First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
the leaf is a great budget option - range just too short for most but I know a few folks leaf shopping right now. UTV would be fun!! you need a toy 🧸:)
We probably "need" a second vehicle for 10-30 miles per month. If that. So the Leaf could sit on a 120v charge all the time and be fine. The UTV would be a nice toy, and I feel like off-roading is in my blood, like motorcycling is. I can't be without a motorcycle.

Here's my build info. I didn't actually get a pushed notice from anyone. I tried putting the truck on Turo to rent it out, since I was never using it. They told me I couldn't list it because it had an open recall. That's when I decided to just sell it.

Jeep Gladiator Pentastar V6 idle 1638202875511
Sponsored

In3briatedPanda

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Freedom Edition Max Tow
Occupation
Automotive
same rough idle at cold start ups, but its only maybe every tenth start up. I can feel it 'missing' in the steering wheel and while sitting in the front seat. Usually stops after two minutes or so. No CEL, no issues for me.

Garage kept and level ground.

edit: 1786 miles on odometer.

DailyMoparGuy

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 3.6L
Occupation
Engineer
I’ve got the 3.6L rough idles as well. For me, it doesn’t seem to matter if it’s running warm or cold. It’s not bad enough for me to take it in, but enough for me to notice. I’ve had no misfire codes show up or any other related issues though. My old 5.7L Charger idled rough too sometimes but I abused the shit out of that thing lol.

14k miles, January 2021 Build

jmdwifi

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Wireless Network engineer, Drummer of WOLF LEGION
Vehicle Showcase
I feel lucky. I can feel mine idle a little when I first start it. Many times at a light, I thought I didn't hit the disable auto start stop button. So smooth feels like it's off.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I feel lucky. I can feel mine idle a little when I first start it. Many times at a light, I thought I didn't hit the disable auto start stop button. So smooth feels like it's off.
That's been "an issue" with mine - it runs so smooth that if I have the radio on at all and don't hear the engine I have more than once started to get out of the truck and realized I never shut it off - the clue - the radio keeps playing and I look and see the cluster still showing the normal display.
Only with AC on do I occasionally feel a very slight "roughness" - most likely the load of the AC compressor at idle. But it's still smoother than some vehicles normally run without AC on so it's just fine.

Sponsored

JTsGarage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
I've been watching threads related to the 3.6 Pentastar rough idling for a while. I've experienced rough idling after doing a remote start or after the ESS feature kicks the engine back on. About 24k miles on my '20 JT Gladiator now. The issue never really bothered me but I kept an eye on it because this quirk is unlike the two previous 3.6 V6s I've owned on an '18 Grand Cherokee and '13 JKU Wrangler. Both were smooth as silk. Recently, I received the emissions recall Y68 related to engine misfires. I took my truck in yesterday for the software update and I swear the engine idles so much smoother now. No rough idle at all. Maybe just a fluke? I have no idea why an emissions related software update would resolve that, but I know computers control damn near everything in modern vehicles.

ElDirector

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Even my daughter has commented that she can feel my Jeep running ('21 Rubi Gladiator) but mom's doesn't do that ('17 JKU). Still smoother than my diesel truck, so I haven't worried about it.

I'll have to check on that recall. Gone are the days where bugs were only on the windshield, not in your engine management software.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Must be for most all JT. Mine has always idled rough after I sit for a bit say I might be waiting on my daughter to come out of band practice or something. Its fine for about 10 minutes then it starts to idle rough. I normally shut it off if I know I am going to be someplace but occasionally will not. I had the same engine in one of my Ram 1500's and it never did that no matter how long it sat.

mr_bots

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Recently, I received the emissions recall Y68 related to engine misfires. I took my truck in yesterday for the software update and I swear the engine idles so much smoother now. No rough idle at all. Maybe just a fluke? I have no idea why an emissions related software update would resolve that, but I know computers control damn near everything in modern vehicles.
That's good to hear. I haven't scheduled mine yet but was hoping that would be the case. Either that or now it'd actually throw a code when it gets rough since it feels like it's misfiring. My guess is that it fixes it because it's a full update to the engine computer with the latest (and improved) calibrations and isn't just a fix to let the check engine light come on with a misfire.

JTsGarage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
That's good to hear. I haven't scheduled mine yet but was hoping that would be the case. Either that or now it'd actually throw a code when it gets rough since it feels like it's misfiring. My guess is that it fixes it because it's a full update to the engine computer with the latest (and improved) calibrations and isn't just a fix to let the check engine light come on with a misfire.
I’m glad a fix (fingers crossed) was found for it. The rough idle was never a huge nuisance but definitely an annoyance on a new vehicle, especially since the other Pentastars I’ve had experience with were flawless. Hope others get the same result!

