Sponsored

Premium Soft Top Replacement (not a recall per se)

Wvjtjl

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR Black (his)//18JLU RIP//22 4xe(hers)
Any word on this? My JT’s premium top is much louder than our JLU premium top. It’s almost like there’s too much webbing on the 2nd and 3rd bows, and it allows the top to flap around, enough that it scares my wife when it happens. Can replicate it most of the time crossing train tracks.

I sent my dealer a link to this thread, along with the mystery Facebook post. Not sure how much digging they’ll do, but I’ll report back whatever I hear.
Sponsored

Iabonir

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Anyone have a video of the issue with their soft top. I’m trying to show my dealer what it looks like but everytime it happens I can’t record it in time.

capercrew02

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep WJ, BMW i3, Red JTR.
I have the premium softtop and if I get a cross wind, or pass a semi around 75mph I get a really bad rumble/flutter/thunder type sound, but it only lasts a few seconds. Is this the same issues others are reporting? Also is there any way to visually compare the tops? Mine was produced in July.

Iabonir

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I have the premium softtop and if I get a cross wind, or pass a semi around 75mph I get a really bad rumble/flutter/thunder type sound, but it only lasts a few seconds. Is this the same issues others are reporting? Also is there any way to visually compare the tops? Mine was produced in July.
Yes that’s what others including myself are talking about. Not the same situations but the same rumble/flutter/thunder type sound

Iabonir

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Just heard back from the dealer. This is the second time I’ve dropped my Gladiator off due to the issue with my soft top. They ordered me a new soft top. I’ll update this tomorrow after I pick it up and see how long th e wait is going to be for the new top

Sponsored

rborgers

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
How can you tell the exact date of manufacture? The sticker on my Gladiator shows 7 2019 and I bought it on 8-7-2019 the day it arrived at the dealer. Trying to determine if it was built before 7-21-2019.

Wvjtjl

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Took mine into my dealer this week, referencing the case number above. My top fits all symptoms, but my truck falls outside of the build date range. The tech submitted the request/whatever? to STAR online, and received a request back for video of it happening. Every time I've tried to capture it, either my top gets quiet, or my phone isn't catching the full effect.

Has anyone been able to catch a quality video of this, and would you mind sharing? If I am able to get something caught on video, I'll be sure to upload mine for others to use as well.

Thanks in advance!

Wvjtjl

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not the greatest videos, but here’s what I recorded and sent to my service guy to send to engineering.

Sponsored

Wvjtjl

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pinged my service guy for an update this morning, and sent him a few more videos of what mine is doing. I'll attach here, again, terrible quality. The longer dark video was 70ish MPH on I77 in the Fancy Gap, NC area. The clunks & clanks are kind of the extreme sounds that I get with mine. The shorter video was 45mph on a completely calm day, and you can hear the constant fluttering.

TLife

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR - Hydro Blue
Occupation
EE
I'm not sure those videos are doing as good of a job illustrating your problem as you might think. Your best option is probably to get your service guy to take a ride with you.

Wvjtjl

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree. I can hear it clearly because I know exactly what I’m listening for. I’ve had two scheduled appointments, both days ended up being cold & frosty, and the extra weight seems to really dampen the effect. I did stop by unannounced on a day it was extra noisy, and no one was free for a quick ride.

Wvjtjl

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just heard from my service guy, they’re ordering me a new top cover, should be here in 5-10 days. Will update once the new cover is installed.

Wvjtjl

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My dealer installed the new top today and...nothing to report, which is good. Today was a wind advisory in my area, and I heard nothing like the noises from my original top. I’ll report back if anything changes.
Sponsored