Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo Wagon, Tundra, Nissan NV, '21 Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Designer
After eyeing the Gladiator since it was first released, all the parts finally fell into place and I know have mine. I had been wrestling with what my next vehicle should be and eventually settled on a Base manual transmission Gladiator because it checked off a lot of my needs and wants:

1) A vehicle to bring a little fun and joy
I've got a large family (6 kids ranging from 17 to 8) and I'm always seeking ways to bring a little joy to the day to day. I have an old Toyota Land Cruiser that I've been trying to make fit this role but it's just not working. It's too rough and trail oriented. The way it's built It's really a glorified tractor (not power steering, no power brakes, super low transmission with a top speed of 50 or so). The Gladiator with the doors and roof off is so much fun and is so livable day to day. Plus ABS and airbags are a bonus.

2) An engaging driving experience
I've always loved manual cars and wanted to have at least one vehicle in our fleet that I could row through the gears on a back country road. The Gladiator is so much lighter and more nimble than any other car we have. Again it's not perfect but it made me smile during the test drive and reminded me why it's so much fun to feather a clutch, drop a gear and pull through a corner. I also want my kids to have the option to learn if they'd like.

3) A decent commuter
It's not the perfect commute but can't be any worse then my full-size pickup with 170,000 miles. And with the work-from-home situation the weighting of this one dropped pretty low. If i can get 18-20 on my occasional highway commute, I'll be happy.

4) Has the potential to haul the family around town.
Ok, so this is one that will take some work, but with the bed it's feasible. I'm considering how to get at least 3 additional seats in the bed so that I can take the family to dinner on a summer night (well, once all this craziness is through). Maybe some Land Rover 110 bench seats in the bed? Or find a second row from a JKU? This is going to be fun to figure out.

5) Unique, even quirky yet functional
I have a thing for oddball vehicles that work well and this one fits right in. I'm not a fan of having what everyone else has so a JLU wasn't quite right. The 'so ugly it's cute' looks and the Swiss army utility of the Gladiator make it just right in my book.

6) Able to get into (and out of) the woods
I don't get to do it often but there's not much that restores me as much as a few nights in the woods. I really wanted a vehicle that could get me to more isolated places - and was still comfortable to drive 3 or 4 hours on the highway to get there.

So given all that, the Gladiator was really the only current vehicle on the market that checked all the boxes. Yes I could spend a bit more on a custom Land Cruiser Troopie or Land Rover but there is something nice about having a warranty and I have a feeling if I want that route the cost would get out of hand pretty quickly. The Gladiator just made sense.

Jeep Gladiator Plain Jane, the family truckster pickup1

Jeep Gladiator Plain Jane, the family truckster gladiator

Now onto the bits and bobs I've been collecting to slowly make it my own. More on that later...
Sponsored

Blknblu

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Viper, 1968 Coronet R/T, 2011 Mopar 11. 2020 Gladiator Overland
Vehicle Showcase
My original ordered vehicle was just like that, till i got an Overland for even less than a basic Sport.

Bruce

OP
OP
-miko-

-miko-

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Designer
My original ordered vehicle was just like that, till i got an Overland for even less than a basic Sport.
You got a great deal. I just couldn't find a manual Sting Gray anywhere close by.

OP
OP
-miko-

-miko-

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Designer
Finally getting to all the stuff that accumulated while I waited for the truck to be delivered. Had a whole slew of things to add - CCM mirrors, Kentrol door pins and liners, door latch covers, 69 Designs dash mount and phone holder, and a stubby antenna.

