Sponsored

Overland or Sport S with Max Tow at same price?

Playalistic

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW
Hello! I have narrowed my options down to an Overland and a Sport S with Max Tow, and can get them at the same price or $36,000 (good price?)

My wife and I have three little kids and we will be using this to tow our camper. We currently have a pop up but will be upgrading it as soon as we purchase the gladiator. We do not have a model picked out. We likely won’t off-road with the gladiator either.

I know a lot of It will have to do with the included options, but does anyone have any advice on which to go with? Also since we don’t have our camper picked out yet I’m sure we can find a light weight that will easily come in under the 6,000 pounds of towing on the Overland. Not that we would get that close to the top end weight anyway.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Last edited:

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
The max tow should be more stable with a trailer, and the 17" wheels give a greater variety of aftermarket tires at more reasonable prices than the 18" on the Overland. The Overland is like a Wrangler Sahara in that it has more creature comforts (I think, but check the list of std, equipment). The max tow also has the stronger axles/differentials. It also has a slightly wider track for more stability. Depending on the list prices (around $44-45K?) your deal is good.

OP
OP

Playalistic

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW
The max tow should be more stable with a trailer, and the 17" wheels give a greater variety of aftermarket tires at more reasonable prices than the 18" on the Overland. The Overland is like a Wrangler Sahara in that it has more creature comforts (I think, but check the list of std, equipment). The max tow also has the stronger axles/differentials. It also has a slightly wider track for more stability. Depending on the list prices (around $44-45K?) your deal is good.
Good call, yes the list price is about $45k on both.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I'd go with the Max tow to get the extra gearing and wider axles in case you want to add larger tires later on. I paid $37,000 out the door for mine in February and I looked hard at a overland that would of been around $43,000 out the door, but after driving both of them it was no brainer. I could feel the difference in the shifting, particularly on inclines, between the 2 and it sold me on the Max tow. I would imagine on 35's the overland would start to feel like a dog and definitely on 37's.

If your looking for the softer more comfortable ride then the overland would be your choice, softer suspension, but keep in mind if you want to add steel bumpers and winch later on then that's going to cause more sagging than a Max tow.

OP
OP

Playalistic

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW
I'd go with the Max tow to get the extra gearing and wider axles in case you want to add larger tires later on. I paid $37,000 out the door for mine in February and I looked hard at a overland that would of been around $43,000 out the door, but after driving both of them it was no brainer. I could feel the difference in the shifting, particularly on inclines, between the 2 and it sold me on the Max tow. I would imagine on 35's the overland would start to feel like a dog and definitely on 37's.

If your looking for the softer more comfortable ride then the overland would be your choice, softer suspension, but keep in mind if you want to add steel bumpers and winch later on then that's going to cause more sagging than a Max tow.
Great advice thanks!

Sponsored

z0lt3c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Build Thread
Link
I'm running a base Sport with a 2" lift and 35" tires and I have no complaints with the gearing or performance of the vehicle. I kinda feel like the max tow is a little overrated for those of us not pushing the vehicle to it's extreme limits.

Financially, the Overland has much stronger incentives this month so I found it odd that these vehicles would be the same price. I think the Overland is a much better value, unless you plan on keeping it forever, the resale will be stronger with the Overland.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I'm running a base Sport with a 2" lift and 35" tires and I have no complaints with the gearing or performance of the vehicle. I kinda feel like the max tow is a little overrated for those of us not pushing the vehicle to it's extreme limits.

Financially, the Overland has much stronger incentives this month so I found it odd that these vehicles would be the same price. I think the Overland is a much better value, unless you plan on keeping it forever, the resale will be stronger with the Overland.
If you care anything about gearing and performance and adding bigger tires and weight then your going to get much better performance out of a Max Tow than a overland. The resale on a Sahara and a Sport is pretty close to the same on a wrangler, I'll be willing to bet that it's not going to change on a Gladiator.

I would be willing to bet also that more people than not would prefer 4.10 gears than 3.73 gears. I thought it wouldn't be much of a difference but trust me it is.

TheHime

First Name
Jaime
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep gladiator
Hello! I have narrowed my options down to an Overland and a Sport S with Max Tow, and can get them at the same price or $36,000 (good price?)

My wife and I have three little kids and we will be using this to tow our camper. We currently have a pop up but will be upgrading it as soon as we purchase the gladiator. We do not have a model picked out. We likely won’t off-road with the gladiator either.

I know a lot of It will have to do with the included options, but does anyone have any advice on which to go with? Also since we don’t have our camper picked out yet I’m sure we can find a light weight that will easily come in under the 6,000 pounds of towing on the Overland. Not that we would get that close to the top end weight anyway.

Thanks in advance.
Speaking about family. Did you see how your three kids fit in the Gladiator? My fiancée and I are planning on having 3 kids and I’ve been back and forth on a full size pick up or Gladiator. I’m almost sold in the Gladiator, but the only thing is fitting 3 kids and maybe our dog in the back will be tough.

OP
OP

Playalistic

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW
Speaking about family. Did you see how your three kids fit in the Gladiator? My fiancée and I are planning on having 3 kids and I’ve been back and forth on a full size pick up or Gladiator. I’m almost sold in the Gladiator, but the only thing is fitting 3 kids and maybe our dog in the back will be tough.
Our car seats barely fit. I’d look into this brand though I think we will switch to these they look to fit pretty well
Jeep Gladiator Overland or Sport S with Max Tow at same price? 7C27A30B-80FF-4F87-84D6-186254FF797E

bluedevil1

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, 2005 F250 Diesel
Occupation
Educator
Vehicle Showcase
Just do it! The dog goes in the bed of the Gladi in a crate. Or the kids. Either way, you're good! :)

Sponsored

bluedevil1

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, 2005 F250 Diesel
Occupation
Educator
Vehicle Showcase
OP, I would do the Max Tow for the above reasons. The 4.10 ratio, axles and width aren't add ons for later, but you can always change/upgrade everything else . The higher strength alternator is a bonus so when you have the radio blasting you can't hear the kids arguing!

beefcake

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Nurse
I hunted down a max tow specifically so I'm going to be much more inclined to lead you in that direction. However, how is the Sport S optioned out? How is the overland optioned out? Then out of those, which of them are MUST HAVEs for you?

TheHime

First Name
Jaime
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep gladiator
Our car seats barely fit. I’d look into this brand though I think we will switch to these they look to fit pretty well
Jeep Gladiator Overland or Sport S with Max Tow at same price? 7C27A30B-80FF-4F87-84D6-186254FF797E
Thank you so much! This is awesome and good to know it can be done!

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
I also searched out a max tow and nothing else would work for me. I like the big alternator and battery, the suspension, stronger axle assemblies, etc. I previously had a 2017 Recon because of the HD front differential, mostly, but the max tow front diff is much stronger than that. It looks like the Overland offers daytime headlights, different seat cloth, and halogen headlamps. For me, these are easier to add later if needed or wanted, but the max tow option is not. If you are mall crawling, never towing, highway driving, it might not matter to you. Just my opinion, your JT has to please you.

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
I would read the towing forum if you haven't already lots of good info there.
Sponsored