Odd Engine Noise

DesertRunner

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Giulia
It’s spark knock related to TSB 09-012-22. Too much oil is getting by the PCV and causing carbon buildup. I took mine in to 2 different dealers and they could not duplicate or would not do it under warranty. It’s a known issue that Jeep refuses to fix.
Sponsored

ZSum73

First Name
Zeke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Registered Nurse
It’s spark knock related to TSB 09-012-22. Too much oil is getting by the PCV and causing carbon buildup. I took mine in to 2 different dealers and they could not duplicate or would not do it under warranty. It’s a known issue that Jeep refuses to fix.
Definitely not the engine spark knock issue. Symptoms dont jive with the tsb report. The sound only comes between 1500-2000 rpm and only when in gear. I dont lose power and its not a ping or knocking sound. Sounds more like a transmission, transfer case or even possible torque converter issue. Just dont want everything taken apart un-needed. Just hope someone gets it fixed and posts.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
The sound only comes between 1500-2000 rpm and only when in gear. I dont lose power and its not a ping or knocking sound. Sounds more like a transmission, transfer case or even possible torque converter issue. Just dont want everything taken apart un-needed. Just hope someone gets it fixed and posts.
Actually, low RPM, high torque (in gear) is when detonation happens. It doesn't typically happen at higher RPM, and of course won't happen if not under load at all.
You also may not notice a loss of power with detonation.

However, too many things get blamed on ping of detonation.

As far as "hope someone gets it fixed and posts" - reminder - just because one person has a similar sound repaired by a PCV doesn't mean the next guy's odd sound is that - could be a shield rattle - and if someone fixes theirs by fixing a shield rattle, doesn't mean that's the same fix for yours.
Every one should be diagnosed individually. There's no one single cause of "rattles".

One thing anyone can do - go buy a new PCV, replace it, run an upper cylinder cleaner through and drive it per their instructions (typically under heavy load to burn out any carbon)
If an engine is pulling oil through the PCV, then the oil level in the crankcase will drop faster than typical. You can see it on spark plugs, and a bore scope could show it.

Over the years, most "rattles" here have ended up actually not being the engine.

Banned

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator
Occupation
Mariner
I finally captured this noise I've been recently experiencing.

I disconnected my Start/Stop eliminator because I had read messing with ESS can cause engine lagging/knocking so wanted to rule that out.

This happens when shifting from 2nd to 3rd (automatic) just above 2000RPM, once the shift happens giving some extra gas causes the noise to occur. It is easily reproduced but difficult to capture on camera.

Any ideas??

Thanks in advance!

You do have to turn your volume up
Is it just a noise, or can you feel it cutting out at all?
Sponsored