Jeep Gladiator Plain Jane, the family truckster IMG_5759.JPG

Also got to haul it's first load - chairs and tables for a bridal shower my wife is hosting. Love that 2 six ft tables and 12 chairs fit under the tonneau cover easily. All with the doors and freedom panels off! :D

Jeep Gladiator Plain Jane, the family truckster IMG_5765.JPG

OP
OP
-miko-

-miko-

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Designer
I picked up a Rubicon plastic bumper and metal skid plate from a local forum member - thanks @Govdog76!. Got the skid plate installed after ordering some needed hardware from Quadratec, but think I might hold off on the bumper itself. I'm going for a utilitarian vibe overall - it has to improve the function if it's going on the truck. There's no added functionality with the Rubicon bumper and after looking at it side by side I prefer the simplicity and subtlety of the Sport one for now. One day I hope to snag a metal stubby Rubicon bumper - but I'd still paint the hooks black. ;)

By the way - hats off to the shipping crew at @Quadratec. I ordered on Thursday afternoon, items where pulled and shipped late Thursday and arrived before noon on Sunday - all with free shipping. It was a pleasant surprise to get them over the weekend.

Jeep Gladiator Plain Jane, the family truckster steel skidplate1

I spent the rest of the afternoon doing a bit more to simplify and subdue the overall look. I pulled and trimmed the air dams for less visual clutter around the bumper. Removed the Jeep side logos and plasti-dipped the wheel weights and trail rated badge to simplify the side view as well. Slowly getting there. Now I'm really ready for a leveling kit and tires. I've got a neighbor with a portable lift so hopefully a Teraflex kit will go on soon.

Jeep Gladiator Plain Jane, the family truckster steel skidplate2

First, though I want to make some carts for the doors and roof - hence the lumber in the bed. I really need a better spot to store them when they're off the truck. They're just asking for a ding sitting around the driveway and garage. More to come on that in a bit.

Sponsored

OP
OP
-miko-

-miko-

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Designer
Finally got time to work on a door cart. Overall I wanted it to support 3 configurations:

- Front doors only with or without Freedom Panels
- All doors with or without Freedom Panels
- All doors and roof with or without Freedom Panels

And it had to fit in a narrow spot in the garage. After researching a bunch of current options I made some plans and got started.

At first I seriously considered steel, but decided on lumber due to cost.

Jeep Gladiator Plain Jane, the family truckster IMG_5796.JPG

Did some testing of the design and found I needed a bit more space between the doors on the cart. I was also happy that the width was stable enough to hold a door without the other one on the cart.

Jeep Gladiator Plain Jane, the family truckster IMG_5797.JPG

Jeep Gladiator Plain Jane, the family truckster IMG_5798.JPG

My plan was to have a cart for the front doors and cart for the back.

Jeep Gladiator Plain Jane, the family truckster IMG_5802.JPG

I added some foam, casters and additional bracing. The front door cart has additional spot for the Freedom Panels.

Jeep Gladiator Plain Jane, the family truckster IMG_5806.JPG

They hold the doors quite well and are easy to roll in and out of the garage.

Jeep Gladiator Plain Jane, the family truckster IMG_5817.JPG

And finally the carts can be latched together to move all the doors together AND can store the roof on top.

Jeep Gladiator Plain Jane, the family truckster IMG_5815.JPG

When it's loaded up I can leave it at the back of the drive or roll it into the garage. Pretty happy with the way it came together.

Jeep Gladiator Plain Jane, the family truckster IMG_5813.JPG

OP
OP
-miko-

-miko-

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Designer
Here's the as built plans for the carts if anyone wants to make their own or riff off of this. Would love any comments on how things could be improved.

EDIT: Plans updated to include dimensions on the cut sheet.

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
-miko-

-miko-

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Designer
I've never quite understood why there isn't better integration with cellphones in modern cars. AirPlay, etc. are nice but I like a hard wired connection point that feels like it was meant to be there - not a slapped on mass of cords snaking across the interior.

To make that better in the Gladiator I decided to run a USB cord from the center console jack to a spot right below my phone mount.

First I snagged a good quality cable. This one was particularly nice since the greys and blacks match the interior - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B072JXXVP3. I've read that some lesser quality cables may have issues using that console port.

Next I drilled a hole just big enough for the cable head into the center console near the handbrake lever.

