Paint peeling on hood latch

bolingde

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladitor
I just wanted to give a heads up for others that might have the same problem. About a year into ownership of my JT the paint started peeling on the hood latch. It was covered under warranty but still wasn't a simple process.

First they told be to bring it in to look at it (about 30 miles). Then I set a appointment to drop it off for a week so they could send to a paint shop. I got a call in a day or so that the paint shop had people out and could I bring it back later. After a few weeks I dropped it off for the week paint deal again but after a few days they said the paint shop said they couldn't paint it because it wasn't primed from the factory right and the paint would peel off again. So I went and picked it up so they could order a new one. So this was over Thanksgivings but still about two weeks later I was told it was ready.

Bottomline maybe if this happens to you this will help you skip some of the runaround.

Jeep Gladiator Paint peeling on hood latch 20211011_101916
Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
OP
OP
bolingde

bolingde

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladitor
What was the runaround?

You can read but mainly just going the paint shop route only to fine out then that it's a replacement issue. Dealers either aren't being giving necessary information or the dealer dropped the ball. It should have been a two day issue at most instead of All together 1-2 months to get fixed.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
You can read but mainly just going the paint shop route only to fine out then that it's a replacement issue. Dealers either aren't being giving necessary information or the dealer dropped the ball. It should have been a two day issue at most instead of All together 1-2 months to get fixed.
Sounds like typical "kick the can" type stuff with the dealership and warranty work.

If you were a paying customer and not a warranty repair, they would have cut the back and forth down quite a bit.

OP
OP
bolingde

bolingde

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladitor
Sounds like typical "kick the can" type stuff with the dealership and warranty work.

If you were a paying customer and not a warranty repair, they would have cut the back and forth down quite a bit.
Yeah that's kind of the reason I posted it. If it happens to anyone else they can have the dealer check twice before the run around. It could be a unique problem but I wouldn't doubt that if one wasn't primed correctly there could be a whole batch.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
but after a few days they said the paint shop said they couldn't paint it because it wasn't primed from the factory right and the paint would peel off again.
HA - that's really funny - sorry, but it is, because any GOOD PAINT SHOP knows exactly how to prime such metals and materials in general. It's THEIR job to prime it and paint it.
I went in to a body shop I use for a flexible fender flare that started to peel and they said the wrong primer was used and the paint needed an additive - and that shop stripped the part, used the correct primer and the correct paint and 10 years later it's good.

Why the heck didn't the BODY shop prime it?

OR

What about simply replacing the dang part?

I put some blame on the body shop as well as the dealership. A body shop that would say "it wasn't primed properly" should know how to prime it and take the job on. But then - if it's warranty, then just replace the part.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
If it happens to anyone else they can have the dealer check twice before the run around.
That's what I was asking for; not going to the body shop, but instead go straight to the dealership.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah that's kind of the reason I posted it. If it happens to anyone else they can have the dealer check twice before the run around. It could be a unique problem but I wouldn't doubt that if one wasn't primed correctly there could be a whole batch.
That's how it usually works - in batches. I've found evidence of Jeep doing research to find sources of problems in past months, and the TSBs (or DRBs as Jeep used to call them) almost always point to specific dates, body build dates and so on. Example is a batch of push rods that went into engines - without the ends being heat treated. I hope someone lost their bonus over that one. Geesh, they are BLUE on the ends when heat treated and no one noticed the nice silver color on the ends? They had specific dates for that bulletin.

OP
OP
bolingde

bolingde

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladitor
That's what I was asking for; not going to the body shop, but instead go straight to the dealership.
Not just going to the dealer first (as I did) but insist that they check before sending you elsewhere. Sometimes dealers need all the help they can get to do they right thing.
Sponsored