First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F-150, 1990 Bronco
Occupation
USAF
So looking to order my first Jeep, I’ve narrowed it down to loaded Overland or loaded Rubicon. Both with the diesel. There is a 4K price difference with the Rubi being more expensive, is it worth it? I also understand the biggest factor in this is how I’m going to use the truck. 80% highway 20% off-road. Would like to get into over landing, I’m a hunter and ride snowmobiles. I’d like to run 37’s down the rode, but could settle for 35’s. I don’t tow anything heavy anymore. I’ve lurked through this forum quite a bit, but I’m a newb. Any thoughts?
Sponsored

Chance575

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C
Occupation
D
Bought a overland diesel and pretty much made it a rubicon. Just added lockers for $1400 each. rubicon also gets the wide axles with heavier tubes. I’d say the rubi is worth it, i had to take what I could get

Nebulocity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Mojave - Sting Gray

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
So looking to order my first Jeep, I’ve narrowed it down to loaded Overland or loaded Rubicon. Both with the diesel. There is a 4K price difference with the Rubi being more expensive, is it worth it? I also understand the biggest factor in this is how I’m going to use the truck. 80% highway 20% off-road. Would like to get into over landing, I’m a hunter and ride snowmobiles. I’d like to run 37’s down the rode, but could settle for 35’s. I don’t tow anything heavy anymore. I’ve lurked through this forum quite a bit, but I’m a newb. Any thoughts?
Definitely rubicon. As @Chance575 said, it’s almost 3k just to add lockers. If you consider the 4:1 low range transfer case and automatic sway bar disconnect, not to mention off road plus mode (which is amazing) you’re way past 4k. If it’s in your budget; I firmly believe you are not be disappointed, coming from a rubicon owner. Btw, that 20% off road ratio is probably close for me as well, but it’s still worth it every single day.

OP
OP
susee80

susee80

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F-150, 1990 Bronco
Occupation
USAF
Bought a overland diesel and pretty much made it a rubicon. Just added lockers for $1400 each. rubicon also gets the wide axles with heavier tubes. I’d say the rubi is worth it, i had to take what I could get
This is exactly what gets me thinking about just buying the Rubicon. Probably cost more in the long term to upgrade the Overland.

Sponsored

OP
OP
susee80

susee80

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F-150, 1990 Bronco
Occupation
USAF
Definitely rubicon. As @Chance575 said, it’s almost 3k just to add lockers. If you consider the 4:1 low range transfer case and automatic sway bar disconnect, not to mention off road plus mode (which is amazing) you’re way past 4k. If it’s in your budget; I firmly believe you are not be disappointed, coming from a rubicon owner. Btw, that 20% off road ratio is probably close for me as well, but it’s still worth it every single day.
Good stuff here, thanks. I’ve read so much and went back and forth so many times.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Good stuff here, thanks. I’ve read so much and went back and forth so many times.
Any time. Easy to do. Everyone has different goals for their Jeep. If I had to try to put it into words, I’d say the rubicon gave me goals I didn’t know existed. It’s that good. We bought it for towing capacity (7k), but would have otherwise bought a Willys. Now we’ve found out how much this thing can do out of the gate, and would never choose another trim.

Sarge502

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Vehicle Showcase
Ok some I did some soul searching on the same topic for awhile prior to getting my Overland.

So for me the Overland just worked and I wouldn’t have changed it. I’m super happy with my Overland. There literally isn’t a feature it doesn’t have (as far as packages, groups, add ons etc). Although I wasn’t opting for the Diesel version from either I’m not sure how there’s only a 4k difference for you. Maybe location and other factors, etc. But no matter how much I factored it in I was looking at another 8k roughly difference in price at the time last year I bought mine.

So here’s my thing…For me, I couldn’t justify an extra 8k for a(non-loaded) Rubicon for my needs. Do I Offroad? Absolutely, but I live in the city so it’s a good distance drive in any direction to do that. But I can. And my Overland as most other Jeeps even stock is pretty damn capable Offroad for my liking and amount. Yes I’ve done a little to mine (Rubi suspension, 35s, leveling kit, etc). But it’s still semi stock. But overall I’m a city driver. Hence the reason I also went with ATs versus MT tires. So the extra thing such as locker, disconnects, gears weren’t worth the extra cost in my case to get a Rubicon. And that’s just a Rubicon without any of my creature comforts or body options (ie; leather seats, body color fenders). I’d much rather have my fully loaded Overland than a Rubicon with some cloth seats and plastic fenders.

