Painting just the sides / back of a black textured hard top

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
For someone who it budget conscious but really wants a painted freedom top, what do you all think about just painting the sides and back and leaving the top and freedom panels black? I don’t know how much difference that would make on price but I would think it would be significant considering the smaller surface area. If so, then just it’s a matter of looks.

I'll have a 1.5" leveler and 33s so it won't be the tallest thing on the road, but it'll be taller than most people can see while seated in another care or while walking by. But besides that, I think it would have an intentional look to it. Could be cool.

Here's a mock-up I found of this being done on a Wrangler, except this doesn't also paint the back window portion.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/black-top-with-painted-side-windows.22909/

FWIW, the Jeep in question is Gobi.. Thoughts?
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Alans17

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting! They painted around the top portion of the rear panel whereas I'd probably just paint the whole rear panel. And of course they went with white whereas I'd leave it black.

I'm starting to think this could work! I wonder what it would cost...

MrFahrenheit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FC Red Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Might be worthwhile finding out how much it would be just to get it vinyl wrapped too.

Sponsored

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
I'd imagine most of the cost of the paint job would be in masking off areas that aren't to be painted. Not sure how much it would save you; have you sought any quotes from body shops? Or are you going to try and paint it yourself?

Retro Bait

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 1917 Buick Tk
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Caterpillar technical communicator
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting! They painted around the top portion of the rear panel whereas I'd probably just paint the whole rear panel. And of course they went with white whereas I'd leave it black.

I'm starting to think this could work! I wonder what it would cost...
I don't think the cost would be that great even if you had a body shop prep and paint it. The hardest part is sanding the texture smooth but an orbital sander with 220 followed up with 360 did just fine.
I left the texture on the top part (the white on mine) because
A) the texture with the white didn't look bad
B) I didn't want to do all of that sanding because of time constraints

Just be sure you tape off where the color break is and protect it well to leave the texture in place. I think the black would look great with the Gobi. As small as an area that you are talking about you could damn near do a decent job with a spray can of mopar paint and some polyurethane clear.
Just color sand it when you are done with some 800 or 1000 grit paper and buff it out.

Shackleton

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, Camry
Slightly off topic but curious what the group thinks of a factory painted white hard top on a Gobi rig? I thought it might look pretty nice. Also I would love to see what the result is if Alans17 decides to do this

OP
OP
Alans17

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I thought about white on gobi. Probably looks really good if you have colored matched fenders. Otherwise, it’s probably pretty busy.

Sponsored

Shackleton

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, Camry
I thought about white on gobi. Probably looks really good if you have colored matched fenders. Otherwise, it’s probably pretty busy.
agreed. I’d love to see one if anyone has photoshop skills

OP
OP
Alans17

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I got a quote from Maaco today for under $200, but they’re doubtful they can completely knock down the texture without fraying the fiberglass. I’m really optimistic that I can do this affordable, but I need someone who can get the job done.

OP
OP
Alans17

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anybody have a recommended shop in the DFW area? Seems like most places around here are collision centers and only want to do insurance claims.

Retro Bait

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 1917 Buick Tk
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Caterpillar technical communicator
Vehicle Showcase
I got a quote from Maaco today for under $200, but they’re doubtful they can completely knock down the texture without fraying the fiberglass. I’m really optimistic that I can do this affordable, but I need someone who can get the job done.
The texture is in the paint the factory painted it with. The texture will knock down just fine without breaking through.

OP
OP
Alans17

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The texture is in the paint the factory painted it with. The texture will knock down just fine without breaking through.
I got a quote from a local Jeep shop that has done this sort of knock-down work before. Not as cheap as I’d hoped, but I’m willing to pay some extra for experience and expertise.
Sponsored