Sponsored

Own a JT and JL? Notice this power and throttle response difference?

Sean0170

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT, JL, JK
Would have put this in the technical, but not sure where.

The wife has a 19 JL and I have a LE. Going back and forth from them I've noticed a huge difference in power and throttle response in the JT. It almost feels like there is plastic covering the air-box inlet ( I checked for gp). I didn't think there would this big of a difference. Any one else notice it?
Sponsored

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator Sport S
Which configuration JL is it? Weight plays a huge factor; the 2-door JL is ~3950lb and the JLU is ~4450lb. Your launch edition is probably closer to ~4800-5000lb. As a general rule of thumb, ~100lb = ~10hp difference

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram TRX, 2020 Gladiator LE
Vehicle Showcase
Would have put this in the technical, but not sure where.

The wife has a 19 JL and I have a LE. Going back and forth from them I've noticed a huge difference in power and throttle response in the JT. It almost feels like there is plastic covering the air-box inlet ( I checked for gp). I didn't think there would this big of a difference. Any one else notice it?
I've noticed that our JTR is much more responsive over our 2018 JLR. It runs fast like a scalded cat.

OP
OP
Sean0170

Sean0170

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT, JL, JK
Which configuration JL is it? Weight plays a huge factor; the 2-door JL is ~3950lb and the JLU is ~4450lb. Your launch edition is probably closer to ~4800-5000lb. As a general rule of thumb, ~100lb = ~10hp difference
Its a JLUR on 37s. I would have asssumed the JT would feel better because of the weight shift of the tire sizes.

OP
OP
Sean0170

Sean0170

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT, JL, JK
I've noticed that our JTR is much more responsive over our 2018 JLR. It runs fast like a scalded cat.

I REALLY dont want to take i to the dealer but I'm thinking I might have too.

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I went directly from a JLU to a JT with same suspension and same wheels/tires (swapped them over after deal was done) and there was a noticeable sluggishness in the JT.

The JLU actually felt quick. I used my Tazer to do some 0-60 runs one day when I was bored and I put down one run of 6.92 seconds. This was on 35" tires. Not shabby at all.

The JT, on the other hand, feels like a delivery truck. It's not nearly as quick, not even close.

I chalk it up to the 500 lb. weight difference and the 19% shorter axle gears (JT has to shift a lot more).

OP
OP
Sean0170

Sean0170

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT, JL, JK
I went directly from a JLU to a JT with same suspension and same wheels/tires (swapped them over after deal was done) and there was a noticeable sluggishness in the JT.

The JLU actually felt quick. I used my Tazer to do some 0-60 runs one day when I was bored and I put down one run of 6.92 seconds. This was on 35" tires. Not shabby at all.

The JT, on the other hand, feels like a delivery truck. It's not nearly as quick, not even close.

I chalk it up to the 500 lb. weight difference and the 19% shorter axle gears (JT has to shift a lot more).

Thank you. The delivery truck analogy is on point.

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I REALLY dont want to take i to the dealer but I'm thinking I might have too.
If you're running 37s, and haven't done so, you need to get the PCM calibrated to the tires. The transmission is missing its shift points.

OP
OP
Sean0170

Sean0170

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT, JL, JK
If you're running 37s, and haven't done so, you need to get the PCM calibrated to the tires. The transmission is missing its shift points.

The JT is still stock with the LE wheels and tires, the JLUR is on 37s and faster / more responsive without a tuner.

OL1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTLE Black, 2018 JLRU White, 1967 Corvette Converible, 2011 997.2 TTS
We have both, I haven't really noticed. The JTLE is lifted on 37's and I sort of baby her though since she has just over 500 miles now.

Sponsored

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The JT is still stock with the LE wheels and tires, the JLUR is on 37s and faster / more responsive without a tuner.
That is weird then. When we picked up our JTR the power and performance improvement was and is very noticeable. Now, our JLR is a 2DR, 6-spd manual, so to get it hauling butt I'm revving it out. On the JT it just feels ready to go at any time. We're also at 6,700ft above sea level too.

RH 67

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Rubicon Gladiator, Alfa Romeo Quad
Occupation
Retired DOD, Army SF, SS.
My JT hauls butt, i have lit up the rear tires more than once i exercise caution when getting a green light at a stop signal. 37`s should calm it down.

jwalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(2021 Gladiator Diesel Rubicon) (2020 Gladiator Overland) (2004 TJ, 2" lift).
I drive a JLU with the 2.0 and 37’s with the auto. When I test drive the JT with the 3.6, auto, and stock, I thought it felt very sluggish. The throttle response seemed slow and it just didn’t feel like my JL. This put me off quite a bit and am hoping to test drive a JT with the 3.0 next year or possibly an etorque 3.6.

Wbee

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2010 JKU
I notice my JLUR is slightly quicker than my JTR. My JTR is right at 500 miles and it was really sluggish the first 200 miles but it’s getting closer to my JLUR the more miles I put on it. I think now it’s about what I expected between the two. Both have 35’s and programmed for the tires.

wch_Chip

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
I honestly don't notice and real difference between my JT and my wife's JLU. I'll try to pay more attention.
Sponsored