Sponsored

Notchy steering after TSB for steering gear?

Do you have notchy steering after the Steering TSB fix?

• Total voters

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Sport S (Max Tow)
I have a almost new 2020 gladiator and I noticed from test drive that the truck seemed to wander and I had to correct the steering often to stay in lane. I chalked it up to being JEEP and me coming from something else. I also told myself that if I bought it, there is the fix TSB. So it was the color I wanted and whatnot, I jumped on it.

I was planning to go check locally with the dealer for the TSB, but now I am seeing posts about people having notchy steering after having the fix TSB performed.
Do you have it after the TSB?
Sponsored

TrainMan

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Chevy Silverado, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S.
I noticed it after driving off the lot. It was as if slight pressure of my wrist resting on the wheel made it click to one side. Like it needed to rest into a notch and my pressure was just enough to cause it to click into place. It went away after about 500 miles. Once in a while the feeling comes back when moving slow, like in a fast food drive thru. But it's not like it was. Steering is great overall. Fluid level is slightly below min but not enough that it should affect anything.

Moonshineheadache

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Great White Edition Rubicon
Occupation
Gas Pump Jockey - I hate cans!
Vehicle Showcase
Very similar story for me. I immediately noticed super squishy steering on test drive, but I was already 98% sold that I was going to purchase. Almost immediately, I swapped out the stabilizer for the FOX TS version (incidentally it matched the Fox shock series of the Mopar lift that was already installed) and that made a slight improvement to perceived steering feel but did not remove the play. When the TSB came around, the owner of the dealership made sure I got the fix in less than 2 weeks and that was back in September. It helps that he is a good friend. Still not completely happy, I next addressed the slight bump steer issue by swapping the track bar to the Steer Smarts Pro Track bar.

BUT, to answer the original question...yes...with my hand resting on the wheel at a stop or similar condition, I'll feel the wheel break a slight friction threshold of sorts and give ever so slightly and then stop. I've never noticed a ratcheting or otherwise while turning or driving.

DaveL

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I noticed it after driving off the lot. It was as if slight pressure of my wrist resting on the wheel made it click to one side. Like it needed to rest into a notch and my pressure was just enough to cause it to click into place. It went away after about 500 miles. Once in a while the feeling comes back when moving slow, like in a fast food drive thru. But it's not like it was. Steering is great overall. Fluid level is slightly below min but not enough that it should affect anything.
Perhaps you had air in your system, and it's vented now.

DaveL

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I have a almost new 2020 gladiator and I noticed from test drive that the truck seemed to wander and I had to correct the steering often to stay in lane. I chalked it up to being JEEP and me coming from something else. I also told myself that if I bought it, there is the fix TSB. So it was the color I wanted and whatnot, I jumped on it.

I was planning to go check locally with the dealer for the TSB, but now I am seeing posts about people having notchy steering after having the fix TSB performed.
Do you have it after the TSB?
Had the steering gear changed on the Wrangler. Its' really worth doing. The wandering is gone. However, have a small dead spot on centre.

It really is worth doing.

Sponsored

JTFan_Tampa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep gladiator sport
I had my gear box upgraded per TSB but when I got it back I wasn’t sure it did anything and maybe even felt worse. The steering felt really loose and a bit of a dead spot to include having the steering wheel turned slight right to keep a straight line. I took the gladiator in today for an alignment check/fix (along with first service), and actually got a copy of the report. My alignment was apparently way off but corrected. While driving home the Jeep felt much better and tracked much better than before. Prior to the alignment, I drove on the slow lane focusing on not swerving onto another lane. Now it just feels safer driving it and feel much comfortable driving in the fast lane. Anyhow, if you get the TSB fix, be sure you get an alignment and get the report.

DaveL

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I had my gear box upgraded per TSB but when I got it back I wasn’t sure it did anything and maybe even felt worse. The steering felt really loose and a bit of a dead spot to include having the steering wheel turned slight right to keep a straight line. I took the gladiator in today for an alignment check/fix (along with first service), and actually got a copy of the report. My alignment was apparently way off but corrected. While driving home the Jeep felt much better and tracked much better than before. Prior to the alignment, I drove on the slow lane focusing on not swerving onto another lane. Now it just feels safer driving it and feel much comfortable driving in the fast lane. Anyhow, if you get the TSB fix, be sure you get an alignment and get the report.
I wonder if they actually reflashed the steering "brain" at the dealer. It would be really easy to check off the box saying it's done and move onto another vehicle.
Sponsored