Im happy with 35s at the moment and probably will be for awhile possibly forever. But if I wanted to go larger, although costly can obviously regear or add lockers etc later. In a perfect world would I have got a Rubicon? Absolutely as o long as it has the same features my Overland has and nothing less. But for that on a Rubi, for me just wasn’t worth it. Especially for my use.

I see you’re off road practicality is at 20%. So I guess with all that said it’s a matter of what matters most to you. Can you afford the extra cost for what features the Rubi offers? How important are those features to you vs the same features you’re comparing to on the Overland? (Assuming as stated you are comparing both models….fully loaded).Side note if you plan on keeping stock wheels for awhile. overland arguable has the best stock wheels of any trim. Just sayin.

My Overland

Jeep Gladiator Overland or Rubicon 3A765808-7762-455B-B53D-3319F2F47699

Jeep Gladiator Overland or Rubicon A4DB5437-39FD-4971-9AD9-EC90A68D92ED

Jeep Gladiator Overland or Rubicon 6077A7CD-888A-4F7D-8E60-AC8381CDE921

Jeep Gladiator Overland or Rubicon F2406A6E-BD80-4D87-9157-0C3231E51F98

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
Two thoughts. You don’t need a rubicon for what you mentioned.

however, if you’re going to stick with 35s, I’d get a rubicon for the 4.10s. Past 35s, you’ll want to re-gear anyway and you’ll need at least a spacer lift so might as well get an overland.

btw, I have the low speed crawl control and off-road pages in my overland. It works really well. I just don’t have the different off-road modes and you can go faster in the crawl control in a rubicon.

I had a rubicon before. I bought it becuse I was in CO and I used it there on super steep mountain trails. I don’t want a 4:1 TC here. I would have strongly considered a Mojave if it was out when I bought mine though.

Last edited:

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
Ok some I did some soul search on the same topic for awhile prior to getting my Overland.

So for me the Overland just worked and I wouldn’t have changed it. I’m super happy with my Overland. There literally isn’t a feature it doesn’t have (as far as packages, groups, add ons etc). Although I wasn’t opting for the Diesel version from either I’m not sure how there’s only a 4k difference for you. Maybe location and other factors, etc. But no matter how much I factored it in I was looking at another 8k roughly difference in price at the time last year I bought mine.

So here’s my thing…For me, I couldn’t justify an extra 8k for a(non-loaded) Rubicon for me needs. Do I Offroad? Absolutely, but I live in the city so it’s a good distance drive in any direction to do that. But I can. And my Overland as most other Jeeps even stock is pretty damn capable Offroad for my liking and amount. Yes I’ve done a little to mine (Rubi suspension, 35s, leveling kit, etc). But it’s still semi stock. But overall I’m a city driver. Hence the reason I also went with ATs versus MT tires. So the extra thing such as locker, disconnects, gears weren’t worth the extra cost in my case to get a Rubicon. And that’s just a Rubicon without any of my creature comforts or body options (ie; leather seats, body color fenders). I’d much rather have my fully loaded Overland than a Rubicon with some cloth seats and plastic fenders.

Im happy with 35s at the moment and probably will be for awhile possibly forever. But if I wanted to go larger, although costly can obviously regear. In a perfect world would I have got a Rubicon? Absolutely as o long as it has the same features my Overland has and nothing less. But for that on a Rubi, for me just wasn’t worth it. Especially for my use.

I see you’re off road practicality is at 20%. So I guess with all that said it’s a matter of what matters most to you. Can you afford the extra cost for what features the Rubi offers? How important are those features to you vs the same features you’re comparing to on the Overland? (Assuming as stated you are comparing both models….fully loaded).

