Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
A bit over 10 years ago, just got the AC working after doing the engine swap. This was before I parked it for a year to prep and paint it.
The 4.0 still sounds about the same. This is with a Comp xtreme 4x4 cam, aluminum roller rocker arms, bumping up compression by shaving the head.
And - all new lifters and because of the head shaving and different rocker arms, I had to one at a time check the lifter preload and shim rockers to get preload right and center the rockers on the valve stems. So I know the valve train geometry is perfect.
(ignore that crap air filter - I used that just to get by until I grabbed a much better setup from a pick and pull and re-routed a lot of hoses and moved things around in the engine bay)

And yet with all of that work - it's not exactly quiet. Just how some things are. Frankly, I'm not sure Jeep changed anything regarding engine sounds 4.0 to 3.6.

Sponsored

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
The HLAs in my GT500 made a racket on startup. SVT said 'your engine is on the loose side but still in tolerance'.

Lol

ATL_Rubi

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Caretaker to various super cars
Occupation
Sales
Heading over this afternoon for the RRT, I'll be sure to report any driving changes if felt and any codes/paperwork I receive.

ATL_Rubi

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales
Heading over this afternoon for the RRT, I'll be sure to report any driving changes if felt and any codes/paperwork I receive.
Made it to the dealer, 1 hour of work in the express lane. RRT update to the PCM. no specifics yet on what is going to be changed.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Made it to the dealer, 1 hour of work in the express lane. RRT update to the PCM. no specifics yet on what is going to be changed.
This is almost worse than who shot JR
Don't keep us in suspense.

Sponsored

ATL_Rubi

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales
This is almost worse than who shot JR
Don't keep us in suspense.
Well, no concrete news on what was changed.

Few notes, rep was unsure what was changed and said that they mostly don’t get told. Jeep drives relatively the same, maybe holds gears 1-3 longer but could be just me searching for something.

My jeep is listed at a “23 dodge truck/gladiator) no mention of jeep.

Of further note, after looking up the two part numbers, both return charge air sensors.

https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/charge-air-temp-sensor-cherokee-kl-05149279ac

Believe it is likely safe to assume this had nothing to do with anything related to the Cam/Lash adjusters.

Jeep Gladiator Pentastar 3.6 Recall On Lash Adjusters, Allegedly IMG_4691

Last edited:
OP
OP

TheRealStreetcommander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
None of your business.
Yes the Grand Cherokee 3.6 is built at trenton engine in Michigan and has the PS head that is called the classic head. The JT head built in Mexico has the new head called the PSU
My understanding is that all pentastar Grand Cherokees built from model year 2016 to present have the PSU VVL heads (and other PSU parts), irrespective of where they were manufactured. Stated differently, no Grand Cherokee’s newer than 2016 have non PSU VVL pentastars.

Have you seen differently?

Charles 236

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Jeep technician
My understanding is that all pentastar Grand Cherokees built from model year 2016 to present have the PSU VVL heads (and other PSU parts), irrespective of where they were manufactured. Stated differently, no Grand Cherokee’s newer than 2016 have non PSU VVL pentastars.

Have you seen differently?
Your understanding is correct. There are currently two different Pentastar engines being produced, the original Pentastar, and the Pentastar upgrade with VVL. When the Charger, Challenger and 300 end production, there will be no vehicle platforms left that use the original Pentastar engines, so they will be discontinued.
Sponsored