Lynn_F

First Name
Lynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. Looks better without it anyway. I think the Rubi sits an inch or two higher also, are you saying no lift required for 35's with just the Rubi fenders?
Look up " JT's JT" in the garage section of this forum. Hes running 35's on a stock sport s with stock rims without the highline fenders. The fenders will give u another 1-3" of clearance depending on if u chop them or not. You may also need some spacers if u keep the stock wheels. It can all be done for much cheaper than a base rubicon.
Sponsored

Reasons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KL Cherokee Trailhawk, JT Gladiator RUBICON
Occupation
Enabler
Thanks. Looks better without it anyway. I think the Rubi sits an inch or two higher also, are you saying no lift required for 35's with just the Rubi fenders?
Rubi only sits higher (11" ground clearance vs 10" ground clearance of a Sport S) due to the 33" tires it comes equipped with stock.

OP
OP

Mastiff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 JK Rubicon
A thought hit me. Is there any difference in the max tow axles besides the ratio? If not, and if adding lockers anyway, I could skip the max tow and just plan on aftermarket lockers with a gear swap. The money is mostly in the labor.

Also, anyone know if the Rubi extra lift is purely a function of springs, or are there other differences?

Reasons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KL Cherokee Trailhawk, JT Gladiator RUBICON
Occupation
Enabler
A thought hit me. Is there any difference in the max tow axles besides the ratio? If not, and if adding lockers anyway, I could skip the max tow and just plan on aftermarket lockers with a gear swap. The money is mostly in the labor.

Also, anyone know if the Rubi extra lift is purely a function of springs, or are there other differences?
Reference my post just before yours regarding ground clearance.

There is a thread on here where a member with a Rubcion measured the height of his stock Rubicon from the ground to the top of their hardtop. Another member chimed in that had a stock Sport S Max Tow and did the same measurements and their Sport S Max Tow was an inch taller than the Rubicon.

The higher clearance of the Rubicon fenders is what makes stuffing 35s on it easy.

However, I have also read conflicting posts from other forum member with Sports that installed Rubicon take off springs and they claimed they gained 1" of lift. So... pretty confusing.

OP
OP

Mastiff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 JK Rubicon
Reference my post just before yours regarding ground clearance.

There is a thread on here where a member with a Rubcion measured the height of his stock Rubicon from the ground to the top of their hardtop. Another member chimed in that had a stock Sport S Max Tow and did the same measurements and their Sport S Max Tow was an inch taller than the Rubicon.

The higher clearance of the Rubicon fenders is what makes stuffing 35s on it easy.

However, I have also read conflicting posts from other forum member with Sports that installed Rubicon take off springs and they claimed they gained 1" of lift. So... pretty confusing.
Yes it is. I just read through 9 pages of that thread. I think the consensus is that you get some lift from the rubi springs. It would make sense they are softer than the tow package though, so if you want to tow or load up, rubi may not be the best option.

I'd still like to know about the axles though. Is only the ratio different between Sport and Rubi/MaxTow?

Sponsored

TrailHiker

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S, Black 1946 CJ 2A
The Max Tow/Rubi axles are around 1.5 inches longer, and of course the 4.5 gear ratio.
You can also add the Rubi front steel skid plate and wither a Rubi steel bumper or the new Spirt front Steeel bumper for around $1200.
Cheers

Last edited:

NaughtyGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator JTR

The max tow axles are wider and I believe the tubes are thicker.

Uparms

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT, 2020 JT, 72 CJ5,2005 LJ, 2002 TJ, 92 YJ
Vehicle Showcase
I'm a keep it simple kind of guy and really not interested in most of the gadgetry they are trying to push. I live in Arizona and have heated mirrors, among other nonsense, in my JK because I wanted the Rubicon hardware. I sat in a Sport Gladiator with crank windows and mostly stripped and felt right at home. I understand if I get the Max Tow package, I'll have the same axles as Rubicon, just without lockers. I can add lockers later. The 4:1 T-case turns out to be too low for anything I normally do, and the sway bar can also be done by the aftermarket, no big deal. So what do I really lose if I go this route?

By the way, is there consensus on whether lift is needed on these to fit 35's, and use them off road? Also, I read a 35" spare can go under the bed. Is this the case?

Thanks.
I bought the Sport with Max tow. Damn awesome Jeep with 4.10s. Just bought the 2" Mopar lift anad in 2-3 months will afford the wheels and tires. 35x12.5 become a 3.64 gear when you add them to the 4.10s. This can ride a long time before I have to regear. i won't regear till an E-Locker is available. Slow and sure, modest build, no hurry. If you plan to keep 5 or more years, I like the Sport with Max Tow and build it your way / anyway. Pull the parts when you want to sell or sell them with. Amazing 8 speed, 4.10s, Wide Tracks, dual Dana 44s. They would have called this a Rubicon back in the YJ, Early TJ or CJ days. Great bargain. Great Jeep, Great price.

Uparms

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT, 2020 JT, 72 CJ5,2005 LJ, 2002 TJ, 92 YJ
Vehicle Showcase