My Overland

3A765808-7762-455B-B53D-3319F2F47699.jpeg

A4DB5437-39FD-4971-9AD9-EC90A68D92ED.jpeg

6077A7CD-888A-4F7D-8E60-AC8381CDE921.jpeg

F2406A6E-BD80-4D87-9157-0C3231E51F98.jpeg
They look so good on the stock wheels with bigger tires. I only have 285/70/18s on a rubicon take off suspension, but it completely transformed the look.
Jeep Gladiator Overland or Rubicon 143E0CF3-5E62-4E5E-847B-DE5102C65E5D

Sponsored

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Don’t get me wrong, the overland owners above have beautiful Jeeps. But I believe that’s one of the problems if you intend to use these off road a fair amount. I think 20% is quite a lot of off road use. Most probably do 5%. The overland has the attractive 18”wheels, but 18” wheels aren’t ideal for off roading with less sidewall. I retract this statement if we’re taking about 40’s, but I don’t think we are. I too like stock wheels, but bigger tires on stock 17” wheels are more functional off-road. I think if you’re mostly driving in the city and/or on the beach, or forest/gravel roads, the overland is great. But I think it’s more expensive to upgrade than a rubicon is, as the rubi has much more to start. Here’s mine with stock wheels and 37’s.
9B493650-9F21-4D0B-949A-AD77252A28E1.jpeg

Last edited:

Sarge502

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Vehicle Showcase
Don’t get me wrong, the overland owners above have beautiful Jeeps. But I believe that’s one of the problems if you intend to use these off road a fair amount. I think 20% is quite a lot of off road use. Most probably do 5%. The overland has the attractive 20” wheels, but 20” wheels aren’t ideal for off roading with so much less sidewall. I retract this statement if we’re taking about 40’s, but I don’t think we are. I too like stock wheels, but bigger tires on stock 17” wheels are more functional off-road. I think if you’re mostly driving in the city and/or on the beach, or forest/gravel roads, the overland is great. But I think it’s more expensive to upgrade than a rubicon is, as the rubi has much more to start. Here’s mine with stock wheels and 37’s.
Appreciate the compliments. Yours is nice as well. But Overlands don’t come with 20 inch wheels as you mentioned unless it’s the High Altitude version. Overland come on 18s which I also prefer. Again your Rubi is nice but as most I don’t prefer the plastic fenders. Odds are you have cloth seats and probably not half the creature comforts my Overland has. So to each their own I always say. I literally went down this same road for months. Lol. Good luck OP

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Appreciate the compliments. Yours is nice as well. But Overlands don’t come with 20 inch wheels as you mentioned unless it’s the High Altitude version. Overland come on 18s which I also prefer.
You’re right of course. My mistake completely. So more sidewall than 20’s for sure, but not as much as 17’s. Have you found as many tire options available, or is it more limited with 18? I’m genuinely interested, and am not being snide. Why do you prefer 18? Sorry for the error.

Sarge502

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Vehicle Showcase
You’re right of course. My mistake completely. So more sidewall than 20’s for sure, but not as much as 17’s. Have you found as many tire options available, or is it more limited with 18? I’m genuinely interested, and am not being snide. Why do you prefer 18? Sorry for the error.
It’s all good just didn’t want misleading info for the OP. To go to 35s tires on the Overland can be semi limited. Mainly since the overland wheel is 7.5 wide. Which is generally narrow but doable did a lot of research on that topic too. I opted for 295/70s which is kinda that sweet spot for width and height. Practically a 35 equivalent. Also heard of ppl doing 285s etc.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
Don’t get me wrong, the overland owners above have beautiful Jeeps. But I believe that’s one of the problems if you intend to use these off road a fair amount. I think 20% is quite a lot of off road use. Most probably do 5%. The overland has the attractive 20” wheels, but 20” wheels aren’t ideal for off roading with so much less sidewall. I retract this statement if we’re taking about 40’s, but I don’t think we are. I too like stock wheels, but bigger tires on stock 17” wheels are more functional off-road. I think if you’re mostly driving in the city and/or on the beach, or forest/gravel roads, the overland is great. But I think it’s more expensive to upgrade than a rubicon is, as the rubi has much more to start. Here’s mine with stock wheels and 37’s.
Jeep Gladiator Overland or Rubicon 9B493650-9F21-4D0B-949A-AD77252A28E1
They are 18” wheels, not 20”.

with my limited slip rear end and the auto brake limited slip up front, I’ve never had an issue with traction and I’ve been in some SE Red Clay in NC, GA, TN, and AL. If you aren’t familiar, it makes my A/Ts like slicks. I got my XJ and WJ stuck in it several times.
Sponsored