Sponsored

Resale value

Farmer Fran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude (Metro-Jethro) 2023
I had the same conversation with the Tundra guy and my RAM. He sold his tundra for what he paid. I sold my RAM for 5k less than i paid. He paid 10k more than my RAM. I made 5K on the deal.

So that is a moot comparison. Pay more sell more. Pay less sell less.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
I had the same conversation with the Tundra guy and my RAM. He sold his tundra for what he paid. I sold my RAM for 5k less than i paid. He paid 10k more than my RAM. I made 5K on the deal.

So that is a moot comparison. Pay more sell more. Pay less sell less.
That's uh... not how that works. At most he's out the additional sales tax and registration fees but you're out $5k.

Farmer Fran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude (Metro-Jethro) 2023
That's uh... not how that works. At most he's out the additional sales tax and registration fees but you're out $5k.
Lol, i really messed up my post. Ill post up actual numbers when i get to my pc.

I made 5k he broke even on final sale.

Sponsored

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
Curious what years this was? Tacomas do tend to hold their value, a lot it seems to be buying them right. Around my parts, good luck getting any Toyota for anything under MSRP + dealer installed “upgrades” or as I call them profit makers.
First one was a 2000 that I bought in 2003.
Then a 2005 that bought in 2011, I think it was.

Jeep Gladiator Resale value DSCN0143.JPG

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase

You have a very long ways to go if you plan on collecting the whole set.

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link

Well considering a 2003 is typically sold for more now than when it came out… Personally, not a fan as they are a little bland for me, but if you need a little truck you can beat on with little repercussion then the Tacoma is the truck for you.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
You have a very long ways to go if you plan on collecting the whole set.
I'd uh, stop there. First was good, second was outstanding, third gen was meh and 4th is just.... I'd stop at two. If you're going to collect Toyotas, the Land Cruiser or 4Runner are the way to go.

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
Well considering a 2003 is typically sold for more now than when it came out… Personally, not a fan as they are a little bland for me, but if you need a little truck you can beat on with little repercussion then the Tacoma is the truck for you.
They were both great trucks, and the company was even better.

They bought back the 2000 on the frame rust recall. Ten years out of warranty, and they gave me 1.5X KBB Retail for it.
I may have even made a little money on that one. I can't recall the exact numbers, but it was close to a wash.

I put that money into the 2005.
Another recall for frame rust, also well out of warranty, and they replaced the frame on that one, along with associated mounts, bushings, lines, etc.

Sold the 2005 for less than I should have to a friend when I bought the Mojave.
Probably cost me around $2K to drive that one for almost 12 years.

Test drove a 24 Taco a couple of weeks ago. Sadly, they're losing ground in a market that they owned.

Sponsored

TheDerb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon
Implying that Wrangler/Gladiator buyers are all buying for functionality is a stretch. The average Wrangler owner will never see more than a curb and the average Gladiator owner will never haul more than what you can put in a midsize SUV. These are lifestyle/fashion vehicles now and in that space, the Bronco is absolutely the top competition.

Had the person I was responding to not been all up in his feelings, he could have used the far better- and more accurate- comparable vehicle that is the Tacoma when telling us where he was going to go after he picked up his ball and left to play somewhere else with it.

Tacomas outsell the Gladiator 4:1. Higher trims are normally on dealership lots for less than 3 hours, and they suffer less than any other vehicle from that pesky "depreciation".

Oh, and you know, it's a truck. And it's in the same segment as the Gladiator. So your thesis on "lifestyle" vehicles wasn't necessary when there's a perfectly good similar vehicle he could have mentioned that wouldn't have made him come across as just needing a nap.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Had the person I was responding to not been all up in his feelings, he could have used the far better- and more accurate- comparable vehicle that is the Tacoma when telling us where he was going to go after he picked up his ball and left to play somewhere else with it.

Tacomas outsell the Gladiator 4:1. Higher trims are normally on dealership lots for less than 3 hours, and they suffer less than any other vehicle from that pesky "depreciation".

Oh, and you know, it's a truck. And it's in the same segment as the Gladiator. So your thesis on "lifestyle" vehicles wasn't necessary when there's a perfectly good similar vehicle he could have mentioned that wouldn't have made him come across as just needing a nap.
I get it, but the Gladiator more than any other vehicle in the midsize segment suffers from the lifestyle buyer more than any other because that's how Jeep positioned it. You can't get them 2wd so they are the highest sticker on the market and there's better options for the average pickup buyer in nearly every important category for someone who wants a pickup.

There are a lot of Gladiators around here and 60% of them are the same pavement princess builds as the JLs and Broncos that cosplay off road cred. Compare that to the rest of the market where most are using the other midsize pickups as pickups with the overland builds being the exception.
Sponsored