Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD
Oh and on the the Rusty’s rears. When I put mine on, I was on level ground and I only removed the front lower control arm bolt. I held up the arm via a pry bar, aligned the front bolt and rotated the bracket up from there. I was able to get a wrench in and get the nut/bolt snug before I took out the pry bar and fished up. I guess I was lucky.
Sponsored

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Oh and on the the Rusty’s rears. When I put mine on, I was on level ground and I only removed the front lower control arm bolt. I held up the arm via a pry bar, aligned the front bolt and rotated the bracket up from there. I was able to get a wrench in and get the nut/bolt snug before I took out the pry bar and fished up. I guess I was lucky.
About the same as my install. Level ground. Pull the bolt out. I used a screwdriver to hold the front nut in place. A box end wrench wouldn't fit because of some part of the frame was in the way. Installed the front bolt. Swing the skid toward the rear. Install the control arm bolt. Then the rear upper bolt and nut.

I had issues with the RockHard rear lower control arm axle skid plates on both sides. My JTRD isn't lifted. So the angle of the control arm is almost flat. When I when to install them. Found out that the front of the skid was hitting the control arm. Couldn't line up the bolt holes to push the bolt through. I ended up cutting the tab in the rear of the skid off to give me the clearance I needed. Once I did that. They fit.

IMG_3798.JPG

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Today, I ordered the Rock Hard skid plates for the front lower control arms frame mount. Also ordered their FAD skid plate too.

Sponsored

Divided_Wood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Rubicon EcoDiesel
For anyone reading this worrying about the fit of Rusty's skids, I installed mine today in about 15 minutes.

I actually reached out to them because with a "dry fit" I was 100% convinced they weren't going to fit. (Pic below... the control arm bolt is right under the big hole at center. Yes, I suck at using spray paint.) They replied back and said the holes are big to allow for variability between frames. I put them on this morning and sure enough, they went right on.

Jeep Gladiator Rusty's vs Rock Hard - frame side rear control arm skids IMG_3597
Jeep Gladiator Rusty's vs Rock Hard - frame side rear control arm skids IMG_3607

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver

Sponsored

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
Oh...and typical...I'm ordering them because I banged the passenger up hard this past weekend.

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
My Rock Hard passenger side doesn't go on. Nice. Probably have to cut about 1cm off the of the skid.

KQL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking for gladiator
My Rock Hard passenger side doesn't go on. Nice. Probably have to cut about 1cm off the of the skid.
Sorry to hear brother.

For others that chose Rusty’s, I was doing the install on my own and didn’t want to take any chances on the control arms shifting when I removed the bolt. I stopped by the local hardware store and picked up a generic 4 inch bolt the same diameter as the control arm bolt. After I removed the nut, I used my generic bolt to tap the control arm bolt out from the other side guaranteeing no shift in the arms. Passenger side bolt pushed out almost by hand. Drivers was a bit tight, so likely would have shifted if my stand-in bolt wasn’t there.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Which piece?
Sponsored