First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Sales Management
Got it! Here's a picture of the set up for the arm...

ipad.jpeg

I sort of stumbled into it using bits and pieces I had but it works well. Here's a list of the components...
It all went together great except that the Ram provided bolts for the swivel mount where a touch long and ended up hitting the back of the iPad. I had to find other hardware and switched the bolts to go the other way.
You are awesome! Thanks so much for the links and the picture from the other side. I was wondering how it mounted so low. LOL

The iPad bracket will be delivered on Tuesday, and I will order this other stuff now.

thanks again!! Keep posting more great stuff! Also interested in hearing about your trip and how that plays out!
Sponsored

OP
OP
-miko-

-miko-

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo Wagon, Tundra, Nissan NV, '21 Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Designer
I had a fantastic weekend in the mountains with my setup and over all it did great. The navigation setup was really nice and only had to make some adjustments for taking trail videos. Sleeping in the truck worked well, especially with lows in the lower 30s. Much more comfortable than being on the ground! Speaking of videos and photos, here's some highlights.

Jeep Gladiator Plain Jane, the family truckster IMG_6076

Jeep Gladiator Plain Jane, the family truckster IMG_6085

Jeep Gladiator Plain Jane, the family truckster IMG_6088

This approach (and decent the next morning) for Scales campsite was the roughest for the trip but was a ton of fun...

Jeep Gladiator Plain Jane, the family truckster IMG_6108

Jeep Gladiator Plain Jane, the family truckster IMG_6109

Jeep Gladiator Plain Jane, the family truckster IMG_6113

And on the way home we stumbled on some stunning gravel back roads...

Overall a super fun, successful, and restorative trip!

BabblingBafoon

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales Management
I had a fantastic weekend in the mountains with my setup and over all it did great. The navigation setup was really nice and only had to make some adjustments for taking trail videos. Sleeping in the truck worked well, especially with lows in the lower 30s. Much more comfortable than being on the ground! Speaking of videos and photos, here's some highlights.

This approach (and decent the next morning) for Scales campsite was the roughest for the trip but was a ton of fun...

And on the way home we stumbled on some stunning gravel back roads...

Overall a super fun, successful, and restorative trip!
Sounds awesome! Thanks for sharing with pics and vidz.

What did you use to take the videos?

OP
OP
-miko-

-miko-

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Designer
What did you use to take the videos?
Just my iPhone with the 67 Design mount up above the dash. It's crazy how much the image stabilization made it look like it was on a gimbal. Turned out much better than I expected.

BabblingBafoon

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales Management
Just my iPhone with the 67 Design mount up above the dash. It's crazy how much the image stabilization made it look like it was on a gimbal. Turned out much better than I expected.
That’s crazy! I was wondering if that’s what you did. It definitely looked great!

Sponsored

OP
OP
-miko-

-miko-

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Designer
I finally got the truck into ReJeep, the local Jeep experts, to have the Rubicon shocks and springs installed along with a Teraflex leveling kit. Overall I got 2 1/4” up front and 3/4” in the rear. As part of the install they did an alignment to their specs - which is a good bit less toe in then the factory setting. The truck tracks much better, reacting less to the road surface. Very happy with the look and the function.

Their shop truck is beast - 3 1/2” lift on 40s. He was just finishing up regearing too. Makes mine look a bit wimpy 😂.

Jeep Gladiator Plain Jane, the family truckster 668B452F-D71E-42F9-8FE7-39BD530F8662

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
Your cart idea for the doors and top is GENIUS. I will be building one this summer. thank you!

BabblingBafoon

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales Management
I finally got the truck into ReJeep, the local Jeep experts, to have the Rubicon shocks and springs installed along with a Teraflex leveling kit. Overall I got 2 1/4” up front and 3/4” in the rear. As part of the install they did an alignment to their specs - which is a good bit less toe in then the factory setting. The truck tracks much better, reacting less to the road surface. Very happy with the look and the function.

