Sponsored

Random Earplug review for topless driving!

tweak89

First Name
Leroy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2002 Thunderbird
Not sure how many folks do this, but being a motorcycle rider I learned the importance of using ear plugs to cut down on the wind noise and prevent any damage to my hearing. After my first couple of rides topless/doorless I started to use earplugs to make my longer drives more pleasant. Below 45 or so the wind noise is tolerable and you can actually have a conversation, but jump on the freeway doing 70+....nope!

Unlike motorcycle riding, where I'm not concerned with talking to someone else, riding around at highway speeds in a topless Jeep and trying to have a simple conversation isn't the easiest. I tried the plugs that I use for riding, but they are the standard foam plugs which reduce everything including voices. I also tried some plugs I have that are made for live music, but they didn't cut down the wind noise enough.

I found these: CLICK HERE on Amazon and though I would give them a whirl and, they really do the trick. You get a pair of plugs and a spare. You also get 3 different filters you can swap in and out. I ended up liking the middle filter which offers a 20db overall reduction, and they come pre-installed.

I had my wife talk in her normal voice while on the freeway and I was able to hear her, without plugs we had to shout to be able to hear each other clearly. They also provided the most pleasant driving experience in general compared to the plugs I already tried. Not sure if it's the material or the filters, but they work better for me the the foam and plastic body/silicone bud of my other plugs.

So, for those interested, there you have it!
Sponsored

5chema

First Name
Mateo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Canada Launch Edition (1of419)
Vehicle Showcase
I found these: CLICK HERE on Amazon and though I would give them a whirl and, they really do the trick. You get a pair of plugs and a spare. You also get 3 different filters you can swap in and out. I ended up liking the middle filter which offers a 20db overall reduction, and they come pre-installed.
Which one did you buy? Musician HD? Or motorcycle M? Or S? I can’t be sure if it’s only a question of colour or if there’s a real difference...

DougM55

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Did you try them riding your bike too? I’d be curious how they did with the motorcycle.

mazeppa

First Name
y= x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
This is the type I use for riding motorcycles, open top vehicles at speed, yard wok machinery, or whenever I need hearing protection, execpt I use earmuffs for shooting firearms.

Jeep Gladiator Random Earplug review for topless driving! Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 11.30.39 PM

I cut the string about 2 inches long for easy removal from my ear, I don't like the string looped around my neck especially when I have a full face helmet on. They are inexpensive (less than a $1 for a pair) and work well for my ears, they do not work for everybody.

Gross discalmier: I lick them before putting into my ears for a better seal.

Sponsored

OP
OP
tweak89

tweak89

First Name
Leroy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Which one did you buy? Musician HD? Or motorcycle M? Or S? I can’t be sure if it’s only a question of colour or if there’s a real difference...
I bought the red large size, whichever those are. I've worn them numerous times now and love them. Very comfortable. Great on the motorcycle as well.

mazeppa

First Name
y= x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
I bought the red large size, whichever those are. I've worn them numerous times now and love them. Very comfortable. Great on the motorcycle as well.

Custom made ar the best $. Everybody ears are different shape/size, what works good for one will not always work good for others. (You'r welcome, Mr Obvious )

Last edited:
OP
OP
tweak89

tweak89

First Name
Leroy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Custom made ar the best $. Everybody ears are different shape/size, what works good for one will not always work good for others. (You'r welcome, Mr Obvious )

Yes and no. I've had them in the past for motorcycle riding and was pretty satisfied. But, in this case, I don't want to simply mute ALL noise. These have interchangeable filter elements to tune them. I wanted less wind noise, but also to be able to hear my wife (or passenger) easily. So in this case these are a better choice, at least for me.

Capt.Grumps1075

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator sport s
Occupation
Towboat Captain
After 27 years in the maritime industry and riding Harleys since I was in high school. My hearing is shot anyways lol.
Sponsored