Sponsored

Passenger side front, odd bracket on frame.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
"Tire Deflector Bracket" according to parts list.
Technically it's known as a SORB bracket.
Found some neat details and it's nothing at all to do with rollover or the wheel going under the vehicle flipping or rolling it.

Zachanadandy

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical foreman
So the Mojave is the safest of all Jeeps?

If I am correct, and it seems, after thinking about it a while, that I've actually read or watched this somewhere, could be wrong, but anyway if it's there on the right side due to the huge difference an impact on the right side vs. left side would make, the risk of a wheel being busted loose, whatever - the FAD is the issue and reason for the right side. (you still have a lot more mass and stuff in the way on the left side, but consider the risks of a wheel being knocked loose and little else) - if you are impacted and that right wheel is knocked loose at the fad, the right front corner drops down. The wheel is no longer holding it up. Bust a fad and what's the first thing that happens?
Wheel goes UP, Jeep drops DOWN. Bracket works.

1701965302688.png

Interesting how non-engineers, those never involved in any real studies, not thinking past "it's got a lift and sits high" - not considering what can happen............. are making declarations of worth.
If Jeep got reports of what happened in certain scenarios and kicked it up to the engineers and the engineers said "we can mitigate this on 90% of all Jeep vehicles for $4.00/vehicle" - do we know this conversation never took place?
And face it, most Jeeps aren't lifted. i don't care what the hard core "I've got a 10" lift and run 50" tires" guys say - most don't lift and of those that do, the majority of those are likely 2" MOPAR lifts.
The internet makes it look like all Jeeps are lifted. Jeep is responsible for jeep vehicles as they are built and leave the factory. Not the tiny few with huge lifts (while in Florida the last couple of times, can't say we saw more than a couple lifted Jeeps out of the hundreds we saw down there)

So what's the big fuss about this bracket all about, anyway?
Now the bracket is keeping the axle from breaking at the FAD? If the impact is severe enough to push the axle that far back it is probably already broken if it's going to break at that point? Show us one piece of evidence that even 1 jeep as broken the wheel off at the FAD in an accident? The 392 you posted broke wheeling not in an accident, and had your beloved bracket that would magically prevent every possible problem in the passenger side? I heard it was installed to make the right side blinker fluid last longer and you don't need one on the left because you make more right turns...

Last edited:

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
Now the bracket is keeping the axle from breaking at the FAD? If the impact is severe enough to push the axle that far back it is probably already broken if it's going to break at that point? Show us one piece of evidence that even 1 jeep as broken the wheel off at the FAD in an accident? The 392 you posted broke wheeling not in an accident, and had your beloved bracket that would magically prevent every possible problem in the passenger side? I heard it was installed to make the right side blinker fluid last longer and you don't need one on the left because you make more right turns...
Accidents don't need to be that severe for an axle to break or tire to get pushed back. And even when they are, having something to help stop things from going too far to places they shouldn't be isn't a bad thing. I don't know why you keep arguing like this. @ShadowsPapa didn't say it prevents an axle from breaking. Read his post again. You changed his words so you could make a new argument yet again. This is getting old.

The bracket is there to help stop things from being pushed too far out of position in an effort to improve safety. That's it. End of story. Just an added safety feature to help mitigate an issue. Nothing 'magical' about it. Not so hard, is it?

You admit you're no engineer, but then talk like you are one. Which is it? You keep making these wild situations up in your head, twisting others words into hyperbole, and then use them as talking points. How about you show everyone else here your evidence if you know it's all bunk, rather that just making it up and moving the goalposts. Jeep added the bracket after testing showed it was effective. Show us why that's not true.

Last edited:

Zachanadandy

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical foreman
Accidents don't need to be that severe for an axle to get pushed back. And even when they are, having something to help stop it from going too far isn't a bad thing. I don't know why you keep arguing against it. You admit you're no engineer, but then talk like you are one. Which is it?

The bracket is there to stop the passenger axle from being pushed too far back in an effort to improve safety. That's it. End of story. Nothing 'magical' about it. Not so hard, is it?

