Sponsored

Rubicon vs Overland vs Mojave

GregUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW and BMW
Are all 3 of these similar if you are going to do some trails? Or do I need to get the Rubican? I don't want to limit myself when I can get a much more feature loaded Overland for 10k or so less. I do want to add bigger tires in the next 6 months.

Most of the time we are going to use it for daily driver, fishing, camping, kayaking etc. I don't believe we will tow anything more than
waverunners.

Appreciate the help
Sponsored

CJ5w4wdSmokyOnMyTail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave JT; 2016 Cherokee
Are all 3 of these similar if you are going to do some trails? Or do I need to get the Rubican? I don't want to limit myself when I can get a much more feature loaded Overland for 10k or so less. I do want to add bigger tires in the next 6 months.

Most of the time we are going to use it for daily driver, fishing, camping, kayaking etc. I don't believe we will tow anything more than
waverunners.

Appreciate the help
All three models are fine for general off-roading. You only NEED a Rubicon or Mojave for harder-core off road stuff (and I mean HARDER core). The Overland will be great for what you describe. You might need a mild lift (or just a inexpensive "budget boost") if you want to run much bigger tires. Adding 33" tires is fine on an Overland if you install a 1.5" budget boost. Plenty of people take their Overland edition Glads on lots of pretty tough trails, mud, rocky two-tracks and such and they excel. Enjoy your new Gladiator! Lots of fun!

Danzigsdad

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 85 Toyota 4WD, 2000 Landrover Disco II
Occupation
Mil
I just traded my Overland, Mopar 2” lift on 35s for a Rubi. I drove it 27k miles in the last 7 months and it did all of what you described, very well. I loved it. Decent gas mileage, surprisingly peppy on the highway 3 hours a day. The market and future challenging trips with other built jeeps drove the trade (Paid me what I paid when I got it). My decision through reading came down to this: wanted diesel and lockers. Narrowing it to the Rubi. Drove the Mojave last week and it was incredible on the road compared to my larger tires and lift. No front locker or diesel. All to say, you will be happy if you honestly access what you will do most and buy accordingly. Heated seats and the alpine radio are better money spent if you don’t plan to use lockers and such. You’re in the same spot I was a bit ago. Get what makes you happy and adjust if you decide to go a different direction. They hold their value and allow you to adjust. Hope it helped a little.

GibbonsMonkey

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator; 2020 Ford F350
My mother taught me that if you can’t spell it, you don’t need it. My suggestion would be to start with a cheaper model and build it to suit your needs as you research and learn what works best for you.

Sarge502

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Vehicle Showcase

waverunners.

Appreciate the help
Ok first of all I say this with no offense to the Rubicon owners out there. But I couldn’t myself justify the extra 9-10k more it cost than my Overland. Maybe it’s just for my purposes but I actually bought my JT looking specifically for the Overland and didn’t just fall into that trim. Nor am I a cheap person with anything. Actually quite the opposite in most cases. Same reason I knew for a fact I didn’t want a Sport Base model. I don’t get base anything. Just my preference. I mean even comparing all trims stock wheels. Once again the Overland in my opinion has the best looking stock wheels which is why I’m keeping them at least for awhile (although I wish they were slightly wider, but that’s another story). Overland trim is not basic by any means. So that’s why I went with it.

With all that said. I personally think the Overland in so many ways can be the best trim besides a Rubicon for the price range. I also prefer a lot of the luxury features. I mean I’ve seen plenty of Rubicon’s that don’t even have leather seats or body colored fenders etc yet it’s the top trim. Don’t get me wrong either, some rubicon owners could care less. So it goes both ways. I personally just can’t justify the extra 10 grand on off road features that I feel like I’m not going to use as much as the price would justify. But I also live in the city, and don’t use my JT as a daily driver and is more of an every other weekend warrior. Doesn’t also mean that I can’t and won’t get my Overland off road to an extent with some mudding or gravel off roads. But I’m not rock crawling over here.
But at the same time for those that want to go that route you can obviously upgrade whatever trim to fit your needs which is why I get some who buy Sports. That just isn’t me. So overall I think it boils down to what kind of person you are and what your overall plans for the Jeep are. Just my two sense.

Last edited:

Sponsored

steveorama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland
This is always a fun question. The Rubi guys will of course tell you that nothing beats their Rubicon. And the Mojave guys will tell you why the Mojave is better than the Rubicon. That's an argument that will most likely never be won. At the end of the day buy what you want and what you feel comfortable paying. It sounds like you've already have made up your mind mostly.

