Sponsored

Purpose of this hole in the weather floor mats?

The 1

First Name
Nigel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKUR
Trying to figure out the reasoning for adding this hole in the mats. My JKU mats didn’t have this. Seems to defeat the purpose as it allows water and dirt to get into the carpet.

2AD1BEFB-6679-4999-A2B7-A895FEAAE249.jpeg
Sponsored

OP
OP

The 1

First Name
Nigel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKUR
You're supposed to remove the drain plugs from the floor, press in these mats (they will pop in like the drain plug) then install the drain plug into the mat.

Now you can drain the floor mat directly out side the vehicle
Well that makes a lot more sense. Thanks for the response!

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
Thats so when you spill a very large soda that pools in the passenger floor you can drain it out the bottom. From experience this is an absolutely fantastic feature.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Or you can drain out the rainwater that drained in from opening the door in rain.. :giggle: reason I pulled them out yesterday :like:

Sponsored

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Or you can drain out the rainwater that drained in from opening the door in rain.. :giggle: reason I pulled them out yesterday :like:
And this right here makes me wonder why we dont have the drains in the back.

You could just leave them all open for water crossings.

TheITGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E, 2021 Toyota Rav4 Limit
And this right here makes me wonder why we dont have the drains in the back.

You could just leave them all open for water crossings.
IIRC, the drain holes are in the lowest part of the floor pan, presuming factory rake. Any water that gets in the back should, theoretically, flow to the front foot wells and out the drain holes. Now, if you've altered the rake of the vehicle, YMMV.

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
IIRC, the drain holes are in the lowest part of the floor pan, presuming factory rake. Any water that gets in the back should, theoretically, flow to the front foot wells and out the drain holes. Now, if you've altered the rake of the vehicle, YMMV.
Buuuuuttttt... If you have installed the Mopar floormats then there is a lip on the front of the rear mats keeping the liquid from flowing forward.

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
Buuuuuttttt... If you have installed the Mopar floormats then there is a lip on the front of the rear mats keeping the liquid from flowing forward.
There is a huge hump at the forward mounts of the front seat, between the back floor and the front floor that would prevent water flowing forward. Behind that hump, under the seat is a similar "drain" plug, but it is on a slightly higher plateau forward of the back floor, so it wouldn't completely drain the back either (that and it's under the carpet and very hard to get to. ) I think it is there just as another possible place to pass wiring out of the cabin and I used it to route the wiring for my underseat air compressor.

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
There is a huge hump at the forward mounts of the front seat, between the back floor and the front floor that would prevent water flowing forward. Behind that hump, under the seat is a similar "drain" plug, but it is on a slightly higher plateau forward of the back floor, so it wouldn't completely drain the back either (that and it's under the carpet and very hard to get to. ) I think it is there just as another possible place to pass wiring out of the cabin and I used it to route the wiring for my underseat air compressor.
The power for my Amp & sub-woofer is actually running through that drain plug.

I still think they should of done accessible drains in the back seat foor areas similar to the front with the cutouts in the OEM floor mats. Basically they have a fantastic solution for the front & a half assed one for the back. Under the seat is another beast of its own, but with the dished floor mats almost all the water would be cought between the front & rear floor mats in the event of being left out in the rain or people caused spills. Which I believe that those would be most of the reason things would get wet (cause as much as we would all love to be doing deep water crossings regularly I am sure most of us do them almost never if ever at all).

Sponsored

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
You're supposed to remove the drain plugs from the floor, press in these mats (they will pop in like the drain plug) then install the drain plug into the mat.

Now you can drain the floor mat directly out side the vehicle
Now that is cool. I ordered the mats with my build.

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
The power for my Amp & sub-woofer is actually running through that drain plug.
Factory or aftermarket? Driver or passenger side?

I still think they should of done accessible drains in the back seat foor areas similar to the front with the cutouts in the OEM floor mats.
Absolutely.

... as much as we would all love to be doing deep water crossings regularly I am sure most of us do them almost never if ever at all.
I never intend to. Don't want to get my compressor wet!

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Factory or aftermarket? Driver or passenger side?
Aftermarket - I am using the Alpine PSS23 WRA kit so no cutting or splicing. Just running 1 wire from the battery & fishing a harness up the dash. Then changing to proper tweeters in the dash.

Sbaker

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Do you have to remove the alongaited circle piece of carpet prior to installing?

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have to remove the alongaited circle piece of carpet prior to installing?
Yeah... Then it leaves a clear shot to underneath.
Sponsored