Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Interesting especially since they just did a full update to the ecoD in 2020 going from gen2 to gen3.

investing that kind of money only to carry a new motor for 3 years doesn't seem like good business sense.
They use this motor in Europe too. So they still could be still be using after 2023.
Sponsored

22EcoDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22jtsD , 06XK, 21KL - Retired(97ZJ,15JKU, 00WJ,)
Interesting especially since they just did a full update to the ecoD in 2020 going from gen2 to gen3.

investing that kind of money only to carry a new motor for 3 years doesn't seem like good business sense.
I suspect they are cutting bait with this fuel pump issue on top of the epa lawsuit

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
I suspect they are cutting bait with this fuel pump issue on top of the epa lawsuit
Good chance of that. Bosch maybe saying that they're not going to do anything with the fuel pump. It is what it is. Live with it to FCA or who ever. And that is forcing FCA to drop the motor.

willhonkforparts

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD & 2008 JKUR
Occupation
Self-loathing
Yup, it sure does.

onewhippedpuppy

Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Aerospace
They're not going whole hog on the EV thing.

They're still dumping quite a bit of money into making the 2.0 at the respective plants.

I wouldn't be surprised if they came out with a different diesel. Maybe something along the line of what Cummins does with the 4 cylinder. Good amount of HP and torque and get the weight down so payload/towing can come up.
Jeep stated corporate goal is 50% of US and 100% of Europe sales will be EV by 2030. Stellanits has made similar commitments across all of their product lines, it’s why the next Charger and Challenger will be EVs. They seem to be putting most of their eggs in that basket.

More reason to DELETE all that emissions bullshit as soon as I get it paid off. That engine and transmission will last a long time without all that crap.
I had a 2008 F250 with the much hated 6.4L TT V8 diesel, pretty much all of the issues were caused by the stupid emissions crap that wasn’t required in many other countries. I deleted the EGR, DPF, cat, and installed a mild tow tune, it was a phenomenal engine. After the deletes it was super smooth, had way more power, and picked up about 7 MPG on the highway. I could push 25 MPG with that beast of a truck.

Sponsored

22EcoDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22jtsD , 06XK, 21KL - Retired(97ZJ,15JKU, 00WJ,)
Jeep stated corporate goal is 50% of US and 100% of Europe sales will be EV by 2030. Stellanits has made similar commitments across all of their product lines, it’s why the next Charger and Challenger will be EVs. They seem to be putting most of their eggs in that basket.

I had a 2008 F250 with the much hated 6.4L TT V8 diesel, pretty much all of the issues were caused by the stupid emissions crap that wasn’t required in many other countries. I deleted the EGR, DPF, cat, and installed a mild tow tune, it was a phenomenal engine. After the deletes it was super smooth, had way more power, and picked up about 7 MPG on the highway. I could push 25 MPG with that beast of a truck.
How long did the motor last ?

RJinPV

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon, 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired
I think this makes a lot of sense. Why keep producing the Ecodiesel, with all of it's emissions & engineering headaches, when you can get the same HP and torque numbers using a PHEV or BEV drivetrain? Just look at the Jeep 4Xe numbers versus the Ecodiesel.

Joe Gladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Seems they are going all in on EV. Time will tell us if their decision is a good one, as most other companies are taking a more measured approach considering the still slow sales of EV compared to ICE.
i think its irresponsible for car manufactures to all go this route when its not equal to or better then engines. The range is not there, extreme cold/hot weather is a problem, and battery replacement is ridiculous and what happens when there's power outages we will all be stuck. imo hybrid is the way to go small engine with battery power and its a win win. ...rant over

Sponsored

onewhippedpuppy

Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Aerospace
i think its irresponsible for car manufactures to all go this route when its not equal to or better then engines. The range is not there, extreme cold/hot weather is a problem, and battery replacement is ridiculous and what happens when there's power outages we will all be stuck. imo hybrid is the way to go small engine with battery power and its a win win. ...rant over
I would agree on both counts. From a business perspective it’s also a head scratcher, because when you peel away the hype around EVs they still aren’t really selling that many of them. I would consider a 4XE Gladiator if Jeep could make it reliable, but there’s no way an EV version would work for my usage.

Otisday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Overland Diesel
Occupation
VP
https://media.stellantisnorthamerica.com/newsrelease.do?id=24274&mid=1#:~:text=Production of the 2023 Ram,seen in a Ram truck.

"September 13, 2022 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - Ram Truck is commemorating nearly a decade of EcoDiesel production and the benchmark powertrain innovation it produced. The stand-alone truck brand is offering consumers a final opportunity to order its Ram 1500 EcoDiesel model. Production of the 2023 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel will conclude in January 2023, marking the end of an era.​
Introduced in 2014, with a significant upgrade integrated for the 2020 model year, the EcoDiesel V-6 engine provided a host of impressive powertrain milestones only seen in a Ram truck."​

Wonder if that just puts the writing on the wall for the JT/JL Diesels?
Well That stinks becuase I love my Gladiator Diesel

PlayfulBird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT 2020 Rubicon Gobi
I reckon we will in the end go for hydrogen or similar style solutions, that we can use renewable or atomic power to do the electrolysis, but agree completely that it is irresponsible to make such stubborn and narrow minded decisions that will cost us even more in the long term. Short term the lobbies and politics want to see that route fully milked, what comes after that we will see.
In Germany I suspect more shaming of people (now they are shaming diesels and some larger engined petrol, soon it will be the people driving throwaway ev, ...) I think in the end most governments would love if the private use of vehicles be something only a small percent can afford, and that only commercial use will be acceptable and somehow subsidized to make it feasible.
I was hoping to get a 3.0 as soon as the issues, we keep seeing here, with the adblue and the dpf are solved. It is not a popular vehicle here, and a lot of people that bought it are every other week in the shop for the dpf system to be fixed (maintained. I think it is a batch issue because there are some using the vehicles without issue and some of those I would expect to have issues with the diesel... so who knows were those problems come from.
I am so happy I bought a Gladiator this year. The way I see it, it might be the last solid axle off-roader that I can actually use to travel into some really remote areas. The Land Cruisers that they import are also okay, but not that comfortable and capable as the Gladiator and the other solid axle trucks that one could import are not sustainable with the mpg and the prices here.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
I'll follow the money thank you. They have and are investing almost $500,000,000 across two plants to produce and assemble the 2.0. The retool is still going on.