Jeep Gladiator Plain Jane, the family truckster cord-5

I also notched the rubber pad for a nice, tight fit.

Jeep Gladiator Plain Jane, the family truckster cord-4

Then I snaked the cord through the hole and pulled it out from the panel by the driver's seat and up to the footwell. Once it was completely pulled through (leaving a little slack in the console), I tucked the cord back up under all the trim panels until is was out of site and up under the dash.

Jeep Gladiator Plain Jane, the family truckster cord-3

Even here you can tuck the cable under the bottom corners of those dash trim pieces so it's completely hidden.

Jeep Gladiator Plain Jane, the family truckster cord-8

Next was to pull the HVAC panel off. I did watch a few youtube videos to make sure I wasn't going to break anything. I don't have any trim removal tools but used a putty knife to gently start pulling off the panel - then it's just getting your fingers under it and committing to pull it off.

Jeep Gladiator Plain Jane, the family truckster cord-2a

With it off, I snaked the cable up from the bottom of the dash...

Jeep Gladiator Plain Jane, the family truckster cord-2

...and notched the HVAC panel where the cable would come out.

Jeep Gladiator Plain Jane, the family truckster cord-1

Then it was just a matter of snapping the HVAC panel back on and adjusting the cord length to align to the bottom of my phone mount...

Jeep Gladiator Plain Jane, the family truckster cord-6

...and dropping the rubber mat back into the center console to finish it all off.

Jeep Gladiator Plain Jane, the family truckster cord-7

Very pleased with how clean it looks - like it was meant to be there.

BabblingBafoon

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Sales Management
I've never quite understood why there isn't better integration with cellphones in modern cars. AirPlay, etc. are nice but I like a hard wired connection point that feels like it was meant to be there - not a slapped on mass of cords snaking across the interior.

To make that better in the Gladiator I decided to run a USB cord from the center console jack to a spot right below my phone mount.

First I snagged a good quality cable. This one was particularly nice since the greys and blacks match the interior - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B072JXXVP3. I've read that some lesser quality cables may have issues using that console port.

Next I drilled a hole just big enough for the cable head into the center console near the handbrake lever.

I also notched the rubber pad for a nice, tight fit.

Then I snaked the cord through the hole and pulled it out from the panel by the driver's seat and up to the footwell. Once it was completely pulled through (leaving a little slack in the console), I tucked the cord back up under all the trim panels until is was out of site and up under the dash.

Even here you can tuck the cable under the bottom corners of those dash trim pieces so it's completely hidden.

Next was to pull the HVAC panel off. I did watch a few youtube videos to make sure I wasn't going to break anything. I don't have any trim removal tools but used a putty knife to gently start pulling off the panel - then it's just getting your fingers under it and committing to pull it off.

With it off, I snaked the cable up from the bottom of the dash...

...and notched the HVAC panel where the cable would come out.

Then it was just a matter of snapping the HVAC panel back on and adjusting the cord length to align to the bottom of my phone mount...

...and dropping the rubber mat back into the center console to finish it all off.

Very pleased with how clean it looks - like it was meant to be there.
Thanks for sharing this info! My 67 Designs Rail System should arrive tomorrow or Monday. Will definitely be following your lead on this.

OP
OP
-miko-

-miko-

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Designer
I've been doing some small upgrades to prep for a fall mountain trip along the TAT in Virginia. I've done portions of the trail in my 2 wheel drive Tundra but this will be the first I've done in the Gladiator. Really looking forward to it!

First was a Ram Mount iPad holder on the 67 Designs base for navigation via the GAIA app. I love the cockpit setup with both the phone and iPad easily visible but below the dash sight line...

Jeep Gladiator Plain Jane, the family truckster IMG_6028.JPG

Second but probably more important was upgrading the tires. Really like how it has changed the look and feel of driving the truck. I still have a set of Rubicon takeoff shocks and springs along with a Teraflex leveling kit to have mounted but need to wait on that a bit. But the tires alone make it a real truck...

