First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT OE, 2016 Polaris Slingshot, 2012 Kia Sportage, 2018 Nissan LEAF
Occupation
Linux Engineer
So let me tell you what happened with me... I like the idea of camping...haven't really been in over 15 years. But since I am now married and have a kid, my wife wants to "glamp". With that being said, I figured a lower cost alternative would be an RTT so we would be off the ground, be more comfy, and setting up would be simple and quick. So I order the ACE Upper Decker and RTT mounts. Will probably be here in 2-3 weeks. Whelp...since the time I ordered it till now...the wife has become fixated on travel trailers. Something we had discussed many times prior to me ordering the ACE UP and RTT mounts. I feel that it's been too long to cancel the order and we are now shopping for a trailer. I still plan on getting a RTT at some point...something that will fit myself and my son, so we can do some father son bonding trips. But...had the wife really expressed that the travel trailer route was what she really wanted in the first place...I wouldn't have purchased any kind of RTT set up.
Sponsored

Etoimos

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
So let me tell you what happened with me... I like the idea of camping...haven't really been in over 15 years. But since I am now married and have a kid, my wife wants to "glamp". With that being said, I figured a lower cost alternative would be an RTT so we would be off the ground, be more comfy, and setting up would be simple and quick. So I order the ACE Upper Decker and RTT mounts. Will probably be here in 2-3 weeks. Whelp...since the time I ordered it till now...the wife has become fixated on travel trailers. Something we had discussed many times prior to me ordering the ACE UP and RTT mounts. I feel that it's been too long to cancel the order and we are now shopping for a trailer. I still plan on getting a RTT at some point...something that will fit myself and my son, so we can do some father son bonding trips. But...had the wife really expressed that the travel trailer route was what she really wanted in the first place...I wouldn't have purchased any kind of RTT set up.

All I heard Grant was blah blah blah. lol I should have know you would be on this forum as well. So you ordered the Upper Decker? I'd like to check that out when it comes in. It is on my short list of rack options. Even with my OGT trailer (which you should come checkout some time) I'd like to have a simple rack and RTT setup for when I want to hit harder trails solo.

Br4hm4

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Linux Engineer
All I heard Grant was blah blah blah. lol I should have know you would be on this forum as well. So you ordered the Upper Decker? I'd like to check that out when it comes in. It is on my short list of rack options. Even with my OGT trailer (which you should come checkout some time) I'd like to have a simple rack and RTT setup for when I want to hit harder trails solo.
Oh hell...You're here already Keith? lol. My Upper Decker will be here in a few weeks. You can check it out. I plan on setting it up anyway since I don't think I can cancel my order. Then I am going to pick up an iKamper so Asher and I can take trips in a few years. For now...we are looking at a 26 ft trailer...I blame Shawnda's family since everyone in her family has a damn trailer. lol

Flying J

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
I was helping a friend film an advertising video for his business (pro video company, not me shooting the video). One night we camped in the Dixie National Forest outside of Torrey, UT. Five vehicles, four with RTTs on trailers, one with a two-person backpacking tent--me. The other four all had two folks in each vehicle. I was by myself, and had been on the road for the past ten days (had just finished WABDR across Washington). We all started camp setup at the same time. And we all finished within a minute of each other--took about six minutes to get tents set up and sleeping gear laid out. My tent, poles, stakes, sleeping pad and bag are all stored in a single crag bag (strong bag used by climbers to store their ropes, metal hardware, etc), so there's no searching here and there for gear stored all over. And my tent (an MSR Hubba Hubba) is designed for fast setup and take-down. If anyone is taking 30 minutes, then I hope that's because they spent 15 of them searching for that last plastic three-way fitting for the 24 poles that make up the metal structure that hold up their three room tent--and ended up having to MacGyver a tree branch because it was never found.

