Sponsored

Ordering this week (manual Willys in Sarge Green), please give me your thoughts.

Blue Ridge

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys in sarge green
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Pet shop owner
Hoping I'm not making any mistakes here, and that y'all can help me spend my money wisely. I've done my homework, and am trying to not exceed my max budget of 45K (up 12K from my original Wrangler budget) not including dealer's fee, tax and tags. I hope to drive this truck for many years, I've been in this old Chevy I drive now since 2000. I joined Tread Lightly last week and so should be able to get 6% off of invoice with Travis at Tri Cities.

https://www.jeep.com/bmo.gladiator....E,ADA,AJ1,RC4,STB,NHK,JFF,CLP,CT6,ABR,XMF,23W

^^That's a link to my build.

My biggest concerns are that I haven't been able to drive a Gladiator or Wrangler JL in manual; there just aren't any to be found on local lots. But I prefer driving a stick and certainly don't want to take 2K in upgrades off my build as a trade out. I did drive a couple of newer JK Wranglers with manual and was fine with them.

Also, I have no experience with any of the tonneau covers. I was leaning just getting a toolbox and leaving the bed open, but a tonneau cover seems a better option, and I look forward to carrying less tool weight now that I no longer work construction. I picked the soft one simply based on some reviews. This one is very appealing, but I can't find much on it outside of their website.

I know not to expect much from the cold air intake, but I'd like to be able to hear the engine when changing gears. An aftermarket muffler might be a better route, but the videos I've seen of people driving manual Gladiators mentioned that it was difficult to hear the gearing over road noise. Will delete that one if people with them aren't happy.

Would really prefer the dual top group in a perfect world, but going with soft because I live in an area where it rains frequently in summer months, and I don't think I'd take the full hard top off often if that's all I had.

Upgraded to the 8.4 +sound package because I wanted a decent stereo and the cost difference wasn't that much from the 7". I've never had a vehicle with a screen, so this is all new to me. Thanks in advance, and hopefully I can join the build and tracking thread here soon! I haven't been this excited in ages!
Sponsored

FloridaMan655321

First Name
Lieutenant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 1973 F-100 - both manual
Occupation
Lieutenant (not really)
The build link for me shows the 7" screen, which is what I would go with (and what I did). LED is a good option for sure. Do you really need the engine block heater for NC? I've been in Asheville a few times now in the winter and it does get cold, but block heater?
Also, I have a manual, but luckily there was a dealership in 50 miles away that had a bunch of manuals to test drive. People do bitch about it a lot, but overall I'm really glad I went with the manual. The last vehicle I bought was the very first one that was automatic and I kind of hated it for that reason. You will find reverse is stupid annoying, especially in the mountains, but one person on here brought up that he/she uses 4L with reverse on hills. It's really the only way IMO as normal reverse wants you to go like 20mph.

Love the color btw.

OP
OP
Blue Ridge

Blue Ridge

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys in sarge green
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Pet shop owner
Thanks for your thoughts. Good to know about reverse! I had selected the big screen but the site has a habit of dropping options when I leave the page. As for temps here, it rarely dips below the teens at night here, but for only $95, figured it might help the engine over time.
Sponsored