Their shop truck is beast - 3 1/2” lift on 40s. He was just finishing up regearing too. Makes mine look a bit wimpy 😂.

Jeep Gladiator Plain Jane, the family truckster 668B452F-D71E-42F9-8FE7-39BD530F8662
I didn’t see a post from you on wheels and tires… did you get something? Those don’t look stock.

We just got my wife new wheels and 35” BFG KO2s and I took her stock 2019 Moab wheels with the BFG KM2s (I think that is their number… they are mudders). I still need to post in my build thread. I also got the iPad mount in, just like yours, and have some other goodies that I still need to install.

OP
OP
-miko-

-miko-

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Designer
I didn’t see a post from you on wheels and tires… did you get something? Those don’t look stock.

We just got my wife new wheels and 35” BFG KO2s and I took her stock 2019 Moab wheels with the BFG KM2s (I think that is their number… they are mudders). I still need to post in my build thread. I also got the iPad mount in, just like yours, and have some other goodies that I still need to install.
Good catch. Totally forgot to mention the new tires I got prior to the trip. Nitro Ridge Grapplers in 285/75r17. I really like the KM2s and KM3s but thought the Ridge Grapplers where a better compromise for now. I do like them so far.

OP
OP
-miko-

-miko-

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Designer
First 70+ degree day in a looooong time and the doors off lead to a dramatic increase in smiles/gallon.

Jeep Gladiator Plain Jane, the family truckster doorsOff

Sponsored

BabblingBafoon

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales Management
First 70+ degree day in a looooong time and the doors off lead to a dramatic increase in smiles/gallon.

Jeep Gladiator Plain Jane, the family truckster driving.MOV

Awesome stuff! Thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
-miko-

-miko-

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Designer
Early this summer, after much family discussion and consideration, I decided to trade in my manual Gladiator. Over the last year I just had a too many instances where the manual caused an issue with the family and frankly while it was nice, the Gladiator isn't really the vehicle that I want to row gears on. One goal for it has been to be a relaxing, cruise around town vehicle and with the manual that wasn't happening. And lesson learned - I want the manual vehicle in my stable to be a secondary vehicle, not a primary one.

So back in May I ordered essentially the same truck with an automatic and Max Tow. Fast forward to mid-August and it finally was built and delivered. With used car prices being crazy and some great discounts from Tri-City Jeep in NC, I was able to upgrade to the auto/Max Tow package and auxiliary switches for very little out of pocket.

I gave 1.0 a final bath. I really had it set up well and was a little sad...

Jeep Gladiator Plain Jane, the family truckster IMG_6624

And picked up 2.0...

Jeep Gladiator Plain Jane, the family truckster IMG_6625

Overall I've been really happy with the switch. Within a day my 16 year old permit driver was out driving me around and sharing in the fun of a doorless Jeep in summer. Well worth the effort - which was actually pretty low. Travis at Tri-City was so easy to work with.

Since I made the switch to 2.0, I've moved over many of the mods:
  • 67 Designs phone mount
  • Running the USB cord for the phone from the center console to the dash
  • iDrive throttle control (so much more impactful with the auto)
  • CSM side mirrors
  • Removing many of the badges and blacking out those that weren't removed
  • Lock box in the bed with the spare entry key
  • Steel front skid plate
  • Mopar rock rails
And just this week I had another Teraflex leveling kit installed by Greg at ReJeep. He had a twill soft top for sale from his shop Gladiator which I splurged on. It's a bit of a consolation for giving up the manual. So now just need some time to get that on and figure out some storage for the hard top and Freedom panels.

OP
OP
-miko-

-miko-

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Designer
After staring at and tripping over the soft top in the garage for months, I figured it was time to get the top on while we still had enough warm weather to enjoy it. So a month or so ago I rigged up the top hoist in the garage and removed the hard top. Overall getting the new top on was pretty easy. We quickly had it pulled back and enjoyed a ride on a stunning fall day. Jump ahead to this past weekend and the hard top went back on for the winter.