I'm not going to go into the advantages/disadvantage of RTTs vs ground tents. But I'm going to address the question asked in this thread: Why are people spending this much money? And I blame it on the likes of certain YouTube channels and magazines that promote what they're given, lending a certain style to what overlanding is supposed to be. For those folks, promoting expensive "must have" gear is how they pay their own way. And that is one of the reasons that, with my Gladiator, I'm attempting to go a cheaper way; Not in necessary gear, such as a winch, etc. But, in my videos on my channel I intend to explore a less expensive route to overlanding. And when I do mods (such as the upcoming dual-battery system), I'll explain why I did that in a series of studio chats as the mods occur. In that way, viewers can decide how my justification for the expense butts up against their own needs. I'll still have my more "luxurious" Wrangler on some trips, but when you see the Gladiator, it'll sometimes be in a more lean mode. And at other times I'll be in more of a trailer with a driver mode: Carrying extra gear for my traveling companion, who is responsible for all the regular luxuries (such as a fridge, shower, etc). For example, I might carry better chairs and a table than we'd normally have. And maybe a Dutch oven, so we can cook something fancy.

Anyway, if you think that sounds cynical of me, I'd agree. But, I'm worried about young people who look at someone like me and think, "Oh my, I need to build my Jeep something like Mark's so I can do what Mark does." Then they go out and get into hock up to their eyeballs to do so. I can afford what I buy. I'm retired and in a very good position financially. But I don't want to see overlanding limited to people like me. Preserving our public lands (and not so public lands) means folks need to have an appreciation for what we have. And the more people who actually experience it, the better protected those precious places will be.

The 30 minute comment was about the time I could set up camp, not just the tent.
Tent, carpet, cots, sleeping pads, sleeping bags, table.lights,fan......
If I want a instant set up, I have a Nemo Morphis Tent that has air bladders in stead of poles, no guide lines, zip.
I can have it up and set up inside in less then 5 minutes.

IMG_0119.JPG

IMG_0118.JPG

IMG_0077.JPG

Sponsored

velogeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport S Max Tow
I was helping a friend film an advertising video for his business (pro video company, not me shooting the video). One night we camped in the Dixie National Forest outside of Torrey, UT. Five vehicles, four with RTTs on trailers, one with a two-person backpacking tent--me. The other four all had two folks in each vehicle. I was by myself, and had been on the road for the past ten days (had just finished WABDR across Washington). We all started camp setup at the same time. And we all finished within a minute of each other--took about six minutes to get tents set up and sleeping gear laid out. My tent, poles, stakes, sleeping pad and bag are all stored in a single crag bag (strong bag used by climbers to store their ropes, metal hardware, etc), so there's no searching here and there for gear stored all over. And my tent (an MSR Hubba Hubba) is designed for fast setup and take-down. If anyone is taking 30 minutes, then I hope that's because they spent 15 of them searching for that last plastic three-way fitting for the 24 poles that make up the metal structure that hold up their three room tent--and ended up having to MacGyver a tree branch because it was never found.

I'm not going to go into the advantages/disadvantage of RTTs vs ground tents. But I'm going to address the question asked in this thread: Why are people spending this much money? And I blame it on the likes of certain YouTube channels and magazines that promote what they're given, lending a certain style to what overlanding is supposed to be. For those folks, promoting expensive "must have" gear is how they pay their own way. And that is one of the reasons that, with my Gladiator, I'm attempting to go a cheaper way; Not in necessary gear, such as a winch, etc. But, in my videos on my channel I intend to explore a less expensive route to overlanding. And when I do mods (such as the upcoming dual-battery system), I'll explain why I did that in a series of studio chats as the mods occur. In that way, viewers can decide how my justification for the expense butts up against their own needs. I'll still have my more "luxurious" Wrangler on some trips, but when you see the Gladiator, it'll sometimes be in a more lean mode. And at other times I'll be in more of a trailer with a driver mode: Carrying extra gear for my traveling companion, who is responsible for all the regular luxuries (such as a fridge, shower, etc). For example, I might carry better chairs and a table than we'd normally have. And maybe a Dutch oven, so we can cook something fancy.