I looked at the options too when I bought my Overland last month. I considered this was going to be my new DD, I was trading in a Silverado LTZ that I drove the last 6 years and I've gotten used to all the creature comforts that came with it. Not wanting to loose those, the Overland is a smart choice. I picked up mine with almost all the options minus the blind spot/adaptive cruise and the front camera. Otherwise all the other options were checked. MSRP was just under $54k. The same build out in a Rubi or Mojave I was looking at $65k. $10k is $10k, I just don't see the reason to spend money on parts I'm not going to use very often. For others it may make sense or maybe they have some extra money to burn. Personally, I'm looking at 95% paved surfaces with the occasional trail run or hunting trip. I replaced my OEM tires with 33s and just got back from Big Bend NP. I ran all the trails and had absolutely no issues. Those trails are not extremely demanding, but probably more technical than the speed humps that most Rubicon or Mojave buyers will ever see. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Overland trim off-road. There's not much you can't add on to the suspension at a later date if your heart desires and probably for less than the initial $10k.

OP
OP

GregUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW and BMW
This is always a fun question. The Rubi guys will of course tell you that nothing beats their Rubicon. And the Mojave guys will tell you why the Mojave is better than the Rubicon. That's an argument that will most likely never be won. At the end of the day buy what you want and what you feel comfortable paying. It sounds like you've already have made up your mind mostly.

I looked at the options too when I bought my Overland last month. I considered this was going to be my new DD, I was trading in a Silverado LTZ that I drove the last 6 years and I've gotten used to all the creature comforts that came with it. Not wanting to loose those, the Overland is a smart choice. I picked up mine with almost all the options minus the blind spot/adaptive cruise and the front camera. Otherwise all the other options were checked. MSRP was just under $54k. The same build out in a Rubi or Mojave I was looking at $65k. $10k is $10k, I just don't see the reason to spend money on parts I'm not going to use very often. For others it may make sense or maybe they have some extra money to burn. Personally, I'm looking at 95% paved surfaces with the occasional trail run or hunting trip. I replaced my OEM tires with 33s and just got back from Big Bend NP. I ran all the trails and had absolutely no issues. Those trails are not extremely demanding, but probably more technical than the speed humps that most Rubicon or Mojave buyers will ever see. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Overland trim off-road. There's not much you can't add on to the suspension at a later date if your heart desires and probably for less than the initial $10k.
The main thing I wanted to make sure is the version I buy I am not limiting myself off the bat to go offroading. This will be my first Jeep. So knowing you can use any of them except for hardcore trails is nice to know.

Good to know they hold value so if I want to trade it I don't take a bath like I would with a Audi or Mercedes SUV.

steveorama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland
The main thing I wanted to make sure is the version I buy I am not limiting myself off the bat to go offroading. This will be my first Jeep. So knowing you can use any of them except for hardcore trails is nice to know.

Good to know they hold value so if I want to trade it I don't take a bath like I would with a Audi or Mercedes SUV.
As far as trims go, no you won’t be limiting yourself to go off-road from what you described you want to do. I’ve owned 3 Wranglers (a YJ and 2 TJs) and now my JT. Jeeps have always been extremely capable regardless of the trim.

Before the Rubicon came out in ‘03 on the TJ there wasn’t much difference between the trims other than cosmetics and the drivetrain. Jeep figured they would get in on the aftermarket action by selling a trim with some of the popular aftermarket add ons. Obviously it was a hit and Jeep ran with it from there. It’s solid marketing and smart for those who want exactly what they’re offering and a warranty.

As far as resale goes on the Gladiator, that’s going to be something to watch. Historically Wranglers hold their value amazingly. The Gladiator is still too new to compare and with the current used car values it’s not setting a realistic baseline. Same thing is true with new car sales as well. COVID and then the chip shortage has skewed new car sales. The Gladiator debuted at a poor time and hasn’t moved as many units as Jeep had hoped, but sales are quickly improving. Assumptions are since it’s in the same market as the Wrangler it should hold its value comparative to that vs the rest of the Jeep lineup. In 10 years we should all have a better understanding by then.

