TCP914

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Hi all,

I'm new to the Jeep world and really want a Gladiator, but I have a bit of a timing issue so I'm trying to source some creative solutions. I'm moving from NYC to Orange County, CA at the end of Jan. so I'll need a car immediately. There in lies my problem since Gladiators won't be out until Spring '19. Does anyone have ideas on a short-term bridge solution? I was wondering if dealers would be open to doing some sort of short-term lease on a JLUR until a Gladiator can come in. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated. If it comes to it, I guess I'll just pull a JLUR from the lot and wait till that lease is up in 3 years, but would love to avoid that.

Thanks,

Tom
Sponsored

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
You can do a 1) long term car rental agreement where you negotiate monthly rate for the amount of months you need. 2) Lease an Equinox for 24 months $219 month with $2800 down. So that is around $340 month. Negotiate your taxes as part of the deal and perhaps go up a trim level. Do not add money down into leases. Sometimes they do the same deal on the Colorado. Or 3) The most risky, assume someone's lease, check swapalease.com Just make sure the vehicle is not damaged by having a mechanic or body shop view the car. If you find a jeep lease to take over there may be loyalty money available towards the JT as well.

Last edited:

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
I was in a similar situation 2 years ago. Due to an unfortunate incident I totaled my DD (first major accident). At the time the JT was suppose to be out in a year, so not wanting a lease or depreciation on a new or even lightly used car I decided to take the adventurous route. I bought a beater XJ off craiglist for less than $2500. Literally the week after I bought it Jeep announced a delay on the JT and I have been driving this XJ for just over 2 years. Since that time I have replaced a water pump ($30), Thermostat ($14), starter ($60), and clutch and fly wheel ($900 that one sucked). Oh and I put a quarter cup of oil in every other week and I try and park in the same spot everyday so my drips don't make stains all over my office parking lot. That said I fully expect to get at $2000 plus for this thing when I sell it.

Overall I have been happy with my choice and I kept the insurance money from my old DD for the JT. My wife hate the XJ and I think some of my coworkers are perplex at my decision. I guess I look a bit funny in my suit and tie getting into a 1996 beater of a vehicle but I don't care the JT will be here soon. In the mean time I love my XJ and have learned a few new garage repairs as they became necessary. Although not lifted or modified I have even taken it on some pretty gnarly trails as I don't care (that much) about damage that may occur. She is a beast!

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Pick up a used TJ for a good price now while it's cold, then sell it in the spring when people start wanting Jeeps and the JT comes out. You might even make money.

firemedic2714

First Name
Scotty P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Rubicon, 19 Genesis G70, 1972 Ford LTD coupe
Occupation
Firefighter / Paramedic
Vehicle Showcase
Buy an old Corolla or Civic. Both are pretty indestructible and you probably won't lose any money when you resell it. Not to mention the money you'll save having liability insurance only. To quote Eazy-E, if you wrap it around a telephone pole, throw it in the gutter and go buy another.

Sponsored

DMoney

First Name
Dillon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mitsubishi Montero Sport w/ 1.5 inch lift.
Occupation
Freight-liner Diesel Technician
Hi all,

I'm new to the Jeep world and really want a Gladiator, but I have a bit of a timing issue so I'm trying to source some creative solutions. I'm moving from NYC to Orange County, CA at the end of Jan. so I'll need a car immediately. There in lies my problem since Gladiators won't be out until Spring '19. Does anyone have ideas on a short-term bridge solution? I was wondering if dealers would be open to doing some sort of short-term lease on a JLUR until a Gladiator can come in. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated. If it comes to it, I guess I'll just pull a JLUR from the lot and wait till that lease is up in 3 years, but would love to avoid that.

Thanks,

Tom
Buy a 2000 dollar car. It will be a beater but it will last you until the JT comes out. Then when the JT comes out you can sell it on Craigslist for at least 1500.

OP
OP

TCP914

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Thanks for everyone's replies. I researched going to crappy used car route, but was actually able to work out a good deal with a buddy. Currently he's leasing a MB C300 and has 11mo left on it but needs to get a different car because child number two is coming in. So I'm going to take over his lease for the last few months and then I'll be able to roll into a Gladiator at the end of the year. It's longer than I wanted so I'm bummed about that but it does save me some money right now and will allow any new production hitches to be worked out.

So for the next 10months or so I'm just going to be obsessively reading this forum and daydreaming...could be worse I guess. Cheers!

DMoney

First Name
Dillon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mitsubishi Montero Sport w/ 1.5 inch lift.
Occupation
Freight-liner Diesel Technician
Thanks for everyone's replies. I researched going to crappy used car route, but was actually able to work out a good deal with a buddy. Currently he's leasing a MB C300 and has 11mo left on it but needs to get a different car because child number two is coming in. So I'm going to take over his lease for the last few months and then I'll be able to roll into a Gladiator at the end of the year. It's longer than I wanted so I'm bummed about that but it does save me some money right now and will allow any new production hitches to be worked out.

So for the next 10months or so I'm just going to be obsessively reading this forum and daydreaming...could be worse I guess. Cheers!
That works.
Lots of us are here obsessively reading this forum. It is what keeps me sane from buying something else. I have already almost bought a 4runner, JL and couple different Rams. Watching this forum keeps me focused on waiting and getting a JT.

Roddy13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Rent a car. Or buy a beater like everyone else mentioned.

Or just buy something else. You could be waiting 5+ months at this point and will be at the mercy of dealers who will be more than happy to charge any door crashers full asking price... But who fuckin cares right? Cuz 90% of these things will be bank owned, and people will just mod the shit out their bank owned Gladiatiors because monthly payments.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2006 Jeep Liberty
I had the same situation when I was waiting on my JLU.

I had actually already ordered but they weren't even building my color yet.

I bought a 2006 Liberty with cash and then gave it to my daughter when my Wrangler came in. I probably could have sold it for what I bought it for or even a little more.
Sponsored