whine could be “normal” from yukons

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
Doubt you'd hear it over tire or wind noise. Maybe on decel below 30mph and we're really splitting hairs here.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
No, you shouldn't hear anything different with a set of Yukons (if they're setup right) as you do from your factory JT with stock Dana gears.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Geekjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
As a reminder. I’m no expert. Which is why I’m asking. I called Yukon and asked. First thing guy says. Anything past 4.10 is going to make noise on some level.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
As a reminder. I’m no expert. Which is why I’m asking. I called Yukon and asked. First thing guy says. Anything past 4.10 is going to make noise on some level.
They have to say that for CYA purposes, so soft people don't bitch and send them back if they hear any sort of noise. They can't sell used gears to people, so other than scrapping them, they would lose tons of money. Not saying you won't have any noise, because it's really just a crap-shoot. But none of my Yukon have given me any issues or made any excess noise compared to smooth quiet factory gears...

OP
OP

Geekjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
YOU are 100% correct. I followed up on everything. The guy I was following with the buzz turned out it was a poorly machined part like you said. Yukon is overnighting the part. FWIW gears should not be more noisy than stock

duvinclunk

First Name
Davin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTR
I just had my truck done with 5.13 Spicer gears and am getting a soft whine at higher speeds and quiets down at lower speeds and is silent at stop. The interesting thing is that the noise doesn't get louder the faster you go once you reach 60. I would think if it was a gear issue then it would continue to get louder but it is faint and has me scratching my head. The shop is tearing into the rear diff right now to check over everything but he said it doesn't sound like a diff noise since it would get progressively louder and faster with the increase of speed. Anyone have this before?

wvyankee2

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
My 488's were quiet as stock. Until my pinion bearing went out. :facepalm:
Sponsored