Diminished Value on JT

JRW

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator
I would start at 20% of the value and go from there. with all the information available and the fear mongering of rolling wrecks any ding on your report will most definitely impact the resale / trade in value.

Commodus

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue Gladiator, BMW X3
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I would start at 20% of the value and go from there. with all the information available and the fear mongering of rolling wrecks any ding on your report will most definitely impact the resale / trade in value.
There is a you tuber called the Chevy Dude that works selling vehicles for a Chevrolet dealership that does a great job of explaining diminished value after an accident. It may be worth your time to just review what he has to say about his own vehicle after an accident. Then determine if it is worth your time and effort.

htremper

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator (with toddler booster seat!)
Occupation
Rockstar
Hello all
its been a minute since i have posted, i have been cruising around in my tiny rental.

the person who rear ended me was found at fault by their insurance and has agreed to repair my vehicle, it is currently in the shop and is sitting at about $7K in repairs.

I have tried to find out what my vehicle would be worth right before the crash to possibly do a diminished value claim.
there isnt much out there used for the MT segment of JT's. and the crash is already linked to my VIN so everything i look up for my jeep specifically comes back lower than i think it should be or would be pre crash.

can anyone on the forum help me out with this or shoot me a number that isnt them throwing something at the screen because they dont like the thread lol.

Punkin RUBI MT

AUX Switch

Cargo Management Trail rail

Tow Package

approx 3800 miles
Super sorry to hear about your accident.

The SAME thing happened to my old JK, to give you a perspective here is what the dealer was going to offer to me

KBB - $26000
Dealer - $22000ish
Dealer Actual offer due to Carfax - $10000

Carfax said that there was "frame damage" because the bumper has to be straitened.

Hope this helps.

Sponsored

The Acme Company

First Name
jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE 2018 JLUR
For the Rubicon, below is the average current wholesale value:

Avg Cond
Typical Range
$46,600 -$53,500

I’d take the high figure and ask for 20 to 30 % of the high for diminished value.

the numbers are in your favor as this is still such a new vehicle.

OP
OP
kwiklot

kwiklot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
For the Rubicon, below is the average current wholesale value:

Avg Cond
Typical Range
$46,600 -$53,500

I’d take the high figure and ask for 20 to 30 % of the high for diminished value.

the numbers are in your favor as this is still such a new vehicle.
You are right, I still had paper tags on when it happened. Such is life.
I actually just used one of the companies someone referenced here, and they seem to be getting everything together, and will handle all the particulars with the insurance company.
thanks everyone for the replies I will update when I get an answer.

Glad8tor2020

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I was a dealer for over 27 years. It will come down to three things.

1. Quality of the workmanship in the bodyshop process. Believe it or not $7k is not a lot of money to repair a vehicle.
  2. Does it show on the CarFax and Autocheck as Major Damage, Minor, Frame Damage and was it operable to drive away or towed.
  3. Where you trade the vehicle in at. I always would give CarMax a chance to put a figure on it they tend to over value trades in certain markets.

If you have settled with the insurance company then you are stuck with the diminished value. If you are looking for the amount I always say divide it in two unless its gotten into the frame if thats the case you need to know that FRAME DAMAGE vehicles usually bring 5-10k back of rough book. So to recap I would ask for 4k in diminished value. If it has frame damage you need to go for a lot more.

kcrr2w

First Name
KC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I'm in Austin too. I traded in my Orange JKUR for Silver JTR. I wish I had Punkin JT. Do you have steel bumper?

Sponsored

Happycoop

First Name
Coop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
My last diminished value claim was from someone hitting my wife in her Prius (so roughly 50% of the value of a JT) which resulted in ~$4k in damages to a 6 month old car with 12k miles on it. After several negotiations, all repairs were paid for and I received a check for an additional $4.1k in my pocket for diminished value. When I sold the car 6 months later, I lost more than that due to the accident on record.

Rsss572

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GMC
Hello all
its been a minute since i have posted, i have been cruising around in my tiny rental.

the person who rear ended me was found at fault by their insurance and has agreed to repair my vehicle, it is currently in the shop and is sitting at about $7K in repairs.

I have tried to find out what my vehicle would be worth right before the crash to possibly do a diminished value claim.
there isnt much out there used for the MT segment of JT's. and the crash is already linked to my VIN so everything i look up for my jeep specifically comes back lower than i think it should be or would be pre crash.

can anyone on the forum help me out with this or shoot me a number that isnt them throwing something at the screen because they dont like the thread lol.

Punkin RUBI MT

AUX Switch

Cargo Management Trail rail

Tow Package

approx 3800 miles
A Jeep dealer should be able to tell you. Car fax is what causes the problem.keep in mind car fax sometimes takes a long time to show up.

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
A Jeep dealer should be able to tell you. Car fax is what causes the problem.keep in mind car fax sometimes takes a long time to show up.
This is a good point/ it does take a while for the Carfax to show up. They pull from accident reports and actually pay repair ships for repair info.

A buddy of mine who works for Toyota told me to always trade in a vehicle ASAP after an accident. If you can trade it in before that Carfax and get Diminshed value, it’s probably the ONLY way you will break even or maybe even come out on top.

some may say this is unethical, and personally I would only do to a dealer not an individual. My friend said that technically you the dealer is responsible for the condition of the trade in because they have their certified techs check everything over. What you tell them about the history doesn’t amount to really much because technically it’s all hearsay unless it’s on the Carfax...
Sponsored