First Name
Mrmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
nuke
Looks like Ram announced today that they are discontinuing the EcoDiesel in the Ram 1500 in January 2023. I haven't seen any news pertaining to Jeep on this yet, has anyone else? It seems likely that they won't continue supporting the EcoDiesel in Jeeps for long once they pull the Ram plug. It'll be a shame if they do decide to pull the plug on it, and make the ones that are out there a bit of a unicorn. I'm glad I got one while they've been available, but I'm concerned part availability and repairs could become more difficult.
Yes, I was planning on having this diesel for many more years, like at least 10, and whats going to happen to the parts availability/support. Im sure some things will wear out, unless the aftermarket picks it all up pretty quickly
Sponsored

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Considering the vast majority of their product announcements have been EV, it will be interesting to see where the new engines find a home. But I donā€™t have insider information on the topic, and what you are suggesting makes far more sense from a sales and market demand perspective. The average American isnā€™t ready for the compromises associated with current EV tech, particularly as an only car.
The point is, the talking heads are going to SAY what the governments want to hear, but continue to hedge on what the market shows.

Just like the call for all commercial goods to be hauled by EV vehicles. The technology is nowhere near ready for this, but that doesn't stop people from mandating it has to happen by a certain date. Right now EVERYTHING is for show only. Trying to appease the proper people.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Yes, I was planning on having this diesel for many more years, like at least 10, and whats going to happen to the parts availability/support. Im sure some things will wear out, unless the aftermarket picks it all up pretty quickly
You'll be good to go. No one repealed the law stating they have to provide parts for all vehicles sold in the previous 10 years.

mrmo

First Name
Mrmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
nuke
Jeep stated corporate goal is 50% of US and 100% of Europe sales will be EV by 2030. Stellanits has made similar commitments across all of their product lines, itā€™s why the next Charger and Challenger will be EVs. They seem to be putting most of their eggs in that basket.

I had a 2008 F250 with the much hated 6.4L TT V8 diesel, pretty much all of the issues were caused by the stupid emissions crap that wasnā€™t required in many other countries. I deleted the EGR, DPF, cat, and installed a mild tow tune, it was a phenomenal engine. After the deletes it was super smooth, had way more power, and picked up about 7 MPG on the highway. I could push 25 MPG with that beast of a truck.
I have an F450 with same treatment, eliminates 90% of the issues that engine was having, it runs good now.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
I hope you do realize that in todays current tech EVā€™s are significantly worse for the environment than gas and diesel and they really dont save much of anything. The nation also has some weird misconception that American internal combustion vehicles are the sole cause for climate changes. Do you have any clue how much oil one tanker or cargo ship burns burns? Depending on a lot of factors, a solid AVERAGE is 1,200,000 GALLONS of diesel to reach its destination. Thats 15 days worth of travel. Or 80,000 gallons of diesel per DAY. They also do not have emissions regulations. So all that stuff you buy on Amazon is massively polluting. And considering nearly all batteries are made in other countries, we require tanker ships to import EVā€™s or at least their components. Unless tankers, planes, and trains, and all other industrial use of carbon is running on something else, forcing a country to go EV wont be super helpful. Hybrids would be a much better step to take first. They use significantly less fuel, but also dont cause for major restrictions that EVā€™s cause. California as you pointed is a perfect storm of an example. Forcing the state to go EV by 2035, yet days later telling people to not charge their vehicles and digital electric services turning off air conditioning in homes. Not a good combination.

But I must be honest I like how quiet they are.

Ford does have the lightning. Not sure if its out yet. And their F150 has a hybrid option. It actually is pretty slickā€¦. And for ā€˜overlandersā€™ has some huge potential since you can plug a camper right into the main battery system. It also has a decent payload still and good towing numbers.
TFL on YouTube compared a ice Chevy to the Ford Lightning towing a trailer. From Denver to Pueblo and back. Around a hundred miles or so. Lighting was looking for a place to recharge. While the Chevy went to and back on the same tank of gas.

Sponsored

onewhippedpuppy

Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Aerospace
The point is, the talking heads are going to SAY what the governments want to hear, but continue to hedge on what the market shows.

Just like the call for all commercial goods to be hauled by EV vehicles. The technology is nowhere near ready for this, but that doesn't stop people from mandating it has to happen by a certain date. Right now EVERYTHING is for show only. Trying to appease the proper people.
I understand where you are going and hope that you are correct. I agree that right now a lot of companies are positioning for the sake of politics and optics. If they are not, I suspect weā€™ll have some struggling car companies in a few years, while those that maintained ICE and hybrid products will be laughing all the way to the bank.

onewhippedpuppy

Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Aerospace
the 4 cylinder 2.0

I agree with all of the issues you listed. Please do not follow or use california. Many of us do not fall in the typical california stereotype as we live rural and do not partake in the above. Also we dont drive EV's because the power goes off whenever the wind blows. :)

Diesel is the answer to everyones problems but hampered by regulation that affects reliability.

Show me where they recycle EV lithium cells and create new cells from the recycled material in a cost effective industrial scale and I will be onboard.