Scootjeep

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT Professional
I’m in the Atlanta area and around here Sport S are about 42-44K, overland are 43k-45k. Mojave 47k-50k and rubicon is 49k plus. This are rough figures from May to June when I bought mine.

I don’t like leather because I like water resistant seat covers more. Wear them out or damage them and they can be replaced easier and cheaper than a leather seat.

I knew I wanted to build a truck over time to tackle local trails and some out of state/overlanding trails. I was torn between a rubicon and a Mojave. I drove them both on the same day and The Mojave is much more comfortable to drive. Handles rough roads much smoother. So For daily driving it gets the win.

i also really like that the rear locker can be used in 4wd high, reinforced frame, cast iron steering knuckles and that fantastic suspension. I went Mojave and couldn’t be happier.

Sarge502

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Vehicle Showcase
I’m in the Atlanta area and around here Sport S are about 42-44K, overland are 43k-45k. Mojave 47k-50k and rubicon is 49k plus. This are rough figures from May to June when I bought mine.

I don’t like leather because I like water resistant seat covers more. Wear them out or damage them and they can be replaced easier and cheaper than a leather seat.

I knew I wanted to build a truck over time to tackle local trails and some out of state/overlanding trails. I was torn between a rubicon and a Mojave. I drove them both on the same day and The Mojave is much more comfortable to drive. Handles rough roads much smoother. So For daily driving it gets the win.

i also really like that the rear locker can be used in 4wd high, reinforced frame, cast iron steering knuckles and that fantastic suspension. I went Mojave and couldn’t be happier.
Those numbers even from that time frame are quite off compared here in KY. Overland are about 47-53k (mine was 52), and rubicon’s and Mojave’s are around 53-64k. So must be nice.

Sponsored

Fizzy Logic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Golf R
I was in a similar boat and chose the Overland for two reasons.

Here in Australia, O and R are similar prices and Mojave isn't available. I would have bought the Mojave for it's transfer case, suspension and off-road+ mode. So I bought the O.

I bought the O for Selec-Trac II w LSD because it lets me leave it in 4WD-for-dummies on paved roads. Done. I also bought it for all the shiny like colour match everything and lots of cow on the inside.

HTH

Scootjeep

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT Professional
Those numbers even from that time frame are quite off compared here in KY. Overland are about 47-53k (mine was 52), and rubicon’s and Mojave’s are around 53-64k. So must be nice.
I got my Mojave for$47k in June, not I can’t find it for under$49k. It’sa very strange market

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
There's an oddly accurate adage that 95% of Rubicon owners will never use it as a Rubicon. Too many times has it been heard that "I got it for the lockers" and then they go largely unused. At that point it's just there to brag about. If you're looking to say "I got the Rubicon, I'm awesome!" then yes by all means go for it! If you have a real use for the Rubi features (which based on your post, likely that you don't) then the Rubicon is a great trim level if you're making full use of it. However if you aren't, and especially if you're using it as your daily, the Overland is going to be a very solid choice. I had this same discussion in my head when I bought mine and I'm real glad I stayed with the Overland.

And remember, you can always upgrade the Overland with new suspension, lockers, or re-gear it in the future. At that point it's essentially a Rubicon. (Waiting for the obligatory "It's never exactly a Rubicon" rebuttal).

sandifer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator (Mojave)
Occupation
retired from IT business
Vehicle Showcase
Those numbers even from that time frame are quite off compared here in KY. Overland are about 47-53k (mine was 52), and Rubicon’s and Mojave’s are around 53-64k. So must be nice.
I agreee with Sarge502 !!!!....Never seen a Mojave here in Colorado for below 50K price...then add on the destination charge, transmission, windshield, brakes, seat belts etc...LOL..... Never gona get a Rubi or Mojave in the 47-50 here in Colorado at least, even with nothing on it. The 53-64 is much more realistic....

BTW....on a side note.....Go to the dealer and "drive" the Mojave. It drives mighty good on those 6K Fox Mojave special shocks/springs and you can get all the same luxury options as the Overlander. Plus the Mojave has unique seats that are very comfortable, highline fenders (37's no lift), cool hood, reinforced frame... etc..etc... .....just saying..!!!

Last edited:

Dmc

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
Retired
I ended up with the Mojave. My wife was more comfortable in it, we drove other models and either the ride was to harsh or the seats were not as comfortable.

I won’t be doing any rock crawling, just dirt roads or maybe the beech. maybe some easy trails.
Sponsored