You keep making these wild situations up in your head, twisting others words into hyperbole, and then use them as talking points. How about you show everyone else here your evidence rather that just making it up and moving the goalposts. This is getting old.
He pulled preventing breaking the fad out of his ass and you're asking about my evidence? That's what's getting old for the hundredth time, the bracket will deflect the tire outward at stock height as designed. I'm not and never have argued against it. Once your Jeep is lifted to the point that the center line of the tire is below the bracket it can't work. That's common sense. A 5 year old who has spent time bouncing balls knows that. Hit a round object on a surface above its center line and it deflects in the opposite direction which is down at that point. The crash test videos I posted clearly show your theory of added mass and/or the front driveshaft protecting the drivers side in the same fashion are bs. The tire clearly pushes straight back into the foot well and/or rolls the vehicle when it does. Anyone who watches the videos cab see that. On the lift side of things, side from basic physics, obviously I don't have crash test evidence as nobody crash tests lifted vehicles. On the drivers side you're still holding on to your theory that is proven wrong in videos. I'm all for a good debate, but don't put words in my mouth or claim I'm arguing against something I'm clearly not and don't throw out wild theories like fad break prevention with 0 evidence and then tell me I lack evidence to support my opinions.

Sponsored

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
You pulled preventing breaking the fad out of your ass and you're asking about my evidence?
Where did I say that? Oh, nowhere. Neither did he. If you read, he said the FAD was the issue, that's all.
I'm not and never have argued against it.
You've said this repeatedly in this thread. Both directly and indirectly. If you really don't think you have, then you should re-read and improve your communication skills.
Once your Jeep is lifted to the point that the center line of the tire is below the bracket it can't work.
Back to the lift argument again, eh? Lose steam and you run back? Let it go my friend.
The crash test videos I posted clearly show your theory of added mass and/or the front driveshaft protecting the drivers side in the same fashion are bs.
My theory? I've made no such theory. Twisting people's words again.
I'm all for a good debate, but don't put words in my mouth or claim I'm arguing against something I'm clearly not and don't throw out wild theories like fad break prevention with 0 evidence and then tell me I lack evidence to support my opinions.
I'm not. In fact, I'm quoting your own words each and every time. You are putting words in my mouth. Stop with the gaslighting.

You're not here for a "good debate", you're here for an argument. You're a troll at this point, constantly trying to prove themselves.

TheRealStreetcommander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
None of your business.
Well, the good news is that we know the bracket is intended to mitigate a perceived safety issue, and as far as I can tell, it doesn't cause harm by being there. I didn't see where anyone recommended it be removed. I'll keep mine until it becomes an obstacle to achieving a greater goal but I'll not subscribe any magical safety effect to it either.

I do believe it's more likely that Jeep installed it to create a specific geometry needed to pass a standardized testing criteria, rather than out of the goodness of their hearts. I don't believe the Jeep collision protection and compliance team has any directive to preserve life or limit injury --their directive is to create and document a product which complies with the published requirements of the authorities have jurisdiction from which the product will be examined.

To believe that the engineers "know what they are doing" is dangerously apathetic. Yes, they are smart and they know how to engineer systems to meet design criteria. Believing that the design criteria has the ability to create a safer outcome in the real world is the mistake. It has zero to do with greater outcomes and everything to do with bureaucrats steeped in academia exercising authority over a populace they genuinely loath and believe are too stupid to take care of themselves.

I'm not sure why everyone is trying to mob assault and word-play Zachanadandy. We should be curious enough to explore ALL of the options. Then let everyone make their own informed decisions.

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
HEY EVERYONE!!!! Look who has a problem with reading comprehension!
.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2015%2F07%2Fgiphy-29.gif

BTW - This is how all your "defensive" posts sound like to the rest of us. Maybe you should step away for awhile.

I think we're still waiting on you to prove your claim that the worthless piece of steel won't help lifted Gladiators. Asking for refuting evidence from diametrically-opposed viewpoints as a defensive mechanism is Internet Troll 101 and pretty pathetic.

The lack of evidence does not prove a position.

Zachanadandy

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical foreman
Where did I say that? Oh, nowhere. Neither did he. If you read, he said the FAD was the issue, that's
He said the FAD was the issue, the wheel detaching the risk, and the reason the bracket is on the right side, but he didn't mean that the bracket was their in some way because of the FAD? This is like the damn twilight zone, he said it but didn't mean it? The bracket exists because of the FAD but not? A thousand times I've said the bracket should deflect the tire, but I'm arguing against it because it logically won't work once lifted past a certain point? Videos showing the tire clearly leaving the driver crippled aren't proof that we'd be better off if something deflected that tire like, I don't know, a tire deflector bracket?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Show me where I said or implied that the bracket prevented breaking of the FAD.
Quote, please.