Sponsored

Gelo

First Name
Gelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude
Occupation
Accountant
Hi all, I just wanted to share what I'm currently experiencing related to this. I bought my 2021 JTHA on December 18, 2020. I took it in for an oil change on January 8, 2022 with 2,000 miles on the odometer. Dealer tech said there's "recall" on my truck regarding the rough running engine. Since they don't have time to do the recall, they told me to reschedule. The tech said that it is okay to drive the truck. I dropped off the truck on January 29th and got a call at 2pm from the tech saying that it will take another day to finish it. I got a call this morning (1/31) at 10am saying that the truck is not yet fixed because it needed three parts and they only have two out of the three so they told me that I can pick up the truck and go back three days when the part has arrived. Since I have a spare car, I told them that I'll just pick it up when it is done. The work order says "RRT 1 (RRT 21-086 2021 JLJT 3.6 Cel and Rough Running Engine **). I'm a first Jeep owner and love the driving it. My oldest daughter, who is 7, always asks me to drive her to school in it. I hope this engine issue doesn't haunt me in the long run since I plan on keeping it for a very long time.

JTsGarage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Hi all, I just wanted to share what I'm currently experiencing related to this. I bought my 2021 JTHA on December 18, 2020. I took it in for an oil change on January 8, 2022 with 2,000 miles on the odometer. Dealer tech said there's "recall" on my truck regarding the rough running engine. Since they don't have time to do the recall, they told me to reschedule. The tech said that it is okay to drive the truck. I dropped off the truck on January 29th and got a call at 2pm from the tech saying that it will take another day to finish it. I got a call this morning (1/31) at 10am saying that the truck is not yet fixed because it needed three parts and they only have two out of the three so they told me that I can pick up the truck and go back three days when the part has arrived. Since I have a spare car, I told them that I'll just pick it up when it is done. The work order says "RRT 1 (RRT 21-086 2021 JLJT 3.6 Cel and Rough Running Engine **). I'm a first Jeep owner and love the driving it. My oldest daughter, who is 7, always asks me to drive her to school in it. I hope this engine issue doesn't haunt me in the long run since I plan on keeping it for a very long time.
It's typical for a dealer to check for an open RRT, or Rapid Response Transmittal, when a vehicle comes in for service. It's not quite at the level of a recall but it's above a TSB. I am not familiar with the specific one you mention but there have been some rough idling issues with the 3.6 Pentastar. I personally had recall Y68 performed recently and it was just a software update to the PCM. It made a night and day difference - no more rough idling for me. Software and electronic gremlins aside, the 3.6 Pentastar is a very solid engine with a track record of reliability. I wouldn't worry too much about its longevity. Let the dealer take care of it under warranty.

DobaMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Overland, 23 JL Sahara 4xe
I think my JT and JL idle a bit rougher than the same Pentastar 3.6 I've had in several other vehicles, including JKs.
AT around 35k miles, the JL Wrangler developed a misfire and check engine light. Dealer had to replace one spark plug and coil for it.

Last edited:

Gelo

First Name
Gelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude
Occupation
Accountant
It's typical for a dealer to check for an open RRT, or Rapid Response Transmittal, when a vehicle comes in for service. It's not quite at the level of a recall but it's above a TSB. I am not familiar with the specific one you mention but there have been some rough idling issues with the 3.6 Pentastar. I personally had recall Y68 performed recently and it was just a software update to the PCM. It made a night and day difference - no more rough idling for me. Software and electronic gremlins aside, the 3.6 Pentastar is a very solid engine with a track record of reliability. I wouldn't worry too much about its longevity. Let the dealer take care of it under warranty.
I appreciate the response and agree to let the dealer take care of the issue. The JT is still at the dealer. I am hoping to call today. My daughter misses the "JeepJeep." Yeah, I miss the JT too. :)

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
October 2020 - took my truck in for WAVE service/tire rotation. They plugged in their OBD device, and the service writer looked on his tablet and said "it looks like your VIN comes up for a recall for PCM flash, should we do it"? I said yes - do it.
It was all automatic, they didn't look up anything, it popped up seconds after he pulled up my vehicle on his tablet after connecting his OBD interface.

That was October 2020 - possible this is the same one. I never did have any misfire or rough running, mine is always very smooth and I never get a MIL for anything, either before or after that date. I bought the truck November 2019 - it was built 11/05/2019. The RRT was done 10/2020

Jeep Gladiator Pentastar V6 idle my-pcm-dealer-update
Sponsored