It's been interesting having both. I do like the soft top look and love the ability to drop it back on a moments notice. And my favorite configuration for the truck is safari mode - doors and rear window off but soft top in place. I will definitely be running that next summer as much as possible.

Jeep Gladiator Plain Jane, the family truckster softtop1

Jeep Gladiator Plain Jane, the family truckster softtop2

But the soft top is loud - like hard to have a conversation at highway speeds loud and that's with the stock Dueller AT tires. I can't imagine how much road noise would come through from a set of Ridge Grapplers or KM3s. Any longer trip is much more pleasurable with the hard top back on. I'll be curious to see how I use them both. The soft top brings some big pleasure and but also some pain. We'll see if it's worth it over time.

Jeep Gladiator Plain Jane, the family truckster softtop3

And all these shots make me want some better tires on 2.0. These ATs are just a little too pedestrian. I had Ridge Grapplers on 1.0 but the road noise was a bit too high. I'm thinking Falken Wildpeak AT3s for some decent trail performance but some nicer, quieter road manners. Oh and a bumper... and a bed cap... and some new shocks. Sigh.

OP
OP
-miko-

-miko-

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Designer
I've got a few things to catch up on. There's been so much going on that there's been little time to post. Let's get to it...

First, about a month ago I had a chance to do my first day of real trail riding at Uwharrie National Forest. Turns out I have a few coworker who like to run trails and are always looking to head out. One has a ZR2 and the other a nicely built JK. We picked a day to all take off and made plans to meet at the trail.

To prep for the trip I pick up a set of Rubicon take-off rims and Falcon Wildpeaks AT3s from a member. They where a much needed tire upgrade - I can't imagine how the Duellers would have done on the trail. There's just not that much offroad tread on them. I do really like the Wildpeaks - much better than the Nitto Trial Grapplers I had on 1.0 of the truck. The road noise from these is much more livable.

Jeep Gladiator Plain Jane, the family truckster IMG_6834

As for the trip it self, it was such a blast. My coworkers where helpful and patient with this noob. I thought I'd like it (and I definitely did!) but it was deeply satisfying. Something about solving each obstacle on the trail pleased my puzzle solving brain and gave me great pleasure.

Jeep Gladiator Plain Jane, the family truckster IMG_6850

Jeep Gladiator Plain Jane, the family truckster IMG_6852

Jeep Gladiator Plain Jane, the family truckster IMG_6854

I will definitely do more trail riding. My son and I signed up for a Jeep Adventure Academy next spring. We're already counting the days!

Oh and my souvenir from the trip was a stone to the windshield the left a loverly crack that quickly grew from 4" to over a foot long. Guess I'll be getting the first of many replacement windshields. The funny thing is it didn't even happen on the trail. Just cruising on the highway in the morning. Oh well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
-miko-

-miko-

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Designer
The second big update is that I finally got the wheel and tire setup that I've been dreaming about. My dream has been to have old school steel wheels on the truck with a decent offroad tire. The Wildpeaks fill the tire need so all I needed was the rims. When I picked up the Rubicon takeoffs, he included a full size spare. With my spare and his, I now had 2 of the 5 needed wheels. I ordered the 3 steel rims from @AllMoparParts.com (who also discounted the shipping) than just had to wait until they were finally in stock.

They finally came a week or so ago and it was off to the tire shop. It was nice to have the Rubicon rims but they're just not my style.

Jeep Gladiator Plain Jane, the family truckster IMG_6913

This is much more like it. I really dig this setup. After they were put on someone said the truck looked like it could drive across Africa. It just has this really nice utilitarian, unassuming, functional look to it. I love it.

Jeep Gladiator Plain Jane, the family truckster IMG_6917

Jeep Gladiator Plain Jane, the family truckster IMG_6934

Jeep Gladiator Plain Jane, the family truckster IMG_6932

After I spent the morning at the tire shop getting that sorted, it was off to the glass company to replace the broken windshield. By the time I got home it was like having a new truck!
Sponsored