Anyway, if you think that sounds cynical of me, I'd agree. But, I'm worried about young people who look at someone like me and think, "Oh my, I need to build my Jeep something like Mark's so I can do what Mark does." Then they go out and get into hock up to their eyeballs to do so. I can afford what I buy. I'm retired and in a very good position financially. But I don't want to see overlanding limited to people like me. Preserving our public lands (and not so public lands) means folks need to have an appreciation for what we have. And the more people who actually experience it, the better protected those precious places will be.
Why do people spend $5k for a temporary vinyl wrap on a car or for bit ass wheels and tires? Why do people buy 500hp sports cars or a Rubicon to just drive on the street? Why pay for a 4" lift a 2500HD that negatively impacts every quality that makes it a usable pickup?

Because people will always spend money chasing trends and accessorizing vehicles is nearly as old as the automobile itself. Affordability has never been an issue for many people and I don't even want to talk about how many tire and wheel packages I sold working for various shops to people putting them on cut-rate credit cards. You can finance almost any car mod these days and people love making it look like they're doing better than they actually are.

If you stop looking at the overlanding trend through the functional lens and instead see them as appearance mods, it all makes a lot more sense - it just happens that these appearance mods have some sort of functional quality.

Etoimos

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Oh hell...You're here already Keith? lol. My Upper Decker will be here in a few weeks. You can check it out. I plan on setting it up anyway since I don't think I can cancel my order. Then I am going to pick up an iKamper so Asher and I can take trips in a few years. For now...we are looking at a 26 ft trailer...I blame Shawnda's family since everyone in her family has a damn trailer. lol
Been here over a year now. I found this place once the JT was more than just a rumor. The iKampers are pretty nice, but if I was doing all over again I'd get the Roofnest Falcon. And a 26' trailer?!?!? You should trade the JT in on a RAM 1500. lol

Br4hm4

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Linux Engineer
Been here over a year now. I found this place once the JT was more than just a rumor. The iKampers are pretty nice, but if I was doing all over again I'd get the Roofnest Falcon. And a 26' trailer?!?!? You should trade the JT in on a RAM 1500. lol
I almost bought the 1500...But I figured I would never tow a trailer...And I am not going to give up on my favorite vehicle I have ever owned just because of some trailer. lol

Ok...the falcon nest looks cool. I am probably about 8-10 months out from buying a RTT...at the very least.

Sponsored

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU X, 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am, 2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Why do people spend $5k for a temporary vinyl wrap on a car or for bit ass wheels and tires? Why do people buy 500hp sports cars or a Rubicon to just drive on the street? Why pay for a 4" lift a 2500HD that negatively impacts every quality that makes it a usable pickup?

Because people will always spend money chasing trends and accessorizing vehicles is nearly as old as the automobile itself. Affordability has never been an issue for many people and I don't even want to talk about how many tire and wheel packages I sold working for various shops to people putting them on cut-rate credit cards. You can finance almost any car mod these days and people love making it look like they're doing better than they actually are.

If you stop looking at the overlanding trend through the functional lens and instead see them as appearance mods, it all makes a lot more sense - it just happens that these appearance mods have some sort of functional quality.
You are right, people will spend money. But this is different than how people were spending money 20 years ago, 50 years ago. When I bought my first new car a half century ago, I financed it on a three year loan. My military flight pay of $95 paid the entire car payment each month. And, in three years that loan would be paid off and I could use that money to buy other things. It was millions of people buying cars on three year loads who could go out and keep the American economy going. We are no longer in that position. Nowhere close. This isn't keeping up with Mark or the Jones. It's madness. And there are people taking advantage of the gullibility of the young and not so wealthy.

Etoimos

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
I almost bought the 1500...But I figured I would never tow a trailer...And I am not going to give up on my favorite vehicle I have ever owned just because of some trailer. lol
What you really need to do is rethink the 26' trailer and get something that can go were your JT can go, not the other way around. When you go camping, you are supposed to leave the house at home ;)

Murgatroid

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase

I started out camping from my R60/2. Had a 4 man tent strapped across the front forks, a stove/pot pan set that all fit into itself, an inflatable bed mat and sleeping bags. Even with the added room of 4 doors and a bed, I still feel least is best.