Sponsored

Oil Pressure Range

TheGreatCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave Previous: 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, 2013 Ford Escape
What’s a good range for oil pressure. I’m usually 30-35 psi. But lately I’ve seen it spike up to ~75 for short periods of time. Is this problematic? Should I be getting this looked at?

I just got back from a round trip to Florida from the New York City area. I’m at about 7200 miles so I’m due for an oil change.
Sponsored

MrZappo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant
There are 2 stages. When you downshift or otherwise pull more power it ramps up and pressure goes way up.

Totally normal.

OP
OP

TheGreatCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave Previous: 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, 2013 Ford Escape
There are 2 stages. When you downshift or otherwise pull more power it ramps up and pressure goes way up.

Totally normal.
Thanks. It does tend to happen around shifts. I only started watching the gauge after I saw what looked like a quick burst of oil smoke when I remote started the other day. It didn’t look super abnormal, but I wanted to be sure.

Tig

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Manager
Boy am I relieved to read this, after an oil change I usually start up with the oil gauge displayed just to make sure all is good. Last time I left the gauge on and was driving locally and saw the pressure spike to 70psi briefly during the 2-3 shift then drop back to normal, then realized it was happening regularly. Thought I had a collapsed filter or something. I guess I just never noticed it before.

USMC32GTR

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Skyline GTR, 2021 JT Rubicon 6MT
Occupation
Analyst
General rule (not engine specific) is 10psi per 1000 RPM. Cold starts will have high pressure. Idle once warm will have lower pressure and when fully warm and revving you should see something like the general rule where pressure builds as the revs increase.
Sponsored