Sponsored

Rear Differential for Overland Trim

flipmode

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland
Hey All,

I've ordered a JT in the Overland trim and am otherwise very satisfied with my build selection. There is one thing that I overlooked (/didn't consider fully) during the order process, and that is the rear differential options for the Overland trim. I believe its called 'Trac-Lock' and its an LSD differential.

Jeep Gladiator Rear Differential for Overland Trim 1600061141754

(image per the Jeep website)​

The reason i didn't pick this options was for longevity concerns. I'm not real interested in "just another thing that will break". However, I've reconsidered.

I'm looking for input on this decision: Is the Track-Lock differential worth it? Is it possible to install this after-market? Are there better options for the Overland axles/usage? (Im not rock crawling, I'm towing a boat/trailer, trailing through forest trails on the weekends, and driving across the U.S. moderately often.)

Thanks!
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I can't really tell you if it's worth it, but I opted for it on mine. Living in the dry desert, it may never be needed, but I plan to move someday to a cooler climate.

Mike the mechanic

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
mechanic
If you are going to tow, get the tow package. It comes with the LSD.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I've had it in most trucks I've owned, and almost every car I've owned. Of course the JT version is superior to what's been in most of my cars over the years, including my current Javelin.
I chose it for my JT when ordering.
Needed? Dunno. But I've had them for so long I didn't feel like not having it.
I had one truck without it and it was worthless even on level lawn with wet grass.
My Chevy with LSD didn't even need 4H most of the time.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
It's kind of a bummer to not have an LSD even on dry pavement. I wish there was an LSD function included in the electric locker on the Rubicons. I had the same complaint with the H2, even with AWD on pavement, you get used to the on-demand oversteer when you want it on the street. The baked in understeer of ESC is boring!

I've had it in most trucks I've owned, and almost every car I've owned. Of course the JT version is superior to what's been in most of my cars over the years, including my current Javelin.
I chose it for my JT when ordering.
Needed? Dunno. But I've had them for so long I didn't feel like not having it.
I had one truck without it and it was worthless even on level lawn with wet grass.
My Chevy with LSD didn't even need 4H most of the time.
Sponsored