First Name
Windsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S “sold”, 2022 JTR
Occupation
Gov
Just a thought, Im coming from a Canyon Diesel that I had for 3yrs and put roughly 110k miles on before I picked up the Gladiator. IF that Eco Gladi was regining then you may have smelled something different. My canyon would put off a slight smell and excessive heat when regining. Other than that you could run that thing all day and the exhaust pipe would stay relatively cool and you couldn't smell a thing even if standing by the pipe.
Sponsored

OP
OP
OMTBiker

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, '21 JLU 80th | Past '20 JTR, '18 JLUR
Just a thought, Im coming from a Canyon Diesel that I had for 3yrs and put roughly 110k miles on before I picked up the Gladiator. IF that Eco Gladi was regining then you may have smelled something different. My canyon would put off a slight smell and excessive heat when regining. Other than that you could run that thing all day and the exhaust pipe would stay relatively cool and you couldn't smell a thing even if standing by the pipe.
Would a regen have an ammonia like smell?

Tufelhundin

First Name
Windsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Gov
Well, the DEF would smell that way for sure, but ,,,DEF is not used during a Regen.

In the Canyon a fifth fuel nozzle is used to increase the heat to burn out the crap...hence the heat, lower fuel economy as well for about 15 minutes of steady driving.

Although a new vehicle getting hot will have smells ...Im not sure about the smell in the vehicle.

OP
OP
OMTBiker

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, '21 JLU 80th | Past '20 JTR, '18 JLUR
Well, the DEF would smell that way for sure, but ,,,DEF is not used during a Regen.

In the Canyon a fifth fuel nozzle is used to increase the heat to burn out the crap...hence the heat, lower fuel economy as well for about 15 minutes of steady driving.

Although a new vehicle getting hot will have smells ...Im not sure about the smell in the vehicle.
Since you had a diesel in the Canyon, is there a reason you did not buy the diesel for the Gladiator?

KHam

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I don't have a diesel gladiator but I've owned and worked with quite a few diesel vehicles. A modern diesel engine should be just fine starting up in mild sub-zero temps. I can remember not having any issues until it got to around -15 then the batteries have a hard time supplying enough current at those temps. You just spend more time on the glow plugs and in some cases I have had to use some starter fluid. We always kept our diesels inside when it got down to -25 and colder as even with a block heater they became difficult to get going. Up north where I come from when it got that cold (I've seen as cold as -49 ambient) you just leave them idle and run all the time if they're outside, and block the radiators. You didn't say how cold, just that you were concerned about cold weather starting.

Sponsored

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I can't answer your diesel questions, but pulling our off grid trailer (1.500lbs empty and 3500lbs max) I typically get about 10mpg. Heading west you normally have a head wind and I'm now in the 7-8mpg range cursing at 65mph. I've got stock gearing and suspension but am on 35s.

The JT and my trailer are both bricks, so I don't really expect great gas mileage. It does suck only being able to go about 150 miles before needing gas though :(
Another reason I am glad I got a MT. Only towing experience so far was pulling Honda Civic on U-Haul tow dolly (total 3500 lbs) about 1000 miles on I-95. No issues and averaged 18 MPG.

jbehrn

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I’m interested in a Gladiator diesel as well, but after owning a VW TDI I am hesitant to purchase the Jeep. The VW had a crappy particulate filter that cost a small fortune to replace... What’s the Gladiator’s exhaust doing for that?

Tufelhundin

First Name
Windsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Gov
Since you had a diesel in the Canyon, is there a reason you did not buy the diesel for the Gladiator?

yes, they weren't out at the time, lol. I loved my diesel and I avg around 33k a year in it. GreenDieselEngineering was a great source as well. Due to the fact that my current Gladi is only a year old "Dec 27", Its just not in my cards or wallet to get into a brand new this soon.

Etoimos

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Another reason I am glad I got a MT. Only towing experience so far was pulling Honda Civic on U-Haul tow dolly (total 3500 lbs) about 1000 miles on I-95. No issues and averaged 18 MPG.
That's good mileage towing, but I don't think you would get that on the back roads out here in the Rockies.

Sponsored

Elkaholic

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Willys Diesel
Occupation
Management
The other thing I noticed is that it felt like the computer was pulling power and short shifting the transmission on an aggressive take off, the truck would start to accelerate quickly then back off. This is concerning especially if you need to pull out quickly into traffic.

Is the pulling of power expected to not strain the rest of the drivetrain, the transmission should have no issue with the torque.
s
What you were feeling is likely exactly what you described - the ecm pulling power during trans shifts. I have not driven my 21 hard yet as I picked it up Monday and have a hair over 200 miles on it at the moment. However, most modern diesels do this. My other truck (a Chevy 3500 dually Duramax) does this noticeably on hard acceleration.

We upfit all of the big 3 diesels and all of them do it with auto trans trucks ..

WMWHV

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel, 1947 Willys CJ2A
Build Thread
Link
I have never noticed any diesel or DEF smell in my JT. Now with around 1500 miles. It does have a chemically “new car” smell that I attribute to the plastic in the interior. The climate control has been on “auto” since I drove It out of the dealership. Maybe a mile or two in defrost. Have not noticed any power loss, but have not pushed it hard either. Have not had a trailer behind it yet, but will do so. I want to weigh my trailer first. N

Smess

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Diesel, 2021 392, 1982 J10
I’m interested in a Gladiator diesel as well, but after owning a VW TDI I am hesitant to purchase the Jeep. The VW had a crappy particulate filter that cost a small fortune to replace... What’s the Gladiator’s exhaust doing for that?
A diesel that cheated on emissions, company had the shit sued out of them, it was such a big deal all the cars were recalled and bought back and a documentary was done on it because it was such an issue.

Not a good comparison and current days VW's are pieces of shit, they were never known for a diesel.

jbehrn

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
A diesel that cheated on emissions, company had the shit sued out of them, it was such a big deal all the cars were recalled and bought back and a documentary was done on it because it was such an issue.

Not a good comparison and current days VW's are pieces of shit, they were never known for a diesel.
You are aware that Fiat was not immune to that scandal? Regardless of those points my question about the particulate filter lifespan and regen cycles is still valid. The VW replacement was roughly $2700 (from what I remember).

Last edited:

Smess

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Diesel, 2021 392, 1982 J10
You are aware that Fiat was not immune to that scandal? Regardless of those points my question about the particulate filter lifespan and regen cycles is still valid. The VW replacement was roughly $2700 (from what I remember).
come to think of it I do remember something about Fiat being involved

I have had my Diesel Gladiator for a month and it has never re-gened

Filter Replacement? I only have 20k on my other diesel truck but a friend with same truck has 150k and never replaced the filter.

How many miles did your VW have that you had to replace the filter?
Sponsored