First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2017 Lotus Evora 410, 2011 BMW 1M, 2001 F250
Occupation
Retired
Based on your requirements in the initial post, I would suggest you consider the Sport S with the max tow package. I originally test drove a Sport and it reminded me too much of the TJ that I was replacing (i.e., roll up windows, no auto door locks, etc.). Of course, I made the mistake of looking at a Rubicon model and then could not go back.

I haven’t looked at the used Gladiator market, but I would imagine most of the Sport and Sport S models already have mods that may or may not be things you would want on your truck.
Sponsored

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
I have owned two JKU Rubicons. Never used the lockers, and didn't like the steep 4 to 1 low range. Those lockers mean you lose steering and side stability on snow, etc. because both wheels must turn at the same rate when the diff is locked. OK if one wheel is in the air, or wheel slippage is severe. Otherwise, not desirable. If you have one front and/or rear wheel slipping on snow in a side-slope situation, if unlocked, the other is not slipping and is getting some traction so you don't slide off the cliff.

Last edited:

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
You can add parts to a Sport to make it a Rubicon. You can add parts to a Rubicon to make it haul and tow like a Sport. But one thing you can not do is alter the legal payload and towing capacity. And that's why the Max Tow package with it's 9% greater towing and 30-35% greater payload is the only Gladiator to buy if you ever think you'll overland or tow with it.

jpaperguy

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shopping for Gladiator
Occupation
IT
I love my Sport max tow.

I probably wouldn't bother shopping used. There are enough dealers out there that will discount new ones enough that you pay the same for a new one. Start by looking in the forums for dealers in your area discounting them.

With 1 email and no haggling I got a dealer that advertises in this forum to offer 8% under invoice plus any manufacturer incentives in place at the time of delivery on a custom order. They were offering larger discounts if you bought one off the lot but I wanted a very specific set of options. It was about the easiest vehicle purchase I have ever made. I did have to drive 2 hours to pick it up because none of the dealers closer to my house wanted to match the price.
What dealer?

LordEnzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Good morning everyone,
New guy here, looking into trading in my '14 GC for a '20 Glad. I'd like to give y'all my current situation/needs and am looking for honest opinions.

Now: Weekend adventure vehicle with the wifey and puppy, occasional hardware trips for wood

Soon: Amateur overlanding rig, want to really get into it as we love to camp and go outdoors

Later: Boat or jetski towing machine

Here's what I'm set on (I think):

New or Used
Trim: Sport or Sport S
Required Options: Max Tow (now available on both Sport models), Remote Start (it gets hot in AZ), Aux

I'm pretty confident I can install exterior mods later on down the road (rails, skids, fenders, lift, etc), running wires is where I'm not the most patient with. I'm seeing a good number of used base models for the mid/low $30k and it's tempting.

PS do Gladiator owners also have a 'Jeep wave'?
Thanks!
I was in the exact same boat as you are, and went sport s max tow. Mainly due to cost, but after comparing spec sheets between max tow and rubi, the cost difference to put back in upgrades toward the max tow truly outweighs getting a rubi. The rubi setup is more rock crawling geared (which practically serves little to no real use in fl). Slap on some good mt's and the max tow with trac lok does an excellent job. Currently running 3.5 rc lift and 37x12.5r17 pats with oe rims (which fit w/o lift no problem, just trim plastic winglets). Im loving the results having driven thru multiple mudholes up to 3 ft deep without issues, although almost got stuck in one but motor and tires powered me out in 4hi.
Jeep Gladiator OPINION: Sport/S w/ Max Tow VideoCapture_20200703-225817
Jeep Gladiator OPINION: Sport/S w/ Max Tow 20200722_214207
Jeep Gladiator OPINION: Sport/S w/ Max Tow VideoCapture_20200727-145320
Jeep Gladiator OPINION: Sport/S w/ Max Tow VideoCapture_20200727-145419