Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing - Planning & Research
I got quotes to do both for an aftermarket steel hood I purchased.

Powdercoating, I believe, is going to be more durable and the quote came in $150 less.

the owner said he can match just about any color and can give it a mirror finish.

Has anyone done this?

I am worried it will not match the rest of the paint perfectly in that: it will reflect light differently, it will age differently, get dirty differently, etc.

Legitimate considerations or just thinking about it too much?
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I do powder coating - granted, small parts, not frames or hoods, but still - parts for show cars among other things.
Yes, it WILL reflect light differently, yes it will age differently, colors will look different - you're not going to get a perfect match unless you want black or white (even then - it's not perfect in all cases)
You can get shine and depth if you clear powder over the color powder (you don't 100% cure the first coat, then powder it and into the heat again)
I have yet to get what I'd call a mirror finish, but I usually don't try. I get good shine - I did some quilting machine aluminum parts in a translucent raspberry color and it had a nice shine and real depth.

But as far as a perfect match, or the exact same look in the sun, etc. - I'd not look for that.
Tough, FLEXIBLE (I do SPRINGS and it never fails - I have powder coated a number of springs and have yet to have the finish give out) and it's tough - won't chip like paint, and chemicals won't hurt it like they will paint. In fact, if you mess up, heaven help you getting it off and starting over- takes some chemicals to get it off.
Can your hood handle 450 degree heat to melt the powder, then 400 degrees for curing? It will discolor a lot of steels so you'd want it powder coated all surfaces, under and above.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Color match would be a concern also you cannot touch up powder coating
Very true - it takes a hell of a lot to chip it, but then you're done unless someone has come up with a different process than I'm aware of.

I'd go so far as to say you won't get a perfect color match. It's plastic.
You can blend powders for different effects or custom colors, but that's experimental as you don't know until it's melted and set.