Sponsored

Ram Releases EcoDiesel Specs -> Transmission?!?

bhbdvm

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Rubicon, 2016 BMW R1200GS
I am curious to see how the Ecodiesel actually pans out. I am almost certain this engine is heavier than the gas engine and wondering if it will effect the payload and/or towing capability because of the added weight? Obviously, we all talk about the advantages of the diesel for towing, etc. In my 2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel it did impact my payload significantly compared to the gas models with the same options. I also wonder if they will need to take away volume from the fuel tank to make room for the DEF tank. In the Ram I believe the DEF is 6 gallons. I'm looking forward to seeing the Ecodiesel in this model, I just hope it doesn't negatively impact the above. Time will tell.
Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2017 JKU, 2022 JTRD ordered.
I am curious to see how the Ecodiesel actually pans out. I am almost certain this engine is heavier than the gas engine and wondering if it will effect the payload and/or towing capability because of the added weight? Obviously, we all talk about the advantages of the diesel for towing, etc. In my 2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel it did impact my payload significantly compared to the gas models with the same options. I also wonder if they will need to take away volume from the fuel tank to make room for the DEF tank. In the Ram I believe the DEF is 6 gallons. I'm looking forward to seeing the Ecodiesel in this model, I just hope it doesn't negatively impact the above. Time will tell.
I'm confident the fuel capacity won't change. And I don't see 100-200 lbs of engine weight having much impact on tow rating (if any). Yes, time will tell. Hurry up FCA!

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Interesting that the EcoDiesel is STILL not showing up in the JL order guide as the 2020 model year approaches. This will be 3 model years now that they've promised the "EcoDiesel is coming" and it hasn't. Which is why I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for this alleged engine option to show up.

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
Interesting that the EcoDiesel is STILL not showing up in the JL order guide as the 2020 model year approaches. This will be 3 model years now that they've promised the "EcoDiesel is coming" and it hasn't. Which is why I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for this alleged engine option to show up.

only see it mentioned once one the opening page of the presentation - not even in that mini engine option matrix.....WTF

Gladiator4Runner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Toyota pickup, 2015 4Runner TRD Pro, 1993 Harley Davidson FXSTS,
IF it's rated 30 MPG highway, that's a 36% increase over the 3.6L V6 highway rating. But, diesel fuel is currently averaging 25% more expensive. So the net savings on fuel is pretty small. When you factor in the upfront cost, maintenance cost, and possibility of excessively expensive repairs barely out of warranty, you are not likely to ever break even or save money with the diesel.

The only reason a guy would go EcoDiesel is for the driving experience. That low end torque does feel nice and it's nice not having to downshift all the time.
The price difference you mention of the fuel is using the crappy 87 octane
I only run ethanol free which costs more than diesel.
Ethanol is the devil

Sponsored

Gladiator4Runner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Toyota pickup, 2015 4Runner TRD Pro, 1993 Harley Davidson FXSTS,
well, the latest report from the RAM ecodiesel is combined 24 mpg....good/bad/thoughts?.

It'll probably be 22 combined in the Gladiator at best.

starting to lean way to the side of gas vs. diesel which saddens me.

RH 67

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Rubicon Gladiator, Alfa Romeo Quad
Occupation
Retired DOD, Army SF, SS.
well, the latest report from the RAM ecodiesel is combined 24 mpg....good/bad/thoughts?.

If you factor in everything, initial cost, fuel cost, oil changes, DEF, smog inspection every other year at least here in Cali. and less towing capable a diesel in this size of truck to me does not make since.

If someone really needs a truck with a diesel step up to the big boys for about the same price and fuel economy. A diesel in a truck means it`s going to be used as a truck. I own a 2019 F250 diesel and it`s a great TRUCK.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Combined will be better in the JT since it’s lighter.

Krazy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 310gs
I doubt that matters
The drag coefficient of the new ram is .357
I couldn't find the gladiator but the jl is .45
Once everything is moving you are just pushing a hole in the air.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I doubt that matters
The drag coefficient of the new ram is .357
I couldn't find the gladiator but the jl is .45
Once everything is moving you are just pushing a hole in the air.
Whoa. Looks like the Ram and Gladiator are both right around 5000lbs.

Sponsored

Rollcast

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
I've been rolling around some thoughts on this ecodiesel.

Ecodiesel Ram is about 500 lbs heavier than the pentastar Ram so I think it's a reasonable assumption that Ecodiesel gladiator will be 500 lbs heavier than gas gladiator. Most of that weight will probably be over the front. Let's conservatively guess 350 lbs.

Gas Rubicon Gladiator has a front axle with a gross axle weight rating of 3100 lbs and front curb weight of 2677 lbs. That's 423 lbs short of max GAWR. Throw on 350 lbs of diesel, a steel bumper, a winch and bam! You are over the GAWR.

I'm curious to see how jeep manages this issue.

RH 67

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Rubicon Gladiator, Alfa Romeo Quad
Occupation
Retired DOD, Army SF, SS.
I've been rolling around some thoughts on this ecodiesel.

Ecodiesel Ram is about 500 lbs heavier than the pentastar Ram so I think it's a reasonable assumption that Ecodiesel gladiator will be 500 lbs heavier than gas gladiator. Most of that weight will probably be over the front. Let's conservatively guess 350 lbs.

Gas Rubicon Gladiator has a front axle with a gross axle weight rating of 3100 lbs and front curb weight of 2677 lbs. That's 423 lbs short of max GAWR. Throw on 350 lbs of diesel, a steel bumper, a winch and bam! You are over the GAWR.

I'm curious to see how jeep manages this issue.
Honestly i cannot see any benefit of having a diesel in the Gladiator there are more negatives than pluses.
Sponsored