Paint Quality

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
My gladiator is black also and it seems to get all those fine scratches after each wash, ive had many black vehicles over the years ford, chevy, dodge, and this black seems to be by far the worst, I know its a jeep, but i agree with Gren71

Clear coat is very hard, but, it is still easily scratched by an improper cloth. The only thing I can tell you is that I had my gladiator for 7K miles with lots of off-roading, mud, sand, dirt. I am the only one that washes it, and I use the proper procedures, and I do not have those micro scratches. First, I spend some time rinsing it, then, I use a fat microfiber or wool type sponge with a two bucket system to wash it. The final drying towels have to be thick, super soft, super clean, micro fiber. Use twice as many towels to dry as you normally do. As soon as they get moist, change to a clean one. I also keep my paint well waxed - this also helps avoid micro scratches when washing.

You do not really notice it, but, it is the little things that make the difference to avoid those pesky micro scratches. Make it a habit and you will not believe the difference.

Note: I also use 303 UV protection on all the black parts and rubber - fenders, hard top, hood inserts, hood clamps, etc... It gives a nice dark look, lasts a really, really long time and will make sure the black does not fade. You can buy it in gallon containers on Amazon. This is really great stuff and I have used it for years on cars and boats -- you cannot beat it. For my additional JT soft top, I use "Raggtopp" spray (also on Amazon). It also works great to keep the rag top looking new. I have also use this stuff for years on convertibles and it keeps the tops looking new and dark. Great stuff.
Sponsored

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I have billet silver and I am actually impressed how robust my finish has been so far. I have an air dryer I usually use, but since this was a jeep I figured wth and have been using towels. So far no micro maring even under direct light. I have had two dog climbing in incidents, bad kid backpack incident, and a trail ride, all have polished out easily with a small 3" buffer and Griots polishing compound. The finish is way more than I expected for a jeep. I had a delmonico red 2019 ram and the finish on that was way more fragile, and the workmanship was a bit less.

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
I have billet silver and I am actually impressed how robust my finish has been so far. I have an air dryer I usually use, but since this was a jeep I figured wth and have been using towels. So far no micro maring even under direct light. I have had two dog climbing in incidents, bad kid backpack incident, and a trail ride, all have polished out easily with a small 3" buffer and Griots polishing compound. The finish is way more than I expected for a jeep. I had a delmonico red 2019 ram and the finish on that was way more fragile, and the workmanship was a bit less.
Yea, I also have the master blaster drier and the water deionizer and I use the full Rupes big foot system for buffing. I love the Wolfgang Füzion Carnauba Polymer Estate Wax. I have been using it about 6 years now, and it is amazing -- the shine cannot be beat. No other wax even compares... My water is super hard, so, I have to use the water deionizer to use the master blaster, or I get spots, so, I do not bother to use it on the Gladiator. In the driveway, I like opening all the doors to the Gladiator and using the master blaster instead of a vacuum. Cleans out the interior and all the sand and dust really fast... lol...

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I actually have gone back to using one bucket. I start with a pressure washer rinse, with 25 degree nozzle. Then I use chemical brothers foam cannon with their pink stuff. Once the vehicle is fully covered with soap i have microfiber sponge that I take over each panel and rinse in my water bucket before moving to the next. Once the body is done I have an older sponge for wheels, cladding, and under fender. Then another rinse and master blast, or as of recent towel. Sounds like alot but it is actually pretty quick with the pressure spray. Touch everything up with Mother's wash and wax.
Sponsored