I said it's there because there is an inherent risk in the type of collision being tested by the IIHS - the FAD can break, plus once that wheel is broken loose and free, there's nothing else there to protect the lower half of the passenger like there is on the left side. There's a lot of stuff over there, not on the right.

On the right side, its a different animal - there's only the control arms holding the axle.
There's nothing else there. There's no mass to be any sort of barrier on the right like there is on the left.

SORB bracket. Side impact Offset Rigid Barrier bracket. It's for that testing.

That bracket is also bolted to the frame in interesting ways, for all we know, there's a connection there as well, so I'd not really dismiss it as having no effect on any given vehicle.
Unless you are an engineer, you simply don't know.

I normally freely share my research and any documents I've found, supporting evidence, but in this case, it's a whole other animal - i've done all of the work, all of the real thinking, dug up the files and criteria used in the testing this addresses, so no, sorry, it's like asking a doctor for free advice.
3 dozen pages of documentation on the IIHS testing, accident studies, it's crazy.

Sponsored

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
And that's wrong, too, because of the other stuff over there - front driveshaft, pinion and so on.
It's fine when hit on the left, but wasn't on the right.
Have you watched all of the videos?

When lifted, the tire going under isn't as likely to wedge under - there's more space.
If the Jeep is that high, there's space for the tire without lifting or rolling.

Ya'll aren't using good logic...... again.
I said the same shit Bill, but he didn't like my opinion. Come to a forum to discuss a topic or item and then alienate everyone's opinion. Ok, have fun buddy

Guess we'll sit back with popcorn and see how much more rage he can have about the bracket

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
Again, my initial post and every post since including spelling it out to YOU, stated that stock it serves a purpose (initial post, many since, and video proof that your driveshaft idea didn't work and it should be installed on both sides), lifted not only will it not work as designed but could actually increase the odds of a rollover. You're literally quoting my posts that clearly state that and then arguing exactly what I said like you're correcting me? You claimed I said it serves no purpose when I clearly said it serves no purpose on my LIFTED truck. You claimed the drivers side didn't need it because the collapsible driveshaft serves the purpose, logic and video proof shows otherwise. You want to leave the engineering to the engineers, which we all do stock. Once you start modifying your rig it's time to think for yourself. The lift itself increases the likelihood of a rollover, but decreases the odds of the tire pushing into the passenger compartment. The location of the bracket makes it useless for its intended purpose ONCE LIFTED. It very well could cause a rollover at that point. No that's not the intent, I never said it was. It's not engineered for a lifted vehicle. Nothing I've stated was opinion, implied the engineers were wrong, or that the bracket wouldn't help STOCK. You're the only one debating that with yourself.
Not a fan of paragraphs because of your stellar reading comprehension? Asking for a friend

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
I said the same shit Bill, but he didn't like my opinion. Come to a forum to discuss a topic or item and then alienate everyone's opinion. Ok, have fun buddy

Guess we'll sit back with popcorn and see how much more rage he can have about the bracket
What bracket?

:LOL:

Zachanadandy

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical foreman
Show me where I said or implied that the bracket prevented breaking of the FAD.
Quote, please.

I said it's there because there is an inherent risk in the type of collision being tested by the IIHS - the FAD can break, plus once that wheel is broken loose and free, there's nothing else there to protect the lower half of the passenger like there is on the left side. There's a lot of stuff over there, not on the right.

On the right side, its a different animal - there's only the control arms holding the axle.
There's nothing else there. There's no mass to be any sort of barrier on the right like there is on the left.

SORB bracket. Side impact Offset Rigid Barrier bracket. It's for that testing.

That bracket is also bolted to the frame in interesting ways, for all we know, there's a connection there as well, so I'd not really dismiss it as having no effect on any given vehicle.
Unless you are an engineer, you simply don't know.

I normally freely share my research and any documents I've found, supporting evidence, but in this case, it's a whole other animal - i've done all of the work, all of the real thinking, dug up the files and criteria used in the testing this addresses, so no, sorry, it's like asking a doctor for free advice.
3 dozen pages of documentation on the IIHS testing, accident studies, it's crazy.
The tire breaking loose isn't the issue, the tire being forced through the floor board is. That is clearly happening on the drivers side in both videos I posted. It was an issue on the rams as well. The bracket helps, the diff clearly didn't. It's not a fad issue period. The tire is clearly still attached as the driver in the crash test is now shopping for wheel chairs.
Sponsored