Sponsored

JT not holding value

MarineHawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
FWIW, I just ran my trade in value on my JTR through Kelley Blue Book with the exact options I have and my 2.5K miles.

I bought mine 700 miles away from where I live on a rental-car road trip, which is where I found the first acceptable deal on a Rubicon without some of the items that most of them come with and that I don’t want. I have the smaller screen; no nav (I use my phone); cold weather group; tow package; tonneau cover; auto trans; and hardtop.

The sticker price was $50,175. I paid $45,000. Still looks and smells like new. KBB just told me that my trade-in value is $48,373—over $3K more than I paid for it, more than three months and 2,500 miles ago.
Sponsored

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
FWIW, I just ran my trade in value on my JTR through Kelley Blue Book with the exact options I have and my 2.5K miles.

I bought mine 700 miles away from where I live on a rental-car road trip, which is where I found the first acceptable deal on a Rubicon without some of the items that most of them come with and that I don’t want. I have the smaller screen; no nav (I use my phone); cold weather group; tow package; tonneau cover; auto trans; and hardtop.

The sticker price was $50,175. I paid $45,000. Still looks and smells like new. KBB just told me that my trade-in value is $48,373—over $3K more than I paid for it, more than three months and 2,500 miles ago.
That’s promising, but the dealers I’ve dealt with don’t use kbb value for trade ins. They use black book I think? It usually comes out to 2-3k less, and then depending on if you have high miles or if you had an accident even less...

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold) - Now Land Cruiser
Occupation
ME
May have something to do with the trim level? I just looked at KBB for my exact Rubicon with 4k miles and trade in on the lowest end is still more than I paid for mine brand new. Private party value on the lowest end is like $5,000 more than I paid for it even.

saintpauljeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubi, '03 BMW Z4, '20 Mitsu OutSport
Occupation
Software Developer
That’s promising, but the dealers I’ve dealt with don’t use kbb value for trade ins. They use black book I think? It usually comes out to 2-3k less, and then depending on if you have high miles or if you had an accident even less...
When I bought my Gladiator I used KBB to come up with the range I wanted for my trade, and the dealer paid me within that range. Have no idea if their calculation tool was the same or if they used different info, however.

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
When I bought my Gladiator I used KBB to come up with the range I wanted for my trade, and the dealer paid me within that range. Have no idea if their calculation tool was the same or if they used different info, however.
Yea that’s what I did with my JT and the truck I traded in. The black book or whatever they used was about 1500 less than the high end of kbb. They ended up giving me 2100 over what they should have given me for the trade. That extra for the trade in made the deal right for me at that dealer. They really over paid for my truck since it had 3 accidents on the car fax ... all before I bought it. One side had waves in it from the repair, the sales manager was in such a rush he probably didn’t see it and prob didn’t check the car fax is my guess. The internet sales manager was like ... uhm he really gave you way more than he should have lol.

The other dealers offered me 2000-1500 less for the trade with the same deal, I had my own financing.

So in the right situation I guess a trade can really make a deal, it did for me anyways.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Dealers here won't use KBB - they use NDA and some other tool. Even then they bitch and gripe about how much work it is to get a trade ready and it may sit and they may have to do this or that.
Some don't even use those guides.
The dealer I bought from, foolishly - looking back at things now - wanted to give me 16K for my LOW miles 2011 Silverado. I talked them up to 16,500 and they wouldn't budge from there even after I showed them both KBB and NDA and some other car guide from the web.
I ended up selling it for much more - privately - to a Chevy DEALER. They didn't hesitate, looked it over for a whopping minute, wrote me a check.
You guys who find these "deals" are lucky you don't live here.
I told my wife when it come to trade her Grand Cherokee - a MINT 2018 currently 11,000 miles on it, screw central Iowa dealers. I'm pretty much done with 'em. Looks like it would be worth a drive to Virginia, or Kentucky.
I'll be watching things like this thread and others to see where the dealers are that actually deserve the word "deal" in their name.

spenchey

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
spencer heywood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
every gladiator you could want

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for the kind words
I just found out the son of one of my wife's long time good friends works for the Motor Inn group - Steve Baker. I think he was selling in southern Iowa, though so I'm not sure how his parent's Jeep Cherokee has a Spirit Lake Motor Inn plate on it....... Small world. He got them into a really beautiful Cherokee - clean and nice.
I may have to start going there.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
So, I’ve been to a few dealerships with my JT trying to trade it for something bigger. Things changed over the last few months. Sticker was 46900. With max tow and many upgrades from factory, plus a few of my own (lift & wheels). Well they only offered $36-$38k. Only has 8k miles. My concern is do you guys think that these will hold value like the JKs and below. Or keep dropping considerably and crash. I Thought I was going to have good equity because they game me good trade on my jku. But guess I lost that money for not.
The dealership has to resell it. So a $47k truck by the sticker that could have been bought for $43k brand new would likely sell for around $39k on the used market. In order to make some profit, the dealership offered you around $37k. Seems right on the money to me.

I honestly think these will end up holding value better than Wrangler because Wranglers are a dime a dozen now. They're EVERYWHERE and that kills the market for them.

Sponsored

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold) - Now Land Cruiser
Occupation
ME
The dealership has to resell it. So a $47k truck by the sticker that could have been bought for $43k brand new would likely sell for around $39k on the used market. In order to make some profit, the dealership offered you around $37k. Seems right on the money to me.

I honestly think these will end up holding value better than Wrangler because Wranglers are a dime a dozen now. They're EVERYWHERE and that kills the market for them.
Which is what happened to the current generation Raptor (as @PyrPatriot posted above). I think if production sustains for another 5-ish years, we should have ourselves a cult classic on our hands!

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Steppenwolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX 350; 2016 Hellcat Challenger; 2020 Gladiator Rubicon.
If I could trade my Overland for a Rubicon and do it for under 10 totalhere's my JT Overland plus 7-8 grand, yeah, I'd have told 'em "order me one".
My dealer never even seemed to want to talk about Rubicon.
I asked him later why he never even tried to upsell me at all - his comment was a lame "well, you started looking at the sport" Well duh, yeah, that's what I SAW and I saw the specs - he never said "well for 3 grand more you can go Rubicon and get more of this and that".
I told him he missed out as had he shown us the Rubicon with the same options - but the much higher towing and payload, I'd have been all over it
I hear ya.

Actually I wasn't that impressed with the Overland after driving one.

I did test-drive all three trim levels and specifically drove two different Rubis on my dealers lot. One had the Mudders, the other the ATs.

My strategy was always to try to get into the Rubi trim (though not 'fully loaded') on the theory that it'll retain the highest resale or trade value longer than an Overland or Sport S.

My sales guy and I did a few 'draft builds' before placing the order. I kept reviewing the options/packages and rejecting those that either had no practical use or gave little value for the increase $$$ it added. Basically a whittling-down process to have just what I need/want, and nothing I don't. Plus, the aftermarket seems to be catching up to the Gladiator anyway. My sales guy has dealt with me before and knows my drill, so he's patient.

I feel the deal I negotiated on my Rubi is a good one, and we'll see if it meets my expectations after I've had it for a year or so ...

spenchey

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
spencer heywood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
every gladiator you could want
I just found out the son of one of my wife's long time good friends works for the Motor Inn group - Steve Baker. I think he was selling in southern Iowa, though so I'm not sure how his parent's Jeep Cherokee has a Spirit Lake Motor Inn plate on it....... Small world. He got them into a really beautiful Cherokee - clean and nice.
I may have to start going there.
Steve is a great guy!
Sponsored