Sponsored

Ranting and Raving!

DLAW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 Nissan Pathfinder, '08 Honda Civic, '12 Honda CR-V, '16 Honda Odyssey, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Predicting the future
First off, please don't move this to another forum. I just spent almost an hour calling 2 dealers and chatting with Jeep online. I found out that none of them know shit. Not knowing the absolute details of what my JTO included when I bought it was my fault. However, I hadn't bought a new vehicle since 2002, when I bought my Tahoe. So, excuse me for overlooking the fact that my truck didn't have the auxiliary switch group. The auxiliary switch group is a $295 add-on option that comes with a larger battery, a stronger alternator, and the switches prewired.

After finding the part number myself, because NEITHER dealer part employee could find the part number, I was told just the switch bank was $375 plus tax. Also, it was on backorder. Also, it would be 3 hours of labor at $130/hr. So, $790 just to get the switch bank installed and no larger battery and no stronger alternator. And $130 per hour for labor? Are you shitting me? Exactly what year was it that mechanics charged as much as doctor's per hour?
Not that it makes it sting any less, but I wanted to point out one nuance here. When a Jeep is built on the line to include the AUX Switch Group, the Jeep is wide open and is extremely easy to wire up. They can get their costs down significantly by getting this installed on the assembly line.
Now that your Jeep is fully built and sealed up with panels, dash, seats, gaskets, weather striping....NOW you want the AUX Switch Group. That is the unfortunate reason for significantly costing more for the instalation.

With battery and Alternator, here is another nuance: When factory ordered, they are not selling you TWO of each. They are only selling you a minor upgrade to ONE of each. You don't get to take home two alternators if you got this on the factory line. But now, again with your Jeep already being built, you are asking for a bigger alternator and you currently have a used alternator in your Jeep that is not worth much to them or you. So, in the end, you are forced to buy a brand new large battery, and a brand new large alternator, and you get to keep your old ones.

It sucks. I feel your pain. Like others mentioned. There are other similar options and I wouldn't worry much about the alternator or the battery right now. Wait 2 years. You will need a new battery anyway! Upgrade when you kill it. And with the alternator....ask yourself if you are really going to be a power hog or not.

And one more point and I'll leave this alone....does your Jeep have the tow package? If so, I believe that's the larger alternator and a heavy duty engine cooler. Look into it!
Sponsored

StingGrayJT24

First Name
KH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Rubicon Gladiator
Not that it makes it sting any less, but I wanted to point out one nuance here. When a Jeep is built on the line to include the AUX Switch Group, the Jeep is wide open and is extremely easy to wire up. They can get their costs down significantly by getting this installed on the assembly line.
Now that your Jeep is fully built and sealed up with panels, dash, seats, gaskets, weather striping....NOW you want the AUX Switch Group. That is the unfortunate reason for significantly costing more for the instalation.

With battery and Alternator, here is another nuance: When factory ordered, they are not selling you TWO of each. They are only selling you a minor upgrade to ONE of each. You don't get to take home two alternators if you got this on the factory line. But now, again with your Jeep already being built, you are asking for a bigger alternator and you currently have a used alternator in your Jeep that is not worth much to them or you. So, in the end, you are forced to buy a brand new large battery, and a brand new large alternator, and you get to keep your old ones.

It sucks. I feel your pain. Like others mentioned. There are other similar options and I wouldn't worry much about the alternator or the battery right now. Wait 2 years. You will need a new battery anyway! Upgrade when you kill it. And with the alternator....ask yourself if you are really going to be a power hog or not.

And one more point and I'll leave this alone....does your Jeep have the tow package? If so, I believe that's the larger alternator and a heavy duty engine cooler. Look into it!
A lot of great points here. Don’t forget the aux battery. Don’t even get me started on that! Lol

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
I blame the way FCA bundles the options; they are easy to miss.

There are countless posts from owners who missed the proximity locks because the option sits all by itself. The auxiliary switches is the same.

On Wrangler, the auxiliary switches are included in the Max Tow Group, so it is hard to miss. But for some obscure reason, on Gladiator FCA separated the auxiliary switches from the Tow package, making it easy to miss.

The entire way Jeep has the JL/JT ordering system set up is one big mess. I mean, who really needs 12 different freaking trim levels?!?! And asking dealers for help is useless.
The options thing is a major issue on these. Ended up having to custom order due to all the crap with that. Got a rubicon cheaper than the Sport S on the lot. Prices are all over the place on JTs by 15k within the same model sometimes just due to that many options out there. I can't imagine the nightmare of buying off the lot based on that.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fiat 124 Spider, 2023 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The options thing is a major issue on these. Ended up having to custom order due to all the crap with that. Got a rubicon cheaper than the Sport S on the lot. Prices are all over the place on JTs by 15k within the same model sometimes just due to that many options out there. I can't imagine the nightmare of buying off the lot based on that.
I owned a fully-equipped 2019 Tacoma TRD Off-Road. Although I didn’t care for the engine or the transmission, optioning a Toyota was an eye opener in simplicity:
  1. There are only five trim levels
  2. They separate factory options from dealer-installed options.
    • Factory options are difficult to add after the fact, like power sunroof, heated seats and dual climate control. Factory options are neatly bundled and clearly detailed.
    • Dealer-installed options are easy-to-add things like side steps, mud-flaps, tonneau cover, etc. Dealer options are listed one at a time.
  3. The beauty was that to get a fully equipped Tacoma, I only had to CLICK ON TWO option groups: Premium Group and Technology Group. These two got me leather seats, heated seats, dual climate control, power sunroof, power rear slider, top-of-the-line audio, navigation, proximity locks, wireless charging, etc, etc.
Searching inventory was a breeze; I only had to look for trim and the two option groups.

The bottom line was that, in addition to getting a fully equipped truck without missing any major option, MSRP for a well equipped pickup with a rear locker, Bilstein shocks, crawl control, and everything under the sun, came to a modest $41,200. That was $10,000 LESS than a comparably equipped Gladiator.

I don’t know to this day if FCA’s ordering system is confusing on purpose —to be able to charge more money, or if it is just plain old incompetence.

Seeing Jeep dealers scramble with ordering parts and vehicles with the right options, my guess is the latter.

Last edited:

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fiat 124 Spider, 2023 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
A couple months before the pandemic struck, I found my Wrangler sitting on a dealer lot 1,000 miles away.

It had everything I wanted (V6, auto, Selec-Trac, rear LSD, Cold Weather Group, Safety Group, Max Tow, color-matched hardtop, 8.4 & Alpine sound, proximity locks); it was missing two things: leather seats and LEDs.

It was priced at 22% off MSRP! So I bought it, and later added leather and LEDs.

I couldn’t have gotten a deal that sweet on a factory order.

XJhawk

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Sales Manager
Ok, if you build a Jeep online, it spells out pretty clearly what each package is and what it comes with.
Anyone should be able to determine that $295 for Aux switches is a freaking steal.
I built mine online, ordered it, and got exactly what I asked for.

I wish I had gotten proximity locks, but at the time I just felt I didn't need it. It wasn't because I didn't see the box for the option clearly listed.

As for adding after the fact, yes, there will be labor. And most shops are going to be at or above $100/hr for that labor.

Watch a youtube on installing the factory AUX switches after delivery and you will see that there is a LOT to the job. Looked to be about a 3 hour job to me.

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Maybe.
My dealer wanted to knock 30% off my trade if I ordered a Gladiator vs. buying one in stock.
YMMV

Kevin
LOL, your dealer is demonstrating a propensity to suck rat peckers.

ETA : if the value of your trade is a variable contingent on what you are buying(dealer stock or order) , run away, your dealer is a thief.

Know what you are buying, know what you are selling, know your credit score and current finance rates. Failing any of those you are signing up to be a victim

Edited again for clarity

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
I owned a fully-equipped 2019 Tacoma TRD Off-Road. Although I didn’t care for the engine or the transmission, optioning a Toyota was an eye opener in simplicity:
  1. There are only five trim levels
  2. They separate factory options from dealer-installed options.
    • Factory options are difficult to add after the fact, like power sunroof, heated seats and dual climate control. Factory options are neatly bundled and clearly detailed.
    • Dealer-installed options are easy-to-add things like side steps, mud-flaps, tonneau cover, etc. Dealer options are listed one at a time.
  3. The beauty was that to get a fully equipped Tacoma, I only had to CLICK ON TWO option groups: Premium Group and Technology Group. These two got me leather seats, heated seats, dual climate control, power sunroof, power rear slider, top-of-the-line audio, navigation, proximity locks, wireless charging, etc, etc.
Searching inventory was a breeze; I only had to look for trim and the two option groups.

The bottom line was that, in addition to getting a fully equipped truck without missing any major option, MSRP for a well equipped pickup with a rear locker, Bilstein shocks, crawl control, and everything under the sun, came to a modest $41,200. That was $10,000 LESS than a comparably equipped Gladiator.

I don’t know to this day if FCA’s ordering system is confusing on purpose —to be able to charge more money, or if it is just plain old incompetence.

Seeing Jeep dealers scramble with ordering parts and vehicles with the right options, my guess is the latter.
Yep, own two toyotas, was so much more simple seeing them on the lot and in general the XLE was the XLE across all of them with no other changes. Made life super simple. Can't imagine if when I was trying to buy the van seeing 10 of the same trim level varying in cost as much as these things do.

Sponsored

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
And $130 per hour for labor? Are you shitting me? Exactly what year was it that mechanics charged as much as doctor's per hour?
I would not trust that doctor.

But seriously, I feel your pain. There are way too many individual options groups - even if it wasn't for the discount I would be custom ordering just to avoid having to hunt for the perfect Venn diagram of options on a lot somewhere. The switch group should be standard, period. Also - the garage door opener is a $400 option? What year is it?

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
LOL, your dealer is demonstrating a propensity to suck rat peckers.

ETA : if the value of your trade is a variable contingent on what you are buying(dealer stock or order) , run away, your dealer is a thief.

Know what you are buying, know what you are selling, know your credit score and current finance rates. Failing any of those you are signing up to be a victim

Edited again for clarity
Oh, when all was said & done, I got what I felt was a pretty good deal. And the couple options I had to forgo weren't all that critical.

Kevin

MyGeekDaddy

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Overland Gladiator
Occupation
Engineer
I sympathize with your frustration, it sucks.

As others have pointed out, you have other options, many less expensive and simple to install. Check this out for $249. Simple do it yourself install and works great.

https://www.amazon.com/Voswitch-JL300-Switch-Compatible-Wrangler/dp/B089YD1J14
This was I installed in my JTO after finding the same sticker shock from my local dealership.

In hind sight I think I was lucky to not have gone with the OEM Aux switch. The VOswitch is going to be a better option because of switch placement and larger switch capacity.

OP
OP
Snzzbry_Ovrlnd

Snzzbry_Ovrlnd

First Name
Lin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Army
Vehicle Showcase
I would not trust that doctor.

But seriously, I feel your pain. There are way too many individual options groups - even if it wasn't for the discount I would be custom ordering just to avoid having to hunt for the perfect Venn diagram of options on a lot somewhere. The switch group should be standard, period. Also - the garage door opener is a $400 option? What year is it?

OP
OP
Snzzbry_Ovrlnd

Snzzbry_Ovrlnd

First Name
Lin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Army
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks to everyone that responded. That's what I get for posting and then taking a nap. I didn't post this is the original, but I do plan to install an aftermarket kit myself. Maybe with a hand from a friend. If I can find one. Now, I have a selection to choose from. As always, my group here is amazing. Even the ones that told me I was an idiot.

Lin
Sponsored