• Watchers 67

Taznc

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Unfortunately I am busy this weekend but I am available the weekend of the 14th if anyone would be interested in Uwharrie. They close Dec 15th.
Sponsored

Last edited:

DiabolicalDianoga

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland, Subaru Forester
Occupation
Admin
My son and I were up at Stone Mountain State Park and Doughton Recreation Area over the weekend. I drove past Thurmond Chatham Wildlife Management Area and the gate is open for hunting currently. I was planning on going up there sometime again to just drive the roads and check out the area as it was getting dark as we were leaving the area yesterday. Are there any other such areas currently open and is it bad etiquette or even illegal to be driving up these roads if not hunting? I couldn't find anything on the sign leading into the area nor on the website for the area specifically. Being new to the state, I don't know the intricacies of these areas in NC.
To be clear, I'm just wanting to drive the roads, not go off into the fields and woods and do stupid stuff, I don't want to give jeepers a bad name.

Riccochet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKR | 2020 Ram 2500 | 2021 JT Sport
For those who have been to Uwharrie, any recommendations on lift height for a JT Rubicon? Was looking at a 2.5” lift with 35’s, but not sure if I’ll still be looking at a lot of scrapes with that setup. Appreciate any feedback y’all have.
You'll scrape up. Simply due to the wheelbase. Pick your lines carefully. Those whoops on Wolf Den will get ya.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
You'll scrape up. Simply due to the wheelbase. Pick your lines carefully. Those whoops on Wolf Den will get ya.
Your saying with a 2.5 in lift and 35s scraping will still occur? Damn so my stock one doesn't stand a chance does it?

Riccochet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKR | 2020 Ram 2500 | 2021 JT Sport
Your saying with a 2.5 in lift and 35s scraping will still occur? Damn so my stock one doesn't stand a chance does it?
You can make it through 90% of Uwharrie with a stock Gladiator. Just saying that on certain features, even on Wolf Den the green trail, you'll need to choose your line carefully. The whoops will high center you if you don't hit them at an angle. And there are a couple rock ledge step up's that you might want to go around. I high centered my JKR when it was stock, and that's a two door.

Don't go alone, and have a snatch strap if you don't have a winch. Secondly I'd recommend not going during or right after it has rained. The clay soil turns in to a very slick, sticky mess. Easy sections turn in to extremely difficult sections due to being slightly off camber and very slick.

Sponsored

-miko-

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo Wagon, Tundra, Nissan NV, '21 Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Designer
My son and I were up at Stone Mountain State Park and Doughton Recreation Area over the weekend. I drove past Thurmond Chatham Wildlife Management Area and the gate is open for hunting currently. I was planning on going up there sometime again to just drive the roads and check out the area as it was getting dark as we were leaving the area yesterday. Are there any other such areas currently open and is it bad etiquette or even illegal to be driving up these roads if not hunting? I couldn't find anything on the sign leading into the area nor on the website for the area specifically. Being new to the state, I don't know the intricacies of these areas in NC.
To be clear, I'm just wanting to drive the roads, not go off into the fields and woods and do stupid stuff, I don't want to give jeepers a bad name.
I'd love to know more as well. I'm also a transplant and I've seen areas like Pond Mountain Game Lands but it's hard to tell from online info if areas can be accessed and if camping is acceptable. Any on the ground intel would be great.

JoshP

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Occupation
Engineer
Can anyone recommend a shop in Western NC to mount 38s on a set of Method wheels? Christmas came early and none of my local tire shops will touch anything over a 37.

Rubinator919

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
@-miko- — nice truck you have there. Are your wheels painted Rubicon wheels? If so, how did you do it? I like the look over stock

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
You can make it through 90% of Uwharrie with a stock Gladiator. Just saying that on certain features, even on Wolf Den the green trail, you'll need to choose your line carefully. The whoops will high center you if you don't hit them at an angle. And there are a couple rock ledge step up's that you might want to go around. I high centered my JKR when it was stock, and that's a two door.

Don't go alone, and have a snatch strap if you don't have a winch. Secondly I'd recommend not going during or right after it has rained. The clay soil turns in to a very slick, sticky mess. Easy sections turn in to extremely difficult sections due to being slightly off camber and very slick.
That makes me feel a lot better, especially since some of the things I can just go around. I have a 12k winch I am kind of hoping to use for something besides yard work, lol.

I have learned first hand what this clay can do when wet, honestly that will be the hardest part of planning the trip.

-miko-

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo Wagon, Tundra, Nissan NV, '21 Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Designer
@-miko- — nice truck you have there. Are your wheels painted Rubicon wheels? If so, how did you do it? I like the look over stock
Nothing fancy, just the Base steel wheel that's already black. That was actually one of the selling points for going with the Base Sport vs. the Sport S - saving money and not having those silver wheels.

Sponsored

Deadpool392

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator JTR, 2010 Rescue Green JKU
I am new here on the forums, out of New Bern, NC. Been up to Uwharrie several times in my 2010 JKU, just got a JTR this past weekend. I will be keeping an eye on this thread for trips people are making and try to tag along if possible.

DiabolicalDianoga

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Admin
I am new here on the forums, out of New Bern, NC. Been up to Uwharrie several times in my 2010 JKU, just got a JTR this past weekend. I will be keeping an eye on this thread for trips people are making and try to tag along if possible.
Welcome.
My parents have a place out in Bayboro near you. Anything fun to do out that way, I haven't really done much research out that way? I'm more into just exploring than mudding or rock crawling.

Deadpool392

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not much that I have found, there is a little bit of trail in the Croatan, but it seems to be iffy at best with legality. I tend to stay away from there, but that also is because it doesn't offer much other than mud at times and dirt.

DiabolicalDianoga

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Admin
Not much that I have found, there is a little bit of trail in the Croatan, but it seems to be iffy at best with legality. I tend to stay away from there, but that also is because it doesn't offer much other than mud at times and dirt.
I've seen the roads on the map through there, been wondering if they are actually accessible or not. Why are they iffy concerning legality?

Deadpool392

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There are gates in spots and when they are closed you cannot go around them or access the area. People go in and "open" them, so when you go through with it open and get caught by forestry it causes problems. There also were some issues a few years back with big spikes being placed in the mudholes, so when you went through it blew your tires out. There is a local Jeep group, Crystal Coast Jeep Club, they have a facebook group and are easy going. If your out this way it is worth hitting them up, some of the members still go out and cruise through the Croatan.
Sponsored