We have all seen this floating around. replacement battery cost on a chevy Volt hybrid:
1663187092080.png

Cheaper to buy a new car. Completely unsustainable.
I know that all of CA isnā€™t LA, too bad the big cities drag you all down. Iā€™ve spent plenty of time in the desert where the people are far closer to KS than they are LA. I keep hoping to see common sense win out!

pmpmstrb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD, JLUWD
The big "push" for EV makes no sense to me when they are giving you up to a $7500 tax credit for purchasing an EV of some sort. Catch is that you can only claim up to your tax liability and you can only claim it for 1 tax cycle. Unlike solar on your house you get whatever the current tax credit % is up to your tax liability per year and you have 5 years to fully claim it. If they really wanted to entice people to purchase EV then you should have more than 1 tx cycle to claim the credit. My in laws have a 4Xe on order from Kent and they're only going to be able to claim like $4200 of the $7500 they qualify for. BS if you ask me.

HooliganActual

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Show me where they recycle EV lithium cells and create new cells from the recycled material in a cost effective industrial scale and I will be onboard.
+1 right here!!!

Personally I am not against the EV concept, but there are too many things that need to be figured out. Batteries being the big one. And I agree with the arguments: "that electricity has to be made somehow", "the resources needed to make batteries are more limited that oil", "mining the materials to make the batteries is damaging", ad infinitum. These are all real concerns but the one no one really talks about is end of life.

I worked in the Nuclear Power industry for 15 years and it's biggest downfall was what to do with the spent fuel and radioactive waste. Everyone has probably seen or heard about the disposal/storage/leaking issues at places like Oak Ridge or Yucca Mountain.

This is the current problem with the EV batteries:
- First off, they really aren't being produced with a mind towards recycling or disposal making it actually impossible or even dangerous to dismantle.
- Number B, there are really only currently 2 companies in the US that are actively doing anything with "waste" EV batteries. As such the car companies are storing the batteries awaiting a way to dispose of/recycle them. I'd bet even money that they are not storing them and treating them like true hazardous waste and that will be dangerous.
- Number 3, I'm not aware of (at least in the research I've done...which could be flawed) any of the big auto makers who are actively working on the back end of the battery life cycle, but they are riding the wave of excitement on the front end. They are falling over each other to cash in on the wave of enthusiasm, potential legislation, green-mindedness out there to SELL SOME CARS. It's really not unlike when retro cars like the T-Bird, Mustang, Camaro, etc. became "a thing" and it seemed like they were releasing retro muscle cars every other week.
-Finally, I understand that most of the EV cars are coming with 8yr/100,000 mile warranties (or thereabouts) so most consumers aren't thinking about the cost of replacing those batteries...it's not cheap. I know, neither is replacing an internal combustion engine when it fails. But here's the rub:

As more EV cars are on the road, more "waste" batteries will need stored. And just like the Nuclear Power industry, at some point there will be an ecological disaster related to leaking cells, byproduct gas explosion, whatever and that will spur crazy environmental legislation that will make the cost to store those batteries astronomical. And that my friends will get passed on to the consumer.

Personally, I wish that these auto manufacturers would take the time to develop and build the back end infrastructure versus having the "we'll fix it when it's a problem" mentality.

AmosMoses

First Name
Amos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator sport
Occupation
Manufacturing
Battery tech is really cool and Iam glad we are getting more options for transportation.

I also think it's extremely hyped/pushed by networks of people looking to make alot of money. People in conjested cities think it will turn their bloated cities into clean utopias. EV is pushed like Reagan era "war on drugs" and giant corporations profiting off of poor laborers making their products clamor to convince the public it is virtuous by supporting "green" ideas and alot of you gobble it up.

Whatever pollution we negate in the US or other western countries is negated by our thirst for cheaper products made in countries with governments who value the profit over the self regulation of being "green".

Critical thinking is a lost art shoved out of the way by television and entertainment, sports. Think for yourself and question authority.

Sponsored

Zybane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Occupation
Military Pilot

PlayfulBird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT 2020 Rubicon Gobi
Unpopular opinion-- good riddance.

Diesel is 80s tech and the world is moving forward. I for one, welcome our new EV overlords. I'll be first in line for an EV gladiator, as I'm similarly eager to get rid of this crap 3.6l powerplant. It's 2022 and this powerplant is only good at reminding me what 2012 technology is like.

Edit-- I drove a JL diesel. I wasn't impressed. The weight distribution of the added boat anchor engine in the front made the whole thing feel like it would crash down to the bumpstops just leaving the driveway. I got 29-30 mpg on the highway. Big whoop. The engine wasn't clatterly like other diesels I've driven, but didn't make a noise that was pleasant nor indicative of power like a V8 might.
The JT will never come as an EV, maybe as a hybrid, or a custom work to make it electric. The market will not be big enough to support a lifestyle truck that is ev, maybe by the time the infrastructure supports it, and by then we will be at some kind of generator(hydrogen for ecxample) driving motors

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation