y= x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
<SNIP>

Range is determined by battery POWER (not voltage, but output) and antenna.

<SNIP>
The fob uses a CR2450 battery, one of the larger if not the largest battery of this type. I know this battery number well, because each time I launder my fob, it's time for a new battery. I now purchase them in bulk.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Oh the horror! Just think how many JT/JL thread would been started if the fob would have been TOO SMALL.
This is the look I want for mine, rugged, he-man, steel plate - note the doors, and like the steel bumper - the BOLTS holding it together - a look almost like steel RIVETS.
A tough, Jeep look, and the name? HAHA - FITTING!
I'll contact Whirlpool and see if they can make me up a fob.

Jeep Gladiator Re-engineering the brick (keyfob) IMG_20201108_103744

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The fob uses a CR2450 battery, one of the larger if not the largest battery of this type. I know this battery number well, because each time I launder my fob, it's time for a new battery.
LOL - well, safer than money laundering like my wife keeps accusing me of each time she rescues money from my pockets when she does the wash.
So you buy those in bulk packs, eh? ;)

Squelch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi Gladiator, Energica Ribelle, Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
The fob uses a CR2450 battery, one of the larger if not the largest battery of this type. I know this battery number well, because each time I launder my fob, it's time for a new battery. I now purchase them in bulk.
Aren't you worried about damaging your washing machine? That thing might dent it or overload the motor.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
It's like imagining a world where Gladiator owners complain that Jeep didn't provide a way to lock the FABRIC tonneau cover. That was hilarity also.

Sponsored

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
an almost industrial "riveted" look with all of those screws looking like a riveted steel plate or armor
Eh, you know those serve a very important purpose, right? I mean, sure, they also look great, but they are there for a reason.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Eh, you know those serve a very important purpose, right? I mean, sure, they also look great, but they are there for a reason.
DUH
On the other hand, other bumpers have more integrated fasteners. In this case, they assumed - correctly - that people would prefer they not be smooth and integrated. Some of those parts could have been WELDED, etc. Or use carriage bolts with shallow heads....
There's been a couple of pickups made over the years where the trim, fenders, etc. had that same sort of look. In some cases, it was fake.
This is an example - not necessary, but looks "tough" - it's the sport version (and that horn cap is worth a fortune these days) ->

Jeep Gladiator Re-engineering the brick (keyfob) SX4-dash-NOS-speedo

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
On the other hand, other bumpers have more integrated fasteners. In this case, they assumed - correctly - that people would prefer they not be smooth and integrated. Some of those parts could have been WELDED, etc. Or use carriage bolts with shallow heads....
No, not really. I'm guessing you don't own a Rubi and haven't noticed the modular ability of the bumper? Such as easily removing the top cover to put in a winch, and then re-use the holes for things like lights? Carriage bolts would suck to deal with. Having installed things on mine, I appreciate the functionality and ease of dealing with them.

Jeep Gladiator Re-engineering the brick (keyfob) 1604862266606

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah for sure I know nothing about these bumpers. Never seen or touched one ;)

But I suspect you are missing my point. And that is that Jeep had a CHOICE of a dozen fastener styles - but chose deliberately what looks like rivets from a distance.

It's modular, it can be shortened, the skid plate bolts to it, yadda yadda - BUT, my point was that look at those screws - they COULD have done all of that - but done what other bumpers/companies have done - other bolt types including studs, carriage bolts, low profile fasteners of several sorts.
These have tall screws that from a distance appear like big rivets. They had options but chose to keep the industrial look

There are many other bumpers out there with bolts, removable parts and so on, and the fasteners lay close to the bumper surface -not standing proud and tall of the bumper.
They had a choice - they chose this style due to the close resemblence to rivets.

Yes, I had the ends off for a while, but put them back on for winter coming up.
Only 8 bolts per side need to be removed to take the ends off. 3 top, 3 bottom, 2 on the back of each end.

Just saying - as a former hardware store person, who has 3 big volumes of machinist handbook, they had several choices. I happen to like the industrial rivet look myself and am really glad they did that. It's one reason I CHOSE this bumper - the heavy-duty industrial riveted steel look. I like it.

Jeep Gladiator Re-engineering the brick (keyfob) 20201027_152230_HDR

Jeep Gladiator Re-engineering the brick (keyfob) 20201017_135829_HDR

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Must be the 232 engine, with the red line at 4500!
232 was gone several years by the time of this car.
It came with a 258, at 160,000 miles I swapped in a 4.0 with all electronics, etc..
I've wound both the 258 and 4.0 higher than 4500.

We had an older couple drive from IA to CA and back in their AMC. On the way through NE, the guy said the car made a sound and just didn't seem to be quite the same after that. He kept driving from the middle of NE to where I worked near Des Moines. I started to diagnose the "miss" and noted the side of the block had some wet fresh oil on it. I looked closer - it was cracked there.
The thing had tossed a rod and cracked the block low on the side.
The man drove it across the equiv of a whole state that way. Not wanting to pay to fix it, he gave our shop the car. My boss decided to have some fun and backed it into a corner of the shop, started it and put a block on the gas pedal. He wanted to see what it would be like to finish it off. It was SCREAMING like crazy.......... we waited, and waited, and waited......... finally my boss got bored and shut it off.

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
No, not really. I'm guessing you don't own a Rubi and haven't noticed the modular ability of the bumper? Such as easily removing the top cover to put in a winch, and then re-use the holes for things like lights? Carriage bolts would suck to deal with. Having installed things on mine, I appreciate the functionality and ease of dealing with them.

Jeep Gladiator Re-engineering the brick (keyfob) 20201017_135829_HDR
How exactly did you mount the lights on your factory steel bumper? If you posted that in a thread please share a link. I like that

BajaDrifter

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I don't have that nailed down yet. The design I showed today is a minimum viable product intended to show the smallest possible size. We are refining the fob from here and the final version won't look like a coffin. The blessing and the curse of additive mfg are the endless possibilities and customization. I am focusing the effort so it converges to completion. In the next week, I will narrow the options and post another update to include the expected price for each option. The price will be similar to the alternative option(s) available.
One thing I haven't seen mentioned is how easy will it be to change the FOB battery? I am very happy with the AJT fob except for the hour it takes to get that battery into it. It seems to be a common challenge for the AJT fob. I dread thinking about having to change that battery.

OP
OP
DC3

DC3

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Website
dilabs.cc
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT GDE Ecodiesel, 22 Polestar 2
Occupation
engineer
One thing I haven't seen mentioned is how easy will it be to change the FOB battery? I am very happy with the AJT fob except for the hour it takes to get that battery into it. It seems to be a common challenge for the AJT fob. I dread thinking about having to change that battery.
This is a focus area for us. I also have the AJT fob the the battery install is a test of patience. so far, the prototypes are proving easier to assemble.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
This is a focus area for us. I also have the AJT fob the the battery install is a test of patience. so far, the prototypes are proving easier to assemble.
We have had GC fob batteries last over 3, even 4 years. How long or short do these last and why such a short life? I had a wj fob last easily over 4 years
Sponsored