First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator 2014 grand cherokee hemi
Occupation
Facilities maintenance
Another thread about clunky downshifting, I just wanted to start fresh. Like so many other people I sometimes get a clunking noise and abrupt downshift when slowing to a stop. It also occurs when I'm slowly cruising through a parking lot and I let off the gas and it decides to upshift into third when I'm really not moving fast enough. I have the max tow package with 4.10 gears, from other posts I've read this seems to be the common culprit. My theory is the 4.10s result in higher engine rpm but slightly lower wheel speed so sometimes it thinks it's time to upshift or downshift a little to early or to late. Maybe the transmission program is not adjusted for the gear ratio compared to the normal 3.73s. I would really like to know if anyone has brought there truck to the dealer for this and had it corrected, also has anyone seen this go away after putting taller tires on it? Very curious about what taller tires will do to this issue as the tire height changes the wheel speed in comparison to the rpms.
Sponsored

RMV_Gator

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Aerospace
Following this as I also have experienced this from day one. Its my main boggle about this Jeep...and the steering(haven't got TSB done yet).

Dealer flashed software update that reportedly included a modification to shifting when I brought it in for first oil change in March - No change, still does it.
Its like the logic gets confused and doesn't recognize coasting before braking.

The "clunk" it makes feels similar to a driveshaft with worn U-joints when you get on, or off, the gas, but only occurs, like you said, at slow parking lot speeds

OP
OP

Demazz85

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Facilities maintenance
Following this as I also have experienced this from day one. Its my main boggle about this Jeep...and the steering(haven't got TSB done yet).

Dealer flashed software update that reportedly included a modification to shifting when I brought it in for first oil change in March - No change, still does it.

The "clunk" it makes feels similar to a driveshaft with worn U-joints when you get on, or off, the gas, but only occurs, like you said, at slow parking lot speeds
Are you still on stock sized tires?

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Another thread about clunky downshifting, I just wanted to start fresh. Like so many other people I sometimes get a clunking noise and abrupt downshift when slowing to a stop. It also occurs when I'm slowly cruising through a parking lot and I let off the gas and it decides to upshift into third when I'm really not moving fast enough. I have the max tow package with 4.10 gears, from other posts I've read this seems to be the common culprit. My theory is the 4.10s result in higher engine rpm but slightly lower wheel speed so sometimes it thinks it's time to upshift or downshift a little to early or to late. Maybe the transmission program is not adjusted for the gear ratio compared to the normal 3.73s. I would really like to know if anyone has brought there truck to the dealer for this and had it corrected, also has anyone seen this go away after putting taller tires on it? Very curious about what taller tires will do to this issue as the tire height changes the wheel speed in comparison to the rpms.

Hello Demazz85 and RMV_Gator. If either you decide to visit the dealer for diagnosis we would be happy to work with you during the process. We are in private message for assistance!

Kate
Jeep Cares

Green_Gladiator

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mojave, 22 NX350 F-Sport
Occupation
Commercial HVAC

I have had the clunk noise when slowing down to a stop and almost slight increased rev prior to the noise occurring .. Does not happen consistently, maybe 3 times Ive noticed since I purchased last month. Only at 1100k miles .. Will need to address it soon

Sponsored

DailyMoparGuy

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 3.6L
Occupation
Engineer
I have the same issue. Itā€™s pretty annoying in stop n go traffic as well. And just like @RMV_Gator stated, it does remind me of a loose u-joint on the drive shaft....abrupt shift when I come off the gas, and a light clunk when I get back on the gas pedal.

Iā€™d also like to hear from people with taller tires on the 4.10s.

JWGladiator

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave; 2020 BMW X7; 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Have the same issue and am at 1,500 miles now. Mojave with towing package.

Brought it into dealership, they couldn't replicate the behavior and there weren't any codes but they did reset the trans learning. This hasn't helped the clunk at all, but the shifts are somewhat better.

Not sure what my next step is on this. Try another dealer? Force a test ride? It's just unnerving to have that clunk and think you are going to leave parts on the road.

FitfulGoat

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE
Occupation
Operations Leadership
Same issue here but wrote it off as a quirk of the truck. 2020 JTR with stock suspension and tires.

Interested to hear about others issues and possible solution

RMV_Gator

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Aerospace
Same issue here but wrote it off as a quirk of the truck. 2020 JTR with stock suspension and tires.

Interested to hear about others issues and possible solution
Admittedly, i tried to do the same at first. And since I mainly noticed it when my lady was driving> of course I blamed her.
Now that i notice it more frequently when I drive, definitely an issue with the JeepšŸ˜Š
~7500 miles on it now and so not sure if can attribute it to "break-in" any longer

Sponsored

OP
OP

Demazz85

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Facilities maintenance
Driveline slop? Had this issue since day 1 when coming to a stop and the drivetrain is unloading on the downshifts is what it feels like.
Looks like your on much taller tires did that change it at all? Did you ever get it during low speed upshift?

Zilla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
I think that's pretty much normal.

Skull

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave
Occupation
Aircraft Technician
Looks like your on much taller tires did that change it at all? Did you ever get it during low speed upshift?
I have had the lift/tires since bought from dealer and no never on an up shift.

Munkey Boy

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-3, '79 CJ5, '21 JT Sport S manual.
Occupation
Camp Maintenance
Muffler bearings.

Hey Dave. šŸ§»
Sponsored