Elisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
U.S. Army Retired
I hope we always have the ICE - gas or diesel. Not sold on electric yet
There were a couple of other interesting articles this week too.

Toyota was in the news for “not being all in” on the EV thing, pointing out that many parts of the world won’t be adopting the technology anytime soon.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/09/13/why-toyota-the-worlds-largest-automaker-isnt-all-in-on-evs.html

Similarly, Ford was in the news for racing ahead with another Hi-Perf ICE iteration of the Mustang, with no EV version (the Mach E isn’t a Mustang other than in name, IMO) in sight. And one of the CEOs, I believe it was the Ford guy has my sentiments. "No one knows yet where this is going.?"

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/seventh-generation-ford-mustang-debuts-electric-car

Enjoyed reading what all of you had to say on this news.
Sponsored

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
There were a couple of other interesting articles this week too.

Toyota was in the news for “not being all in” on the EV thing, pointing out that many parts of the world won’t be adopting the technology anytime soon.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/09/13/why-toyota-the-worlds-largest-automaker-isnt-all-in-on-evs.html

Similarly, Ford was in the news for racing ahead with another Hi-Perf ICE iteration of the Mustang, with no EV version (the Mach E isn’t a Mustang other than in name, IMO) in sight. And one of the CEOs, I believe it was the Ford guy has my sentiments. "No one knows yet where this is going.?"

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/seventh-generation-ford-mustang-debuts-electric-car

Enjoyed reading what all of you had to say on this news.
Like to see what South America and Africa are doing. Try and find a charging station in Southern Sudan or in the Congo.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Like to see what South America and Africa are doing. Try and find a charging station in Southern Sudan or in the Congo.
Ya, they don't count. Just dealing with first world problems...

Cracked_Windshield

First Name
Elisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
U.S. Army Retired
I can’t profess to know the answer to your Africa question, but I think I’m right regarding this response: You can only drive what you can buy, and you can only keep things on the road that you have the parts to maintain and repair. Through that lens, life is the same all over.

What we/I don’t know is as Americans we tend to forget that Russia, China, and other such countries also produce vehicles. Who knows what they’re selling the third world?

Sponsored

Stratus109

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL , WJ
Occupation
Welder
They're not going whole hog on the EV thing.

They're still dumping quite a bit of money into making the 2.0 at the respective plants.

I wouldn't be surprised if they came out with a different diesel. Maybe something along the line of what Cummins does with the 4 cylinder. Good amount of HP and torque and get the weight down so payload/towing can come up.
Literally the worst sounding engine.

22EcoDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22jtsD , 06XK, 21KL - Retired(97ZJ,15JKU, 00WJ,)
Could the r2.8 be made into a factory option?

Fox940

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator, 2010 Power Wagon, 1958 Willys p/u

Wolf Island Diver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Rubicon EcoDiesel
Occupation
Software Engineer
The writing is on the wall for ICE generally. Diesel was an attractive option because it was seen as a way to improve CAFE numbers but it was always a stopgap. FCA didn’t make these small “ecodiesel” engines, nor put them in any jeeps and trucks because of all the benefits of diesel. They already had their heavy duty diesels for that. They did it for CAFE standards and we got all the benefits of diesel and the additional mileage as well.

Then came the double whammy of higher NOX standards and emissions cheating. I’m really not surprised makers are going to throw in the towel on diesel for fleet mileage purposes and shift their focus to hybrids or electric. It makes a lot of sense from business and engineering standpoints.

The more companies start turning towards electrification the better it’s gonna get. For me, the only real question is whether the battery technology is going to improve quickly enough that there’s an electric gladiator/wrangler that’s a legitimate replacement for ICE any time soon. I don’t think the 4xE is there yet.

As far as the current EcoDiesel Gladiator, I’d buy one sooner than later. But there’s a possibility they’ll keep it around a few more years for various reasons, including that the market, is different for these than the Ram.

I don’t think there’s any reason to be concerned about parts or service. There’s lots of discontinued vehicles you can still get parts for a most of the parts are shared with the gas engine variants. It might mean the aftermarket support for things that are compatible with the EcoDiesel version drop off though. We may never see an EcoDiesel snorkel for example.

Jocww

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
thewongwindingroad.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
73 Fj40 lq9 on 38s 2021 JTRD Gecko Green on 37s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Flight Instructor
I would love a diesel electric Jeep. Just like a locomotive. Diesel generator to power the batteries. Be awesome. Having my own little choo choo train without the tracks lol.