Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
@Jeeperjamie I'm responding to the bolded and italicized comment in your post. Absolutely not trying to be disrespectful or start a fight. Please read and consider my comments and respond to what I present.

Sorry bro but guys like you, who think you understand how things are supposed to work on the highway, are the ones who drive me crazy and have me shaking my head in wonderment when they go batshit crazy because I use the open lane when they [unwisely in my mind] are queuing up 2 miles earlier because of a lane closed ahead sign. These signs don't say line up now--they're clearly telling you in two miles be prepared to allow traffic to merge in from the lane being closed.

The highway department has to deal with higher speeds and is trying to keep the speed up---which is why they put the signs miles back---they give multiple notices [because so many drivers don't pay any attention to anything] that there are going to be reduced lane options ahead. The reduction itself is a bit away from the actual work. So when very well meaning and courteous drivers such as yourself falsely line up miles earlier than when you need to, the traffic especially on a highway, gets backed up and slowed down miles before it should----with a totally open lane right beside them.

I'm not "forcing my way over", I'm just merging where the highway department asks me to. While I understand the frustration of guys like you--who have now [voluntarily whether you believe it or not] wasted 10 or more minutes in line---your anger is definitely misplaced.
I guess there are two ways to look at that sign from your point or mine. It says lane closed, it doesn't say be prepared to let a bunch of fools over who decide they want to ride the lane to the end. I could see it from your point if traffic isn't backed up and free flowing but once it gets backed up, it's time to get over when you see the sign. If traffic's backup then your forcing your way over because you've made the choice to stay in the lane that is closed.
Sponsored

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Some states have requested that people do this. It's called zipper merging and supposedly is better for congestion and speeds highways up. However I don't do it because people in my area aren't on board and most won't let you in. If this is what the highway department wants us to do, it sure would be helpful if they'd just put up sings saying so.
Yep that is what happens all the time. People won't let you in as you get closer and then the window for merging at speed is gone thus a major backup and then you have people who chose not to merge when they could and keep speed normal trying to force their way in.

Higher_Ground

First Name
J. T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
I mean, there is an argument to both sides. In the grand scheme of things, when it comes to traffic, "efficient" =/= "fair".

It's more efficient for people to leave space and alternate merge. At that point, there is no stopping what so ever even as you near 100% capacity since everyone just slows down. Think about it, all you need is one extra car length and everyone can merge like a school of fish.

Of course that doesn't happen: people tailgate one another, some people brake excessively, and others aggressively merge without warning.

The problem as pointed about before is speed differential. On the interstate people go from 70 to 10 mph as they approach a work zone when it's congested. When you're leaving a ball game, the speeds are typically ~15-30 mph and everyone utilizes the entire lane up until the merge point. At least in theory.

One thing I do that probably annoys others is coast when I'm in congestion. Why bother accelerating to keep up with the next car if you're going to have to slow down again? I use my brakes as infrequently as possible and can't stand it if someone is in front of me jamming on them every other second.

ryan141

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 TJ, 2021 Grand Limited, 2021 Mohave
Occupation
Engineer
I think it is also the people that merge 2 miles before the lane closure that prevent the people that follow the rules from merging at the planned merge location. Just my opinion.

Sponsored

KX L

First Name
KX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CVO Street Glide; 2022 JT Mojave with 6MT
Occupation
Retired
As expected some agree with me and some don't. I'm just thankful my comment caused each of you to think about how you see the issue and no one being a dick about it. Love this forum :jk:

DirtySaylor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Dash cam. Get one that records inside and out. People chill out real fast when they see you have a dash cam.
Sponsored