Jeep Gladiator Plain Jane, the family truckster IMG_6044.JPG
Jeep Gladiator Plain Jane, the family truckster 2D45DE1A-DD5E-4919-B7D7-C695BBABA2B8

Third was an iDrive throttle controller. I noticed the impact (and the drop in fuel economy) with the stock tires and it's fun but I'm not sure it's as impactful with the oversized tires. It's less sporty with the extra weight in the drivetrain so I'm not sure if the iDrive is really needed. We'll see how it plays out on the trip...

Jeep Gladiator Plain Jane, the family truckster F6A60995-A5E1-47E3-85C1-115EC48D4A15

And finally I'm working on a footrest so I can use the passenger seat to sleep in overnight. I've done this in other vehicles and have slept better in the reclined seat than on the ground. Just need to add a cover and it should be good to go...

Jeep Gladiator Plain Jane, the family truckster FDC8876A-7C14-40ED-87F6-81FC9D8FE16A

Sponsored

BabblingBafoon

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales Management
I've been doing some small upgrades to prep for a fall mountain trip along the TAT in Virginia. I've done portions of the trail in my 2 wheel drive Tundra but this will be the first I've done in the Gladiator. Really looking forward to it!

First was a Ram Mount iPad holder on the 67 Designs base for navigation via the GAIA app. I love the cockpit setup with both the phone and iPad easily visible but below the dash sight line...

Jeep Gladiator Plain Jane, the family truckster FDC8876A-7C14-40ED-87F6-81FC9D8FE16A

Second but probably more important was upgrading the tires. Really like how it has changed the look and feel of driving the truck. I still have a set of Rubicon takeoff shocks and springs along with a Teraflex leveling kit to have mounted but need to wait on that a bit. But the tires alone make it a real truck...

Third was an iDrive throttle controller. I noticed the impact (and the drop in fuel economy) with the stock tires and it's fun but I'm not sure it's as impactful with the oversized tires. It's less sporty with the extra weight in the drivetrain so I'm not sure if the iDrive is really needed. We'll see how it plays out on the trip...

And finally I'm working on a footrest so I can use the passenger seat to sleep in overnight. I've done this in other vehicles and have slept better in the reclined seat than on the ground. Just need to add a cover and it should be good to go...

Love it!! We ordered new wheels and tires for my wife’s 2019 Moab, so I will be getting her stock wheels and tires which are all black Rubicon style wheels and 33” Mudder tires.

On your iPad holder, which model iPad do you have? I haven’t ordered the iPad holder for mine yet and had not seen that model before. Can you share the link?

OP
OP
-miko-

-miko-

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Designer

BabblingBafoon

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales Management

BabblingBafoon

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales Management
Thanks. I've got an iPad Air 2 and really like the mount. RAM pretty much has a variant of that holder for every iPad. https://www.rammount.com/shop-all/apple/ipad-mounts?facets[product_line][]=EZ-Roll'r
I just ordered the iPad holder but still need to order the arm and mounting stuff. It looks like you got another 67Designs arm and accessories, but it’s difficult to see in the picture. Did you get a longer arm for the iPad holder? Can you share what you bought around the mounting? I’d like to set mine up the same as you (again :like:)

OP
OP
-miko-

-miko-

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Designer
I just ordered the iPad holder but still need to order the arm and mounting stuff. It looks like you got another 67Designs arm and accessories, but it’s difficult to see in the picture. Did you get a longer arm for the iPad holder? Can you share what you bought around the mounting? I’d like to set mine up the same as you (again :like:)
Got it! Here's a picture of the set up for the arm...

Jeep Gladiator Plain Jane, the family truckster ipad

I sort of stumbled into it using bits and pieces I had but it works well. Here's a list of the components...
It all went together great except that the Ram provided bolts for the swivel mount where a touch long and ended up hitting the back of the iPad. I had to find other hardware and switched the bolts to go the other way.
Sponsored